New Rider Switch Policy is Terrible

2thDr

I still don't understand the kids are unpredictable thing. Let's use an example, one parent and older child ride leaving the other parent and non riding child or children waiting. As soon as the riders leave the remaining kids start this meltdown. The riding parent aren gets back and can't handle this? It makes no sense. Unless It is a medical emergency it is what is. If it all of a sudden they near food and water that is just poor planning on the parents part. None of this is Disneys problem or fault. I will never understand the "Disney must accommodate me at all times" philosophy. They simply cant do everything for everyone. The best they can do is have a policy and enforce it as best they can to the to accommodate the most people possible.
You might be justified in accusing a parent of poor planning, but you don't always get to choose the time that works best for you with regard to food, water, potty breaks/diaper changes, etc. If you have more than 2 kids, reality strikes. a 2-hour window would not be unreasonable.

EngineerMom

Everyone has their own way of doing things in terms of their kids and their vacations.
My husband and I traveled lots before the kids. When they came our travel style had to change and continued to change as they did.

Our early trips with the kids it was about meeting characters and watching them as they were thrilled watching a show or talking to crush. We enjoyed the joy they had in things. They were thrilled with he hotel, pool and watching the outdoor movie. I believe child swap existed our first trip but we didn’t even think about it. That stage is SOOO fleeting! Trips gradually became more about the rides and for our family food. Now as teens they want to stay at the park late and get on the coasters. Sometimes we the parents want a break!

I guess I think 1 hour window just like a fastpass is fine. We have certainly had times where we had a fastpass then for some reason couldn’t use it and couldn’t switch it, etc. it happens. If we can’t use the fastpass for some reason that’s just the way it goes.

We actually said the thing we miss the MOST about there paper fastpasses was when we couldn’t use it and gave them to someone else and they were so happy.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
You might be justified in accusing a parent of poor planning, but you don't always get to choose the time that works best for you with regard to food, water, potty breaks/diaper changes, etc. If you have more than 2 kids, reality strikes. a 2-hour window would not be unreasonable.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but say one parent takes the kids to the mall and, as you say, reality strikes. Are they going to call the other parent out to handle it? Is it because he's a dad that we're assuming he cannot also handle the kids?

One parent rides the ride while the other parent handles the kids. Then they swap. Both parents get to ride. Both parents handle the kids.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Everyone has their own way of doing things in terms of their kids and their vacations.
My husband and I traveled lots before the kids. When they came our travel style had to change and continued to change as they did.

Our early trips with the kids it was about meeting characters and watching them as they were thrilled watching a show or talking to crush. We enjoyed the joy they had in things. They were thrilled with he hotel, pool and watching the outdoor movie. I believe child swap existed our first trip but we didn’t even think about it. That stage is SOOO fleeting! Trips gradually became more about the rides and for our family food. Now as teens they want to stay at the park late and get on the coasters. Sometimes we the parents want a break!

I guess I think 1 hour window just like a fastpass is fine. We have certainly had times where we had a fastpass then for some reason couldn’t use it and couldn’t switch it, etc. it happens. If we can’t use the fastpass for some reason that’s just the way it goes.

We actually said the thing we miss the MOST about there paper fastpasses was when we couldn’t use it and gave them to someone else and they were so happy.

We were given a paper fastpass for Frozen when my daughter freaked the ever lovin heck out on the boat and refused to ride it (we didn't ask for it, it was just pixie dust). We gave those to a mother in line with her two daughters, and seeing her face was *almost* as magical as seeing my daughter's face when she first met Rapunzel.

KrzyKtty

Our trips are normally about our kids enjoyment at Disney World. Swaps are kind of a necessity for us though because my kids are about 5 years apart. So in order to let my older child have fun we had to swap with the younger one. I'm not sure in all families, but at least in our case it would be hard to tell our 8 year old at the time he cannot go on FOP, Space Mountain, Rockin Rollercoaster, or Mount Everest because of his little sister. After 10 days I can only imagine the resentment. Those sometimes writer swaps are a necissity, even with kids. It is not necessary that Disney helps with this, but it is nice that they do.

2thDr

Just playing devil's advocate here, but say one parent takes the kids to the mall and, as you say, reality strikes. Are they going to call the other parent out to handle it? Is it because he's a dad that we're assuming he cannot also handle the kids?

One parent rides the ride while the other parent handles the kids. Then they swap. Both parents get to ride. Both parents handle the kids.
Completely reasonable. Just needs to be a little longer than one hour.

Dave B

38, 35, and 30 :)
Grandkids are 10, 7, 4, 2, 2, and T minus 4 months.
Plenty of kid experience, and dozens of trips to Disney World.
Thank you , you are the first to answer and acknowledge you have kids, congrats on such a large family, have you taken the grand kids to the parks yet?

2thDr

Thank you , you are the first to answer and acknowledge you have kids, congrats on such a large family, have you taken the grand kids to the parks yet?
Yes, many times, and I've witnessed the kinds of events where one hour to get somewhere, with all of the things that can confound one's best planning, occur at just the wrong moment. A little extra time wouldn't have a major effect on the integrity of rider swap. If Disney's goal is to make the experience wonderful, they should set their policies accordingly. I'm sure they won't want people going home and telling their friends that they weren't able to ride this, that, or the other because they ran out of rider swap time. That only makes rider swap look ineffective.

KrzyKtty

So many people here are making assumptions about family structure. There's more in the world than mom, dad, and two kids spaced 3-4 years apart.
I'm not sure how many people are making out right assumptions on another posters family structure, or talking more from experience of there structure and personal family. I could be reading your comment wrong though. :)

KrzyKtty

Yes, many times, and I've witnessed the kinds of events where one hour to get somewhere, with all of the things that can confound one's best planning, occur at just the wrong moment. A little extra time wouldn't have a major effect on the integrity of rider swap.
And for what it's worth I really don't think a little bit extra time is a bad idea. I never needed it personally, but I don't really care if other people need it for their families. I can understand the original posters complaint, and her thoughts behind be more lenient structure. I also understand some of the concerns other people are posting against that leniency. Ultimately what Disney decides to do to keep its guests happy is up to Disney and the guests. I just wish I could go back sooner🤣

EngineerMom

Ok, I'm going to ignore the main argument going on here for a minute. It's true how much I paid for my trip doesn't affect you. But I worked for a year at a job I despised my senior year of high school to pay for this trip. I literally poured my blood, sweat, and tears into that job, dragging carts from the parking lot into the store under the hot sun in summer and freezing snow in winter. I dealt with some truly terrible human beings and was belittled frequently by customers, not to mention the amount of people who almost ran me over when I was working in the parking lot. I saved every penny from that job to go towards my trip. And I was lucky, because most people on here have bills to take care of; I'm blessed enough to have a mother who helped me with that senior year.

So you bet that if I got to Disney world and found out they had implemented some policy with little to no warning that sent all of my carefully crafted plans flying to Oblivion, I would not be happy. Would I expect compensation? No. Things change, I would understand everyone else is dealing with these changes too and I can't expect special treatment. But I would have a right to be upset about it. When you work that hard for something, it's hard not to be. And it drives me crazy when people say you can't bring cost in as a reason for being upset about something. Of course I can! Everyone is paying the same price, true, but that doesn't somehow make it less expensive.

I’ll give an example that was like this
When be our guest first opened it was not a reservation for lunch just get in line. We went and loved it. Before our next trip they changed it and we didn’t know in time and could not get a reservation. We tried a couple of times to walk up and ask but were turned away. We didn’t complain or tell them listen you changed the policy just before we came and we did it know and we want to eat here!!! We just accepted that was what it was and enjoyed other part of the park.

2thDr

I'm not sure how many people are making out right assumptions on another posters family structure, or talking more from experience of there structure and personal family. I could be reading your comment wrong though. :)
Exactly my point: "It works well for me, so it should work for you, otherwise you're a bad parent."

2thDr

I’ll give an example that was like this
When be our guest first opened it was not a reservation for lunch just get in line. We went and loved it. Before our next trip they changed it and we didn’t know in time and could not get a reservation. We tried a couple of times to walk up and ask but were turned away. We didn’t complain or tell them listen you changed the policy just before we came and we did it know and we want to eat here!!! We just accepted that was what it was and enjoyed other part of the park.
This is not at all the same kind of issue that the original poster posted about.

Delgado

I totally understand if they do not visit often or have never been. It is hot and it is busy and the parents stress so the kids feel the stress. I get that. But I think the system is fair especially with the fact that they basically can double the fastpass. What I do not think is fair is complaining about how horrible the situation is and slamming Disney when they are trying to make things easier for those with small kids at the same time be fair to others. We all need to be responsible for our own lives and if things are not perfect, then oh well that is life.
I don’t disagree with you things aren’t always perfect. I guess I just don’t see what the big deal is with the child swap. I go to Disney expecting to wait for rides or whatever. Idk I guess I just don’t waste my energy being angry about people abusing the system cause that’d make me hate life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom