New Rider Switch Policy is Terrible

Cado603

Yep that is what we did all in one stop. One rode , other rode and never waited hours to come back. 3 kids 1 and twins and worse the twins were entirely differnt sizes at one point one could ride and one not. The bigger child would often not go just wait with brother. To tell you the truth I never knew there was no time limit in the past. Just one rode, then the other rode. Why would you come back and start the process all over again later? unless dire circumstances and then I think I would have just moved on and forgot about it and found something all could ride on.

Delgado

I'm sorry but a 1 hour window is more than enough time for both parents to ride. Ride switch isn't meant to be a anytime fastpass.
It’s hard when you’re at Disney world telling your littles they have to sit for atleast 45 min while your husband and then you go. Could it be done with screaming kids. Absolutely. Mom guilt is a real thing. Parent guilt is a real thing. But again, none of us know the time of day this was, how many days they’d been in the parks, and how loudly the kids were screaming or in what octave. Cause if we’re being honest the majority of us have been there with our kids in many different t scenarios and maybe some of the people on here that think it’s ridiculous are the same that would be giving dirty looks and complaining in the parks over the child (and ADULT) meltdowns. Let’s just cut each other some slack.

Or maybe my kids are just terrible. But today I tried to do rider switch with my husband for Splash Mountain. I was told I only had one hour to redeem it. Long story short, I have twins toddlers who had a meltdown after Dad left and I couldn't get them to settle down within the hour window to use the pass.

I get that people are abusing it and they had to crack down but it seems to restrictive to me, especially with little ones who may not be so crazy about sitting out a whole hour plus so mom and dad can ride. Come on Disney at least give us the option of redeeming it later I the day!!!!
That really really sucks you didn’t get to ride! The rule isn’t the greatest but thanks for being one of the people that follow them. I hate that people have taken advantage of such a good thing for littles.

Delgado

Yep that is what we did all in one stop. One rode , other rode and never waited hours to come back. 3 kids 1 and twins and worse the twins were entirely differnt sizes at one point one could ride and one not. The bigger child would often not go just wait with brother. To tell you the truth I never knew there was no time limit in the past. Just one rode, then the other rode. Why would you come back and start the process all over again later? unless dire circumstances and then I think I would have just moved on and forgot about it and found something all could ride on.

Depending on the age of the child and the scenario around your vacation there’s a much less stressful way to do this. When the overstimulated, exhausted 3 year old goes to sleep. I’d go (by myself, not with an entourage) and ride. Or if my husband waited he’d go and ride. Yes we have multiple kids. That’s doesnt mean everyone got to ride again.

BoarderPhreak

Personally, I feel it's all getting too complicated. Get your FP 60 days out, but only tier this and tier that. After one ride you can FP another. Rider switch rules of who can do what and when and why not.

I want to go on vacation to relax - not worry about who can do what and how and when. Sure, the rules are there to solve problems, often after they arise. And I hate to break out this old chestnut, but limit the number of people in a park lower and you wouldn't need ANY of this nonsense. As for the people gaming the system or simply abusing it, shame on you for ruining it for everyone else.

NickMaio

Presumably the first parent is left alone with said child or children. Why is it so hard or wrong to expect the riding parent to return take over and let the other go? That is a 5 minute conversation at most. Empathy has nothing to do with it. It is a rule. Follow the rule. If you don't like the rule don't go. Wait until children are old enough, leave them with grandparents aunts or uncles.

I love it.... rules are rules, just follow them.
Sigh.......

2 Parents and 4 kids - - - - - 1 hour, if something comes up IS tough. Period.
Things come up...that's all I was saying. All sorts of things.

Last edited:

21stamps

As the oldest of 3 (and the youngest of us not even reaching the lowest percentile in height for her age) sometimes there were scenarios where I didn’t ride an attraction with both parents.

I guess this is unheard of now? I’m not saying that it’s ideal, I just don’t understand how it’s apparently completely unacceptable.
To be honest, sometimes it was fun just going off with my mom or my dad for an hour.. maybe my parents just didn’t each need to ride everything on our trips.

Last edited:

NickMaio

Personally, I feel it's all getting too complicated. Get your FP 60 days out, but only tier this and tier that. After one ride you can FP another. Rider switch rules of who can do what and when and why not.

I want to go on vacation to relax - not worry about who can do what and how and when. Sure, the rules are there to solve problems, often after they arise. And I hate to break out this old chestnut, but limit the number of people in a park lower and you wouldn't need ANY of this nonsense. As for the people gaming the system or simply abusing it, shame on you for ruining it for everyone else.
;) - - - Yuppers
Totally agree.

Dave B

I love how you know who has kids, just from their user name! Or some other kind of 6th sense maybe?

Seriously, how do you know? I can't tell, unless someone actually says "my kids" in their post.
You can tell by the remarks they make and if you look at their posts current and past, they never mention family or kids, yes its an assumption, but I would bet I am right

NickMaio

As the oldest of 3 (and the youngest of us not even reaching the lowest percentile in height for her age) sometimes there were scenarios where I didn’t ride an attraction with both parents.

I guess this is unheard of now? I’m not saying that it’s ideal, I just don’t understand how it’s apparently completely unacceptable.
To be honest, sometimes it was fun just going off with my mom or my dad for an hour.. maybe my parents just didn’t each need to ride everything on our trips.

Disney used to give people all day to use the switch pass.
Perhaps my unacceptable comment was a little too hyperbole.:)

KrzyKtty

Honest question here, people keep mentioning Fastpass. Do you even use ride swap with Fastpass? I would think it wouldn't be necessary. You would just have your Fastpass reservations for everyone in the party who could ride. You just take turns if necessary if there is someone in your party who can't ride.

21stamps

Disney used to give people all day to use the switch pass.
Perhaps my unacceptable comment was a little too hyperbole.:)

When I was little Disney didn’t have the passes at all. This isn’t a “I walked a mile..” post, just saying that I think some of this shows how much humans have changed. If you’re a parent of multiples, sometimes you may split up for an attraction.. unless the adult is the one who ‘just can’t miss riding’. That’s fine, but an hour is plenty of time to do that.
Again, if something prevents you from riding, because of your other kids, then just move on and know that someday your kids won’t be such a nuisance. ;)

21stamps

Honest question here, people keep mentioning Fastpass. Do you even use ride swap with Fastpass? I would think it wouldn't be necessary. You would just have your Fastpass reservations for everyone in the party who could ride. You just take turns if necessary if there is someone in your party who can't ride.

The ride switch allows the second rider to enter into the fastpass lane, without them needing a FP. That leaves the other parent free to book another FP for a different attraction and do the same. Which in turn basically doubles their FPs. That’s what I’ve been told anyway.

KrzyKtty

The ride switch allows the second rider to enter into the fastpass lane, without them needing a FP. That leaves the other parent free to book another FP for a different attraction and do the same. Which in turn basically doubles their FPs. That’s what I’ve been told anyway.
That is quite the little system there. I'm kind of surprised Disney allows it.

jaklgreen

It’s hard when you’re at Disney world telling your littles they have to sit for atleast 45 min while your husband and then you go. Could it be done with screaming kids. Absolutely. Mom guilt is a real thing. Parent guilt is a real thing. But again, none of us know the time of day this was, how many days they’d been in the parks, and how loudly the kids were screaming or in what octave. Cause if we’re being honest the majority of us have been there with our kids in many different t scenarios and maybe some of the people on here that think it’s ridiculous are the same that would be giving dirty looks and complaining in the parks over the child (and ADULT) meltdowns. Let’s just cut each other some slack.

None of this would be an issue if they all went through the line and then switched immediately after the first adult got off. I think that system works the best. I think Disney was doing people a favor by letting the child/children and the other adult go and wait outside of the line so they can be more comfortable and maybe use the restroom or entertain themselves in another way. That is what they get for being nice. Yes parent guilt is a real thing. But it started recently when people stopped disciplining their children and allowed them to be an annoyance to others. People used to teach their kids how to behave in society. I have kids, and both of them had their meltdown each at Walmart when they were toddlers. But only the ONE time each. I picked them up screaming and took them home, disciplined them, put them in their rooms and when Daddy got home he gave them the business. They never did it again, ever. We were also very aware of them, especially at places like WDW. We payed attention to their needs, made sure they were fed and hydrated and rested. It is hard work being a parent and you can not take your focus off of them. That is why, especially when they were little, we did stuff that was for them, so we did not drink or worry about going on the big rides. There is plenty of time for that when they grow up. Our main focus was our kids. But at the same time they know that the world does not revolve around them. We taught them to be mindful of others. We did not allow them to be loud in the hotel rooms or to just wander without being aware of other people. We are not the type of people to just stop in the walkway. Kids will be kids and I don't judge the ones that are having a meltdown, it is how the parent handles it that is the main thing. If they just ignore it or give in to them, that is what perpetuates the problems.

KrzyKtty

It’s hard when you’re at Disney world telling your littles they have to sit for atleast 45 min while your husband and then you go.

I will say this, we had to use rider swap frequently last year so my son could ride some rides for the first time that my daughter was not tall enough for yet. I never made her sit still while we waited on her father or brother. When we were waiting for 45 minutes for them to finish FOP we used that time to explore all around Avatar Land and play with some of their interactive exhibits. With many other rides I would take her on a smaller ride nearby that she would love but nobody else would care for. We always had something to do without waiting.

Delgado

None of this would be an issue if they all went through the line and then switched immediately after the first adult got off. I think that system works the best. I think Disney was doing people a favor by letting the child/children and the other adult go and wait outside of the line so they can be more comfortable and maybe use the restroom or entertain themselves in another way. That is what they get for being nice. Yes parent guilt is a real thing. But it started recently when people stopped disciplining their children and allowed them to be an annoyance to others. People used to teach their kids how to behave in society. I have kids, and both of them had their meltdown each at Walmart when they were toddlers. But only the ONE time each. I picked them up screaming and took them home, disciplined them, put them in their rooms and when Daddy got home he gave them the business. They never did it again, ever. We were also very aware of them, especially at places like WDW. We payed attention to their needs, made sure they were fed and hydrated and rested. It is hard work being a parent and you can not take your focus off of them. That is why, especially when they were little, we did stuff that was for them, so we did not drink or worry about going on the big rides. There is plenty of time for that when they grow up. Our main focus was our kids. But at the same time they know that the world does not revolve around them. We taught them to be mindful of others. We did not allow them to be loud in the hotel rooms or to just wander without being aware of other people. We are not the type of people to just stop in the walkway. Kids will be kids and I don't judge the ones that are having a meltdown, it is how the parent handles it that is the main thing. If they just ignore it or give in to them, that is what perpetuates the problems.
I don’t think implying people aren’t parenting is a valid argument. This is a different world we live in. For the people who spend their years of savings on a trip I could totally understand wanting to ride big rides. I’m not saying you’re wrong. I don’t think the original poster is wrong. We are all different and don’t do things the same way. In the grand scheme of vacation it really isn’t a big deal letting families come back later IF the jerks misusing the system would stop.

Delgado

I will say this, we had to use right swap frequently last year so my son could ride some rides for the first time that my daughter was not tall enough for yet. I never made her sit still while we waited on her father or brother. When we were waiting for 45 minutes for them to finish FOP we used that time to explore all around Avatar Land and play with some of their interactive exhibits. With many other rides I would take her on a smaller ride nearby that she would love but nobody else would care for. We always had something to do without waiting.
I agree and this is what we did but we didn’t have to find each other and be back at the ride within the hour. I feel like it just adds another sense of stress to vacation. I love that you did this. I was disappointed when our youngest could ride lol I lost my exploration buddy!

21stamps

. For the people who spend their years of savings on a trip I could totally understand wanting to ride by rides.

Ugh. I hate this argument. I don’t care how many years someone had to save to be able to take a trip.. their situation has nothing to do with me on my trip. We’re both there on the same vacation, “once in a lifetime” or “saving for years” doesn’t entitle them to anything more than the people who don’t do the same.

The biggest problem with Disney is that those people do think they’re entitled to more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom