News New security measures

FigmentsFangirl

I think it's safe to say this has absolutely nothing to do with that situation.
I think it does have everything to do with that situation, because before any of that, they were pretty good guys, always on the ball, and now metal detectors, which aren't even needed, now, if its for important events {like the christmas parties, or the marathon or the like} then yes I understand the need for metal detectors at the park entries; no problems there

Matt_Black

Sad day for America. Thought this was the land of the free and the home of the brave. I think it's ironic that we have attractions (Hall of Presidents and American Adventure) that showcase America fighting to rid itself of the type of tyranny that Disney now has at its gates. These attractions tell us how lucky we are to have the freedoms that America provides, but clearly Disney doesn't want to uphold and respect the 1st (no costumes), 2nd (guns) and 4th Amendments (bag search).

The Bill of Rights just says that the government can't infringe, just like how the President can't tell me not to use cuss words but has no problem with my job firing me if I use those in front of customers.

s8film40

So, let me ask you all this....are they screening the bags of guests staying in the rooms that face the Magic Kingdom? Couldn't someone have a grenade launcher or bazooka in their bags and fire away at the castle? Are they screening you before you get on the monorail? Nope.
I have personally seen people check into the hotels with long rifle cases. These were hunting rifles and the guests had no reason to hide them as they had no bad intentions. However with the crazy things I've seen people bring to hotels hiding something like what you mentioned would be very easy.

PhotoDave219

I think it does have everything to do with that situation, because before any of that, they were pretty good guys, always on the ball, and now metal detectors, which aren't even needed, now, if its for important events {like the christmas parties, or the marathon or the like} then yes I understand the need for metal detectors at the park entries; no problems there

Metal detectors at Disney have been debated for roughly 14 years now.

I just never thought I'd see it. Never thought I'd see Intercot be right either.

s8film40

Guns make it into the parks all the time, that situation was nothing new. I would bet there are a few guests in the park with guns right now as we speak. It's apparent that this came from some sort of government suggestion/recommendation probably and hopefully based on some sort of intelligence gathering. If the government simply thought that guns weren't getting in because Disney has a rule and does bag check and realized this to not be the case based on this situation then we are in far greater danger than anyone realizes.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Well if the goal is to screen out weapons, you'd want to screen everyone, right?

Doing random checks just doesn't se
Me to be the way to do that.

But you're making an assumption (a reasonable one I acknowledge) that the goal is to screen out weapons. What I'm trying to say is that none of us know what they were alerted to that prompted this change. That all of the park operators made essentially the same change on the same day suggests something specific they were alerted to.

Everything beyond that is hyperbole, fear-mongering and negativity for it's own sake.

FigmentsFangirl

Metal detectors at Disney have been debated for roughly 14 years now.

I just never thought I'd see it. Never thought I'd see Intercot be right either.
Same here on both counts, I dont trust Intercot with their info, but once in a very great while, they're right. I myself can't even think of disney even USING metal detectors to begin with. Butr I understand they want us safe, but whose to stop some random dork from setting off a bomb belt on those waiting to go through ? What will happen then ?

But the good thing is, this is only in the testing phase at this time. They may be looking for a more perm solution

One thing is for sure, the no costumes for guests 14 and older will indeed put a cramp on the halloween party goers and familes that all wear costumes. Though I will be honest, it'll be nice to see lesser cosplays. Some of them are a little.... well, not PG13

Travel Junkie

Number 2 really tickled me. ..

Should I be flattered that you were tickled by my comments?

The point is that it is easy to be overly critical of people and policies when you bear no responsibility in the outcome. If it was you that were forced to make these difficult decisions and had all the information in front of you that the public doesn’t have (and there is a lot that isn’t being said) your tune may change. Without getting political isn’t it so interesting to see candidates criticize the current administration, but when they take office make the exact same decisions? It’s easy to shout from the rooftops. It’s another to actually take responsibility over your decisions and in this case those decisions affect the safety of thousands of people every day. The decision makers erred on the side of caution. I can’t fault them for that even if it isn’t the ideal solution. I’m sure things will evolve over time.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
But you're making an assumption (a reasonable one I acknowledge) that the goal is to screen out weapons. What I'm trying to say is that none of us know what they were alerted to that prompted this change. That all of the park operators made essentially the same change on the same day suggests something specific they were alerted to.

Everything beyond that is hyperbole, fear-mongering and negativity for it's own sake.
I think this is the key to it all. There is something outside of public knowledge that has forced the parks into doing this. It wasn't a Disney organized plan to do this - it was somehow pushed onto them. This was all done at the very last minute, and with little time for planning.

Now going forward there could be plans to do a proper permanent install that will screen everyone in some way, but this to me is clearly a temporary situation done to meet a specific need.

PhotoDave219

Same here on both counts, I dont trust Intercot with their info, but once in a very great while, they're right. I myself can't even think of disney even USING metal detectors to begin with. Butr I understand they want us safe, but whose to stop some random dork from setting off a bomb belt on those waiting to go through ? What will happen then ?

But the good thing is, this is only in the testing phase at this time. They may be looking for a more perm solution

One thing is for sure, the no costumes for guests 14 and older will indeed put a cramp on the halloween party goers and familes that all wear costumes. Though I will be honest, it'll be nice to see lesser cosplays. Some of them are a little.... well, not PG13

I remember seeing a very risqué Snow White in 2004....

Unchanged, because they are in a fixed location and can't be mistaken for real weapons.

Fixed, yes. Can't be mistaken for real weapons? Really? But the bubble guns can be? LOL! Whole thing is silly. December 2015 might have been my last trip. I haven't flown in 10'years because I have rejected the tyranny. Haven't carried a bag into a park in almost 15 years. Think I'll just sit home, polish my guns, drink scotch and watch my copy of A Dream Called Walt Disney World.

FigmentsFangirl

I remember seeing a very risqué Snow White in 2004....
Dont get me started on the star wars/disney crossovers, imagine snow white as a slave princess..... That is not exactly PG13 or even for disney to see at their parks. Dont get me wrong, the work these cosplayers put into their costumes is amazing to get things to look and work right. But costumes like that should be at a convention or the like, not at Disney parks.

Anyhow back on topic before we derail it too much. Those no costumes over 14 thing will put a cramp on the halloween parties, or will they give important instructions on how to wear your costume at the parties at a later date ?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Is there any indication that similar measures are being implemented in the California parks (Disney and otherwise), or is this just a Florida thing?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom