News New security measures

doctornick

Get your toy guns, laser blasters, etc. TODAY if you want them.

I wonder if I'm the only one that is relatively apathetic about the metal detectors but really annoyed about the banning of the gun sales. Buying POTC guns has always been a family tradition (since I was a child) and with them looking so obviously fake nowadays (not to mention even more fake stuff like the Buzz laser pistols) it's annoying that they would halt the sales of these things.

drew81

Anyone taking bets on how long the average wait time to get into MK will be? Like from the time you get off the Monorail or Ferry.

30 minutes? 45? 1 hour?

s8film40

Like selfie-sticks, Guest Relations will take them and they can be claimed when leaving.
That's what I was thinking. Seems like this policy could very well have the opposite effect of its intention. If people are seen with toy guns it could easily be assumed with a knee jerk reaction that if guns and toy guns aren't allowed in the park that someone got a gun in with intentions to do harm and cause panic.

joup7

The reason the 90,000 soccer stadium doesn't take time is that they have hundreds of security staff that is getting people through. A 900 person broadway show has only 2-3 people checking. The soccer game also has several hours to get everybody in, whereas the broadway show only has like 30 minutes. Those two things combined is why the soccer game speeds through people quickly whereas the broadway show is slow.

When the NFL used to do pat downs at the stadiums, male security guards only patted down male patrons, and female security guards only patted down female patrons. That is still the case for those guests that can't go through a metal detector due to a pace maker or the like. So if a story occurred where a male security guard at Disney groped a teenage girl in a pat down, well that idiot deserves to be fired for breaking protocol.

How much metal detection slows down guests will depend on how much security Disney uses. If they use the same amount, it's going to be ugly. If they at least double if not triple security, they should be fine. Perhaps a slight slow down but nothing too bad. Where to place that additional security to fit at some of those entrances and bag checks, that's an interesting question.

tokengator

The attacks of 9/11 were executed utilizing objects allowed through airport security. They're proof that a planned, coordinated attack will get around such measures. Even since then, the increased security response to those attacks continues to repeatedly fail tests and even a few planned attacks that didn't happen due to bumbling of the perpetrator.

did you quote my post by accident because I am a little confused on how to respond since this isn't a topic I was discussing. I don't think the comment of mine is even from this thread.

PhotoDave219

The reason the 90,000 soccer stadium doesn't take time is that they have hundreds of security staff that is getting people through. A 900 person broadway show has only 2-3 people checking. The soccer game also has several hours to get everybody in, whereas the broadway show only has like 30 minutes. Those two things combined is why the soccer game speeds through people quickly whereas the broadway show is slow.

When the NFL used to do pat downs at the stadiums, male security guards only patted down male patrons, and female security guards only patted down female patrons. That is still the case for those guests that can't go through a metal detector due to a pace maker or the like. So if a story occurred where a male security guard at Disney groped a teenage girl in a pat down, well that idiot deserves to be fired for breaking protocol.

How much metal detection slows down guests will depend on how much security Disney uses. If they use the same amount, it's going to be ugly. If they at least double if not triple security, they should be fine. Perhaps a slight slow down but nothing too bad. Where to place that additional security to fit at some of those entrances and bag checks, that's an interesting question.

Assuming what I'm hearing is true, it will be a third party company doing this

s8film40

That would make sense as the labor costs would be extreme on this. A third party company will pay less hourly and other costs will be less. This is what Universal does during HHN, probably for the same reason. From my experience there they really aren't trained very much at all.

PhotoDave219

That would make sense as the labor costs would be extreme on this. A third party company will pay less hourly and other costs will be less. This is what Universal does during HHN, probably for the same reason. From my experience there they really aren't trained very much at all.

I'm sure everyone will report in tomorrow.... This has been the talk of Disney social media all night

FigmentsFangirl

So will this happen or not ? I'm not finding anything on any of their policies

Maybe what they should do is put those mobile detection systems just inside the gates, like the part under the tracks at MK or just before the turnstiles to scan through at the other parks ? They're like road barrier pillars, they're easy to go through.

But one thing is for sure, I wont go through the things flat broke! Why dont they just have that scanner machine to send the bags through instead ?

mm121

another advantage of delegating to a third party is it helps defray the heat or lawsuits if someone gets inappropriately touched

AEfx

Shut The Front Door...

So basically they are going to have a TSA-esque shadow organization running WDW security? For the love of all things Mickey...

I'll be honest - what really irks me is that this has nothing to do with the intention of keeping people safe, but liability. So if/when something does happen, Disney can claim they did everything reasonably possible, even though the way the place is set up, logistically WDW can never truly be locked down in such a fashion to make anything like this actually effective. Yet, Disney also is able to CYA by not being in charge of the third party company.

Well, it seems that Disney's big behind is covered, frontward and backward - which I guess is all that really matters to them.

AEfx

I wonder if I'm the only one that is relatively apathetic about the metal detectors but really annoyed about the banning of the gun sales. Buying POTC guns has always been a family tradition (since I was a child) and with them looking so obviously fake nowadays (not to mention even more fake stuff like the Buzz laser pistols) it's annoying that they would halt the sales of these things.

I'll second that. I think the metal detectors are going to be ineffectual, but at least a valid argument could be made for them. The toy gun thing? Complete and total BS. What are they going to do next, kick out kids who make a gun with their fingers and say "pew pew"? It just reeks of that public school over-sensitivity we hear so much about these days. I'm the first one to criticize the over-the-top gun culture in parts of our country, but relatively ancient things such as found in Adventureland/Frontieerland, or space lasers, etc. which will never be mistaken for an actual firearm.

Will they retheme Buzz and TSM to be blowing kisses instead of projectiles?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom