New Samantha Brown special

draybook

Original Poster
Not sure if this goes here or if anyone posted this but I wanted to make sure it's known. Samantha Brown has a new Disney special that will run tomorrow night (Saturday) at eight (8) o'clock Eastern standard time on the Travel Channel!! :sohappy:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Thanks! Any idea what its about?

From the Travel Channel website:

Best Places I’ve Ever Been is a new series on Travel Channel that takes the best from a team of experts who’ve seen it all. In a 1-hour special edition, entitled Disney Memories, some of Scripps Networks’ marquee names step away from their own shows to dish about their most treasured Disney memories, from their very first view of Cinderella Castle to the cherished Disney brochure they saved from a childhood visit.

Join Samantha Brown from Travel Channel, David Bromstad from HGTV, Melissa d’Arabian from Food Network, Matt Blashaw from DIY, Nan Kelley from GAC and Roger Mooking from Cooking Channel as they deliver their take on where to go and what to do when it comes to all things mouse-eared.

These hosts from each of the 6 Scripps Networks will relive some of their most treasured Disney Memories, make new memories when they visit their favorite park spots and be interviewed about all the things they love about Disney.

Disney Memories premieres Saturday, February 12, at 8 E/P.

coffeebean

I read this thread just in the nick of time to set my DVR. I'll watch it live but record it for my husband. Thanks to OP (Original Poster).

WDW1974

It is bad ... very. Watching now. Just a scripted commercial for Disney's memories campaign.

And, yes, you really can use the word MAGIC too much (if you've been watching, you'll know what I mean).

Also, not sure how publicized it was but Samantha and Disney had a very rocky relationship of late that seemed headed for court, but I guess they kissed and made up.

Tigger1988

Every show on the Travel Channel is promoting something, not sure what you were expecting...

Nice show so far, thankfully the Samantha Brown parts were kept to a minimum.

stitch2008

It is bad ... very. Watching now. Just a scripted commercial for Disney's memories campaign.

And, yes, you really can use the word MAGIC too much (if you've been watching, you'll know what I mean).

Also, not sure how publicized it was but Samantha and Disney had a very rocky relationship of late that seemed headed for court, but I guess they kissed and made up.

Disney has a "scripted show" on travel channel to tell people that WDW is great and they should come visit? I never would have thought of that. I guess maybe they thought a show with people having fun and enjoying themselves would do better then a show where 74 tells us WDW is doomed and no one should go there. :brick:

sbkline

Every show on the Travel Channel is promoting something, not sure what you were expecting...

Nice show so far, thankfully the Samantha Brown parts were kept to a minimum.

I'm more thankful that the non-WDW segments were kept to a minimum. Just a very small amount on DisneyLand, and about 5 minutes wasted on Disney Cruise Line, but other than that, it was solid WDW all the way. I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised.

WDW1974

Disney has a "scripted show" on travel channel to tell people that WDW is great and they should come visit? I never would have thought of that. I guess maybe they thought a show with people having fun and enjoying themselves would do better then a show where 74 tells us WDW is doomed and no one should go there. :brick:

Of course they were having fun. They were being PAID to have fun and given FREE vacations. Very hard to not have fun that way.

The point I was making, the one you obviously missed was that this show was directly tied to Disney's new memories marketing campaign and blatantly hit on all the company's talking points in a very obvious manner.

Every thing Disney wanted to sell was front and center ... but of course you know that, right? Just looking to be combative because I don't happen to agree with the way Disney markets the magic?

WDW1974

I'm more thankful that the non-WDW segments were kept to a minimum. Just a very small amount on DisneyLand, and about 5 minutes wasted on Disney Cruise Line, but other than that, it was solid WDW all the way. I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised.

why would you feel DL or DCL segments were 'wastes'?

stitch2008

Of course they were having fun. They were being PAID to have fun and given FREE vacations. Very hard to not have fun that way.

The point I was making, the one you obviously missed was that this show was directly tied to Disney's new memories marketing campaign and blatantly hit on all the company's talking points in a very obvious manner.

Every thing Disney wanted to sell was front and center ... but of course you know that, right? Just looking to be combative because I don't happen to agree with the way Disney markets the magic?

It's never hard to have fun on a free vacation. I understand your point. I've come to realize anything on TV related to Disney(or anything on the travel channel for the matter) is promo material. If I'm going to watch some special, I know whats coming. And I also think most people also know whats coming. A scripted show from the marketing department. Not arguing that. Your post just seemed to suggest that this was some kind a big surprise. I knew it was going to be a special with massive overuse of the word "magic" and "memories". But they do this all the time. I personally thought it was an okay special. Only watched one segment before going back to ESPN. But if it gets the people down there, then I guess it was a good show then.

sbkline

why would you feel DL or DCL segments were 'wastes'?

Because I miss the days when there were specials about "Walt Disney World" and not just "Disney". I have several shows recorded on DVR which are about nothing but WDW, and I really don't care about DCL, DL, or ABD (Adventures by Disney). Because, for me, it's not so much a love for all things Disney that I have, but a love and nostalgia for my personal vacation memories, which have not taken place at DL, DCL or ABD. My parents took me to WDW when I was in Junior High. I visited the Magic Kingdom with some friends in 2000, honeymooned there with my wife in 2003, went back again every year since, except 2006 and 2009 (the years our kids were born) and took our son for his first trip in 2010. We're planning to go back in 7 weeks for his second trip. So that's where my memories are. I enjoy watching specials about WDW and reminiscing about past trips, seeing footage of familiar places, etc. I've never been to DL. Never been on a Disney Cruise. Never done an "adventure by Disney". So I don't give a rat's left testicle about any of these places. I'm sure a Disney Cruise would be great and I'm sure DisneyLand would be a blast. Maybe we'll do one or both of these activities someday. And if/when we do, I'll no doubt be interested in seeing specials about them on TV and reminiscing about the memories we made. But until then, I really don't care. And if I did, then there are specials exclusively about those destinations that I could watch. But since my memories and warm fuzzy feelings are about WDW, then I would like to see a special exclusively about that, since that's how they used to make them. Anything else that they throw in with it, I consider a waste of air time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom