New Rider Switch Policy is Terrible

Joebradley62

The window should be 4+ hours or even for the entire day. Kids are unpredictable, and don’t follow schedules.

The ideas to skip that ride or to leave the kids at home aren’t addressing the problem at hand, so I don’t understand these sentiments. You should be able to bring your kids and you should be able to ride that attraction. This fail falls on Disney. People abused it in the past, but that doesn’t mean those legit rule-following parents should suffer.

I suspect this plan isn’t well thought out bc it doesn’t directly put dollars in Disney’s pocket. An executive probably took 30 seconds to decide and said “we’ll just make it easy on ourselves, just go with an hour.”

I still don't understand the kids are unpredictable thing. Let's use an example, one parent and older child ride leaving the other parent and non riding child or children waiting. As soon as the riders leave the remaining kids start this meltdown. The riding parent aren gets back and can't handle this? It makes no sense. Unless It is a medical emergency it is what is. If it all of a sudden they near food and water that is just poor planning on the parents part. None of this is Disneys problem or fault. I will never understand the "Disney must accommodate me at all times" philosophy. They simply cant do everything for everyone. The best they can do is have a policy and enforce it as best they can to the to accommodate the most people possible.

Shouldigo12

Ugh. I hate this argument. I don’t care how many years someone had to save to be able to take a trip.. their situation has nothing to do with me on my trip. We’re both there on the same vacation, “once in a lifetime” or “saving for years” doesn’t entitle them to anything more than the people who don’t do the same.

The biggest problem with Disney is that those people do think they’re entitled to more.
Ok, I'm going to ignore the main argument going on here for a minute. It's true how much I paid for my trip doesn't affect you. But I worked for a year at a job I despised my senior year of high school to pay for this trip. I literally poured my blood, sweat, and tears into that job, dragging carts from the parking lot into the store under the hot sun in summer and freezing snow in winter. I dealt with some truly terrible human beings and was belittled frequently by customers, not to mention the amount of people who almost ran me over when I was working in the parking lot. I saved every penny from that job to go towards my trip. And I was lucky, because most people on here have bills to take care of; I'm blessed enough to have a mother who helped me with that senior year.

So you bet that if I got to Disney world and found out they had implemented some policy with little to no warning that sent all of my carefully crafted plans flying to Oblivion, I would not be happy. Would I expect compensation? No. Things change, I would understand everyone else is dealing with these changes too and I can't expect special treatment. But I would have a right to be upset about it. When you work that hard for something, it's hard not to be. And it drives me crazy when people say you can't bring cost in as a reason for being upset about something. Of course I can! Everyone is paying the same price, true, but that doesn't somehow make it less expensive.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Ok, I'm going to ignore the main argument going on here for a minute. It's true how much I paid for my trip doesn't affect you. But I worked for a year at a job I despised my senior year of high school to pay for this trip. I literally poured my blood, sweat, and tears into that job, dragging carts from the parking lot into the store under the hot sun in summer and freezing snow in winter. I dealt with some truly terrible human beings and was belittled frequently by customers, not to mention the amount of people who almost ran me over when I was working in the parking lot. I saved every penny from that job to go towards my trip. And I was lucky, because most people on here have bills to take care of; I'm blessed enough to have a mother who helped me with that senior year.

So you bet that if I got to Disney world and found out they had implemented some policy with little to no warning that sent all of my carefully crafted plans flying to Oblivion, I would not be happy. Would I expect compensation? No. Things change, I would understand everyone else is dealing with these changes too and I can't expect special treatment. But I would have a right to be upset about it. When you work that hard for something, it's hard not to be. And it drives me crazy when people say you can't bring cost in as a reason for being upset about something. Of course I can! Everyone is paying the same price, true, but that doesn't somehow make it less expensive.

But OP literally asked for and received special treatment, and still came to complain about it.

Everyone has a right to be upset when things don't go their way. The argument here isn't that they shouldn't be upset, it's that they should be more flexible when they have small/multiple children because children ruin everything and things rarely go your way.

21stamps

The window should be 4+ hours or even for the entire day. Kids are unpredictable, and don’t follow schedules.

The ideas to skip that ride or to leave the kids at home aren’t addressing the problem at hand, so I don’t understand these sentiments. You should be able to bring your kids and you should be able to ride that attraction. This fail falls on Disney. People abused it in the past, but that doesn’t mean those legit rule-following parents should suffer.

I suspect this plan isn’t well thought out bc it doesn’t directly put dollars in Disney’s pocket. An executive probably took 30 seconds to decide and said “we’ll just make it easy on ourselves, just go with an hour.”
I don’t understand this. Every other family can make a reservation or FP in the allotted time..or not, and then they lose out.
It’s genuinely funny how ppl are so quick to tell other ppl how their family should go about things, how their kids should behave, and what they should do with their kids in certain situations.

Everyone wants to give life advice as though it’s all just simple and easy breezy lol.

It’s not easy. Here’s my personal observation from my own experiences though-
I’m reading these comments thinking “Are you serious?”

I understand my situation isn’t the overwhelming norm, but I’ve been traveling with a child alone, since infancy. It’s not easy, sometimes we miss stuff, but I make it work to the best of my ability. Twice at Disney World I have had two different friends come and stay with us for a couple of days.. that was easier. Much easier. I can’t understand how 2 adults can’t make something work enough to the point where Disney would be at fault for their children’s behavior (not using behavior in a negative way at all here).. Sorry, but I just don’t see how “4 hours” or more is necessary at all.

Shouldigo12

But OP literally asked for and received special treatment, and still came to complain about it.

Everyone has a right to be upset when things don't go their way. The argument here isn't that they shouldn't be upset, it's that they should be more flexible when they have small/multiple children because children ruin everything and things rarely go your way.
Like I said, I was ignoring the main argument for that post. My issue was the other person saying they hate when people bring cost into their complaints; I'm done discussing the ride switch policy personally, but I wanted to address that specific comment.

Lets Respect

All Disney has done is make the pass a true swap. Now I don't know if an hour is the right length, maybe 90 minutes is more realistic. But when people want hours and hours, that tells me they don't want to use it as a true swap pass. And I can see why, but Disney is clearly trying to put a speedbump into this program's usage

Folks eligible for RS should be glad they are still letting people get around the tiers with it. The tiers are the worst part of FP+

Dave B

The ride swap, as I understand it, is basically a fastpass for the members of the party not getting on the ride the first time. Because the second group gets to skip the standby line this makes the standby line longer to wait in.
again, just asking a question, I understand the process

21stamps

I think you just agreed with me though. My comment was regarding special treatment, which you just said you wouldn’t expect or ask for.

Shouldigo12

again, just asking a question, I understand the process
Well then how I don't understand your question. You asked how it affected standby times. The second group gets into the fast pass line, which in turn makes the standby line longer to wait in. I'm not sure if you're trying to make a point or what but the other person and I have already explained this to you.

Shouldigo12

I think you just agreed with me though. My comment was regarding special treatment, which you just said you wouldn’t expect or ask for.
I might not have read your comment clearly enough then, in which case I apologize. I think this thread has my emotions running too high haha. Again, sorry.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Well then how I don't understand your question. You asked how it affected standby times. The second group gets into the fast pass line, which in turn makes the standby line longer to wait in. I'm not sure if you're trying to make a point or what but the other person and I have already explained this to you.

The question was: do you have kids?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom