News New security measures

wdwgreek

Sporting events have been doing this for a while. At a soccer game that had 90K in attendance I went to recently, every single person was patted down and had their bags checked very carefully. It took 30 seconds per person. Other venues have worked out the kinks. Theme parks can too if they want.

This isn't a big deal.
A socor stadium with 90 thousand patrons had everyone patted down? Really, that is extraordinary are you sure you are not speaking in hyperbole? Did they pat down everyone? I see Broadway shows every other week and it takes twenty minutes to get 900 people through line to check their tickets. The turnstiles in the morning are chaos as is, metal detectors would add to the wait. I never said they couldn't do it, but it is still very non viable. Having people take off their shoes, their watches, empty there pockets for conveyor belts, that's what metal sectors entail? Also I have several questions about a pat down, is that constitutional to do to everyone or does it require previous probable cause. Can you imagine the lawsuit? Disney security guard groped teen girl in pat down. Its a nightmare, the idea is a nightmare.

Katie G

Why do people feel the need to pack most of their belongings to bring to a day at the theme parks? I can usually get away with a small wallet that fits in my back pocket, my car key and my phone and walk through the no bag line. Only rarely do I bring a very small bag for water and snacks and everything can be easily seen when you open the bag. ***I am female and can manage this***

I get that small children require some extra stuff, but what happened to those umbrella strollers we used as children? These range rover strollers with 20 storage compartments are ridiculous and unnecessary for a day in the park. And the parents that bring in the hiking style backpacks with another 50 compartments are also ridiculous.

If people just stopped bringing so much crap with them, security checks would be much easier. Maybe like stadiums and airlines, Disney should specify the size and type of bags allowed in. If it takes someone more than a minute to view every compartment, you must put it back in your car.

Travel Junkie

A socor stadium with 90 thousand patrons had everyone patted down? Really, that is extraordinary are you sure you are not speaking in hyperbole? Did they pat down everyone? I see Broadway shows every other week and it takes twenty minutes to get 900 people through line to check their tickets. The turnstiles in the morning are chaos as is, metal detectors would add to the wait. I never said they couldn't do it, but it is still very non viable. Having people take off their shoes, their watches, empty there pockets for conveyor belts, that's what metal sectors entail? Also I have several questions about a pat down, is that constitutional to do to everyone or does it require previous probable cause. Can you imagine the lawsuit? Disney security guard groped teen girl in pat down. Its a nightmare, the idea is a nightmare.

Yes, everyone at least that I saw. This was in Europe. It was before Paris but as you may know they have had a lot of problems with patrons being in weapons and starting riots, so they take security in soccer stadiums very serious. I was just trying to give of an example of how it can happen and happen efficiently if needed. I also was stuck in very inefficient security lines to enter museums all over Europe, so you have to commit to getting people through efficiently. I wouldn't expect pat downs in America because as you pointed out there would be lawsuits and cries of civil rights being violated.

That being said going thru metal detectors at sporting events including NFL stadiums that have to get a whole days MK attendance in a couple hours is standard now. For most people it would take the same amount of time as it does for them to look through your bag.

janoimagine

You do know that these measures don't do anything to make anyone safer from plot like threats? Common criminal maybe? All these measuresites do is make you feel better and Disney looks proactive....if somebody wants to do evil they will.
I think that statement could really apply anywhere and not just Disney.

the-reason14

Yeah I think Universal and Disney just have some practicality issues due to the larger scale and number of people. Sporting venues don't really have to worry about losing business as much as the big parks, people will put up for it more willingly for a game, but the prospect of taking a vacation and waiting in a half hour to hour long security line every day maybe twice a day of the trip is likely enough to make someone reconsider their plans.

This!! This might work better at Disneyland since you get your bag checked once, twice if you venture off to DtD and back. But doing this at Disney World sounds like it's gonna be a nightmare. It took between 20 to 30 minutes to get pass the bag check at the MK. I can only imagine the irritation a newcomer would feel that had to wait in line to park their car, wait in line to board a tram, wait in the next line for a monorail or ferry boat, just to wait in another line to get their bag checked and get in. That's about an hour and a half wait after you park your car. That's too much. They need a central location were they can inspect people and they not have to worry about it after that. Imagine having to go through airport security every time you have a connecting flight. That's how it'll be to park hop.

dizda

Is there a credible source for these rumors about metal detectors? So far, all I have seen cited is Intercot.

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

So, Disney's getting free security using my tax dollars? Why is this OK? They should be out patrolling other businesses and residential areas, not patrolling a theme park.
Disney also paid for the new Disney Springs garage's with tax dollars... I don't think it's a big deal that they have police officers there. It's a good precaution

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Regarding the K9 teams - data based on at least TWO observations, from past trips....

At least twice, my wife and I (as well as others) were very SLIGHTLY delayed getting on to a bus from the MK to our Hotel. When the bus was empty - a K9 team member and dog made a quick sweep of it... took less that 2 minutes.

Now, thinking about this? I'm encouraged. Given an empty bus, what was the dog looking for? Purely a personal opinion, as WDW does not tell me these things.... I suspect any of gunpowder, C4, or any other common chemical based threat - many of which will go right THROUGH a Metal Detector.

Did this make MY family feel safer? Hell yes :).

s8film40

Regarding the K9 teams - data based on at least TWO observations, from past trips....

At least twice, my wife and I (as well as others) were very SLIGHTLY delayed getting on to a bus from the MK to our Hotel. When the bus was empty - a K9 team member and dog made a quick sweep of it... took less that 2 minutes.

Now, thinking about this? I'm encouraged. Given an empty bus, what was the dog looking for? Purely a personal opinion, as WDW does not tell me these things.... I suspect any of gunpowder, C4, or any other common chemical based threat - many of which will go right THROUGH a Metal Detector.

Did this make MY family feel safer? Hell yes :).
My understanding is the Disney K-9's are trained for explosives.

rucifee

Disney also paid for the new Disney Springs garage's with tax dollars... I don't think it's a big deal that they have police officers there. It's a good precaution

I was wrong about the security issue, it's not just my/our tax dollars. Disney has a contract with Orange and Osceola county sheriffs offices to provide resources to the parks.

Paying for a parking garage with tax dollars would be pretty dirty, but I thought they funded that themselves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom