News New security measures

Travel Junkie

I really am getting the impression they are doing the bare minimum. Two metal detectors for MK is just silly.

We keep talking about the illusion of security they are creating, I partially wonder if that illusion is directed at whatever government entity suggested this.

I'm sure partially this is because the decision was made so quickly and this is the result when you rush it.

However if they made the decision to take this step they need to actually do it. Tipping your toe in the water does no good at all. Commit or don't do it at all.

ToTBellHop

I really am getting the impression they are doing the bare minimum. Two metal detectors for MK is just silly.

We keep talking about the illusion of security they are creating, I partially wonder if that illusion is directed at whatever government entity suggested this.
Could be. Perhaps they had the same concerns as we listed and said, "sure, we will randomly screen everyone who looks like the terrorists on Homeland until you tell us 'Merica is safe again."

cslafferty

On our trip week of Thanksgiving I saw the K9 patrol outside the MK in dark grey military style fatigues and boots. The large German Shepard had a vest with large letters "Do Not Pet". That was the first I'd seen of this type of security outfits at WDW.
On our trip week of Thanksgiving I saw the K9 patrol outside the MK in dark grey military style fatigues and boots. The large German Shepard had a vest with large letters "Do Not Pet". That was the first I'd seen of this type of security outfits at WDW.
We were at Disneyland Dec 4-10; right after the San Bernadino incident. We also saw stepped up security and K-9 patrol. However, I was wearing a black back brace, as I'm recovering from back surgery. It's worn under my shirt, but you can still see that I'm wearing something under there. Since the Paris attackers used explosive vests, I was prepared to at least be questioned about my brace. But, no one asked.

As we stood packed in like sardines waiting for the fireworks, I remember thinking about what an explosion in the middle of a crowd like that - and the ensuing stampede of terrified people - would be like. But, it wouldn't make me leave. I was with my husband in one of my favorite places, so if it's my time, so be it. Won't let this rule my life.

draybook

Should I be flattered that you were tickled by my comments?

The point is that it is easy to be overly critical of people and policies when you bear no responsibility in the outcome. If it was you that were forced to make these difficult decisions and had all the information in front of you that the public doesn’t have (and there is a lot that isn’t being said) your tune may change. Without getting political isn’t it so interesting to see candidates criticize the current administration, but when they take office make the exact same decisions? It’s easy to shout from the rooftops. It’s another to actually take responsibility over your decisions and in this case those decisions affect the safety of thousands of people every day. The decision makers erred on the side of caution. I can’t fault them for that even if it isn’t the ideal solution. I’m sure things will evolve over time.

Most people are flattered to be mentioned by me, the one with the Great Hair™, but I'll leave that decision up to you. And I still don't see how adding 90+ year old technology is going to help. People were bringing guns in for 44 years without an incident. People will now be gun free, without incident. End result is the same but they're just adding more to the equation. But honestly, I'm more piping hot about the possible costume ban on 14+ than I am the metal detectors.

DManRightHere

So when the gates opened for tonight's Christmas party at the Magic Kingdom, there was a stampede of guests and not a single one was randomly selected for metal detection. Methinks the system is far from ready for prime time.

Random selection? That is how they're using metal detectors? I thought they would at least just scan all guests with no bags with only a couple metal detectors.

The current setup seems like it's only deter guests from purposefully bringing a gun (but are not necessarily a real threat). Nothing to do with stopping terrorism. I sure hope they have some other sort of measure in place for that type of threat.

fillerup

They should scan everyone or no one. It's human nature to stare at and discuss something curious going on.

Everybody not selected will be staring at someone taken to the metal detector and wondering what they did wrong. "Mommy, what did that man do?"

My wife, for one, hates being the center of attention in public and would likely burst into tears if she was taken aside for extra screening. If that happens, there's going to be at least one Disney manager who's going to experience a very un-magical day, courtesy of me,

I'm praying this backfires in a huge way for TWDC. Theater, totally theater.

s8film40

Yeah that's a perfect example of the mess they're getting into. We currently have so many double standards in our society. It seems like the groups that are more vocal about their current standing get far more leeway than those that are more established. Disney bounding by definition is not really supposed to be a "costume" it's clothing that evokes a certain character. At what point does it become a costume. Secondly if your going to allow people to wear clothing that's part of their religion or heritage you really shouldn't exclude certain ones like Busch Gardens did in that scenario.

lazyboy97o

But, more importantly, of all of the weapons found, how many were intended for harm on the plane, as opposed to someone just forgot it was in their carry-on or person? The TSA loves to tout how many weapons they found, but, that is not the same as they have prevented a tragedy.
And that is what makes these tests so disturbing as they show how far a little planning can go in circumventing these types of measures.

PhotoDave219

Yeah that's a perfect example of the mess they're getting into. We currently have so many double standards in our society. It seems like the groups that are more vocal about their current standing get far more leeway than those that are more established. Disney bounding by definition is not really supposed to be a "costume" it's clothing that evokes a certain character. At what point does it become a costume. .

Careful..... You re Heading into special snowflake territory.... I mean this is every mid-30s living at home safe space....

s8film40

Careful..... You re Heading into special snowflake territory.... I mean this is every mid-30s living at home safe space....
Yeah ultimately I feel everyone should be treated fairly. If they don't spell out what is and isn't allowed that will be impossible. One persons costume is another persons religious expression. We all see things from different perspectives, and I think it's important that they communicate to people what is allowed and what isn't rather than making judgements when people arrive.

Dragonrider1227

It's going to be weird going into POTC's gift shop with no toy guns but I feel that was inevitable. Terror threats or not. You can get better (for probably a lot cheaper) online anyway
The bubble guns seem extreme though...

rucifee

It's going to be weird going into POTC's gift shop with no toy guns but I feel that was inevitable. Terror threats or not. You can get better (for probably a lot cheaper) online anyway
The bubble guns seem extreme though...

You've never been hit in the eye with one them there bubble gun bubbles, now have you...those things are dangerous! Even worse, walking into a stream of bubbles shot by a cast member lookin to sell his or her bubble guns while you're talking to your buddy... nasty! *shudder*

Those things should be illegal, banned, and anyone caught shooting one should get a minimum sentence of 10 bubbles shot in their face and mouth. They'll think twice about ever doing that again, let me tell you.

PhotoDave219

Yeah ultimately I feel everyone should be treated fairly. If they don't spell out what is and isn't allowed that will be impossible. One persons costume is another persons religious expression. We all see things from different perspectives, and I think it's important that they communicate to people what is allowed and what isn't rather than making judgements when people arrive.

I agree with you. I'm just trying to lighten the mood...

Clamman73

I'm ok with the bubble guns being banned...I actually cover the front of my camera walking through the stream of them for fear of one popping on the lens.

Gringrinngghost

If you go to more of the regional parks like Cedar Fair, Six Flags you go through metal detector. For some at Six Flags great adventure up in New Jersey, the Metal detectors have been around since 1987. On April 19, 1987, an unidentified gunman fired several shots into a crowd on the plaza inside the main gate, wounding one man and sending panicked guests running for safety. It was the third violent incident of the day, following two earlier unrelated stabbings. The park was evacuated a few minutes after the shooting, about an hour earlier than its scheduled 8:00 p.m. closing time. Park officials modified security after the incident, including adding metal detectors at the park's entrance. I'll say that's the straw that broke the camels back was last week's incident with the guest and the 10 years expired concealed carry permit as he did try to bring a gun into the Magic Kingdom. While it is a refreshing change it does kind to bring in the reminder of what all around us and that we have to be vigilant about our safety and for one I applaud the parts for doing it. I do have some minor issues with it that's more regarding placement and that's only with Universal Orlando.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom