News New security measures

note2001

Got to stop them from buying toy guns at Pirates of the Caribbean.... big security risk.
Thanks Disney !!!
I'm saddened by this too. My youngest's only desire other than a balloon (which he never got as we stayed at AKV most of the time) was a toy gun from the cart in Adventureland. The odd thing here is that airport security stopped him over his toy monorail which I don't believe they make anymore, but didn't blink at the toy gun.

The good news - those toy guns are being shipped off to somewhere. Most likely the clearance center. Expect them to show up in bulk on ebay.

Minthorne

I personally feel safer without the threat of bubble guns in the parks. On one trip I was walking in Epcot when a young girl of maybe 6 was spraying bubbles everywhere. I started popping some of them and she immediately stopped and looked at me with a very serious face and said, "Don't you pop my bubbles!" People with guns feel like they can boss other people around!

(for those taking this seriously - I end joke now, yes?)

NowInc

In case any of you were wondering, this is the same company handling the metal detectors:

Sources are saying that all the theme parks were urged by the government to implement these measures...it seems a bit coincidental that CSC is getting the biggest boost from that advice..

Also...confirmed at Disneyland today as well.

I personally feel safer without the threat of bubble guns in the parks. On one trip I was walking in Epcot when a young girl of maybe 6 was spraying bubbles everywhere. I started popping some of them and she immediately stopped and looked at me with a very serious face and said, "Don't you pop my bubbles!" People with guns feel like they can boss other people around!

(for those taking this seriously - I end joke now, yes?)

Did you tell her you were for bubble control????

wdwgreek

I am extremely upset, today at the Magic Kingdom they installed Metal detectors, three units for random screening, let me tell you how infuriating this is.
1. Metal detectors will not stop a terrorist, if they want to do damage they will do damage a metal detector won't stop anything. This is lip service security that doesn't increase safety but makes people think they are doing something. Dinsey has a crack team of former military and police officials monitoring the parks 24 hours, following online traffic and making sure that their guests are safe. In the 14 years since 9/11 they have protected the park, but because of the current hysteria they install metal detectors. Simple lip service.
2. You are being more risky in your car. You are at a higher risk of getting injured in your car today then being affected by terrorism,
3. Metal detectors with random crowd screening will undoubtly lead to to discrimination and racial profiling. White profiling to scan people who are more likely to conceal carry and middle-eastern and black or African American. No doubt.
4. The plaque under the train station says her you leave today and enter a world of fantasy, yesterday and tomorrow. The thematic journey begins at the ticket both, but now a cloud of anxiety will hover over your entire Disney trip. Here you leave nothing, be anxious is the new message. Shame on Disney, a little kid will see the metal detectors and be frightened, a mother or father now will be reminded how dangerous leaving their house can be and have the anxiety hanging over there head.
5. It is a symptom of the fear mongering that is so so prevalent in today's society. Here take my freedoms until I feel safe, give me inconvience if it means i'll feel safe. Tough news people, this doesn't make you safer. Disney putting metal detectors up does not make you in any way safer. To those who say the inconvenience is worth the safety, then why don't they put us through metal detectors at the monorail, of ferry boat or shopping mall or our local schools? or local super Walmart, just as dangerous.

There is risk everywhere, this does nothing to solve the problem and it does everything to escalate fear and anxiety, undermining the guest experience. (actual letter I wrote to Disney)

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
My question is why now? It seems something triggered this. Maybe the recent terrorist attacks? Maybe something more?

Personally for me, I'm not going to overreact to a couple of metal detectors until I can see how this all plays out.

Now if they go through with the costume ban for MNSSHP...that would suck.

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
Premium Member
I personally never understood why Disney has not permanently installed metal detection or at least a pat down search at the entrance. I always bypass the bag check and walk right in wearing my cargo shorts with the pockets full of stuff and the pockets could easily conceal a compact handgun without anyone noticing.

I think many people would be shocked at what gets through the gates @ WDW and other theme parks.

Anytime I go to a concert or sporting event I see everyone going through metal detectors, wand metal detection and then pat down if needed.

We were there Dec 3-12. I had cargo shorts on daily. I was asked what was in them several times. I was asked to take something out once.

It was the first time either has happened to me at WDW.

note2001

Disney's really good with handling the questions and concerns from children at bag check (Looking for poison apples, etc). I'm sure they want to keep it totally professional at the scanner, but kids won't be scanned and if asked why others need to be they'll have Disney-like responses ready to disarm the child.

KrazyKat

Remember, our US gov't doesn't really tell us everything. It's going to be a couple of very busy weeks coming up, Christmas is always the busiest.

It's the reality of our world now after 9/11 and the recent attacks.

SUCKS

s8film40

Disney's really good with handling the questions and concerns from children at bag check (Looking for poison apples, etc). I'm sure they want to keep it totally professional at the scanner, but kids won't be scanned and if asked why others need to be they'll have Disney-like responses ready to disarm the child.
I think you missed the part were this is a contracted company. I would love to see these CSC employee's responses to a question like that.

gmajew

Premium Member
I am extremely upset, today at the Magic Kingdom they installed Metal detectors, three units for random screening, let me tell you how infuriating this is.
1. Metal detectors will not stop a terrorist, if they want to do damage they will do damage a metal detector won't stop anything. This is lip service security that doesn't increase safety but makes people think they are doing something. Dinsey has a crack team of former military and police officials monitoring the parks 24 hours, following online traffic and making sure that their guests are safe. In the 14 years since 9/11 they have protected the park, but because of the current hysteria they install metal detectors. Simple lip service.
2. You are being more risky in your car. You are at a higher risk of getting injured in your car today then being affected by terrorism,
3. Metal detectors with random crowd screening will undoubtly lead to to discrimination and racial profiling. White profiling to scan people who are more likely to conceal carry and middle-eastern and black or African American. No doubt.
4. The plaque under the train station says her you leave today and enter a world of fantasy, yesterday and tomorrow. The thematic journey begins at the ticket both, but now a cloud of anxiety will hover over your entire Disney trip. Here you leave nothing, be anxious is the new message. Shame on Disney, a little kid will see the metal detectors and be frightened, a mother or father now will be reminded how dangerous leaving their house can be and have the anxiety hanging over there head.
5. It is a symptom of the fear mongering that is so so prevalent in today's society. Here take my freedoms until I feel safe, give me inconvience if it means i'll feel safe. Tough news people, this doesn't make you safer. Disney putting metal detectors up does not make you in any way safer. To those who say the inconvenience is worth the safety, then why don't they put us through metal detectors at the monorail, of ferry boat or shopping mall or our local schools? or local super Walmart, just as dangerous.

There is risk everywhere, this does nothing to solve the problem and it does everything to escalate fear and anxiety, undermining the guest experience. (actual letter I wrote to Disney)

It is a necessary evil of the world we live in today.... This is not a disney issue this is a world issue. People are crazy and it takes one gang banger or nut or extremist to make a trip to a movie or school or a trip to a mall or even disney to destroy a family lives for ever.

I again state we can not let fear rule us we need to keep going to these places and showing we are not afraid but extra protection extra security has to happen to catch those that are not smart enough to not get caught... anything helps!

Horizons1

Also, if all guns are being removed from the park, when do you guys think Buzz will close down? I want to ride it one last time before it closes for good. :(

PhotoDave219

In case any of you were wondering, this is the same company handling the metal detectors:

Sources are saying that all the theme parks were urged by the government to implement these measures...it seems a bit coincidental that CSC is getting the biggest boost from that advice..

Also...confirmed at Disneyland today as well.

I've heard the same things.....

note2001

I think you missed the part were this is a contracted company. I would love to see these CSC employee's responses to a question like that.
I saw that this is a contract company, but don't think children will be brought up to the scanner, but rather kept apart from it with a Disney employee while the family member is scanned. That in itself could cause some distress to the child as they don't like to be separated, but I'm sure what they'll do is place the child on the other side of the scanner so they can see mommy/daddy walking toward them.

I also think Disney will eventually take over the scanning operation on their own once they have their own owned scanner and training in place. Maybe they can make the scanner look like a looking glass and theme it to Alice, and tell the kids that some adults need to step through it to believe in magic.

rucifee

Here take my freedoms until I feel safe, give me inconvience if it means i'll feel safe.

I'm on the "this is security theater" "profiling" and "lip service to security" side of the argument here, but exactly which freedom is it that you will be losing by having to walk through a metal detector before entering a theme park?

wdwjmp239

On Friday, 12/11/15, I was at the MK with my wife and two kids. As we were heading back to the hotel, I noticed a couple of Osceola County Police Cars near the bus stations out front with a cop talking to a couple of security guards at the entrance. I didn't hear anything specific about why they were there (we walked right by them), but it makes sense now.

From the Fort Myers News-Press:
http://www.nbc-2.com/story/30774656/metal-detectors-installed-at-disney-parks-seaworld#.VnLYW-K1PBw

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom