New Rider Switch Policy is Terrible

jaklgreen

I don’t think implying people aren’t parenting is a valid argument. This is a different world we live in. For the people who spend their years of savings on a trip I could totally understand wanting to ride big rides. I’m not saying you’re wrong. I don’t think the original poster is wrong. We are all different and don’t do things the same way. In the grand scheme of vacation it really isn’t a big deal letting families come back later IF the jerks misusing the system would stop.

I totally understand if they do not visit often or have never been. It is hot and it is busy and the parents stress so the kids feel the stress. I get that. But I think the system is fair especially with the fact that they basically can double the fastpass. What I do not think is fair is complaining about how horrible the situation is and slamming Disney when they are trying to make things easier for those with small kids at the same time be fair to others. We all need to be responsible for our own lives and if things are not perfect, then oh well that is life.

KrzyKtty

I agree and this is what we did but we didn’t have to find each other and be back at the ride within the hour. I feel like it just adds another sense of stress to vacation. I love that you did this. I was disappointed when our youngest could ride lol I lost my exploration buddy!
There was one genuine time I wasn't able to go exploring with her and it's because she really really really wanted to go on the Rockin Rollercoaster. She was completely heartbroken that she was too small, so I just sat there with her for a little bit while she cried. Daddy switched with me and got her calm down by the time I got off. My little Daredevil is scared of loud toilets and trucks, but show her a roller coaster and she wants to be there. Afterwards we bribed her with that Butterfinger cupcake LOL.:hilarious:

Joebradley62

I am not heartless and I feel for those parents with misbehaving children. If someone is saving for years for this trip once in a lifetime of not, why not do it when the kids are ready. Too many times I see parents with 2 in strollers. The only people enjoying that or trying to, are the parents. Those kids won't even remember the trip.

bsiev1977

I think the rider swap policy is more than accommodating. Quite frankly, the old system where one adult stayed near the exit with the kids and then swapped immediately was fine also. No system is going to work out to everyone’s circumstances.

Joebradley62

I love it.... rules are rules, just follow them.
Sigh.......

2 Parents and 4 kids - - - - - 1 hour, if something comes up IS tough. Period.
Things come up...that's all I was saying. All sorts of things.

Well that is sort of the point. Life does throw curve balls. You just have to move on. Disney could just say tough luck you got kids that cant ride I guess you will just have to wait like everyone else. 1 hour is a pretty long time. If something has happened that takes over an hour to resolve it was probably pretty bad and you just have to accept the fact that you are going to miss that ride.

Joebradley62

I would find it to be impossible to enjoy riding a ride while I knew my kids were melting down. My kids are nearly grown, but I have a young niece and nephew who I travel with to WDW frequently, and I know I would have a difficult time having fun on a ride if I knew one of them, or both of them, was hysterical. Not a good way to have fun, IMHO. I personally think one hour is ridiculous. Would require even more planning having the kids sit there while one parent rides, then figure out what to do with them while the other one is riding, after the switch. Are the kids just supposed to sit there waiting for an hour or more for parents to ride a ride? Sounds miserable to me.
Yes they should sit there and like it. Some children never get to even go to WDW. Mostly kidding of course but it would be a great lesson in patience and gratitude.

Joebradley62

I have not been with small children in a few years now but when we did someone just volunteered to not ride and watch the littles. It was not the end of the world and everyone had fun.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I am not heartless and I feel for those parents with misbehaving children. If someone is saving for years for this trip once in a lifetime of not, why not do it when the kids are ready. Too many times I see parents with 2 in strollers. The only people enjoying that or trying to, are the parents. Those kids won't even remember the trip.

Will your kid remember it in 20 years? No. But my 3 year old daughter has talked about her trip to Disney in detail almost every day since we got back in December. "those kids won't even remember the trip" is false. They remember it, just not when they're adults.

Dave B

None of this would be an issue if they all went through the line and then switched immediately after the first adult got off. I think that system works the best. I think Disney was doing people a favor by letting the child/children and the other adult go and wait outside of the line so they can be more comfortable and maybe use the restroom or entertain themselves in another way. That is what they get for being nice. Yes parent guilt is a real thing. But it started recently when people stopped disciplining their children and allowed them to be an annoyance to others. People used to teach their kids how to behave in society. I have kids, and both of them had their meltdown each at Walmart when they were toddlers. But only the ONE time each. I picked them up screaming and took them home, disciplined them, put them in their rooms and when Daddy got home he gave them the business. They never did it again, ever. We were also very aware of them, especially at places like WDW. We payed attention to their needs, made sure they were fed and hydrated and rested. It is hard work being a parent and you can not take your focus off of them. That is why, especially when they were little, we did stuff that was for them, so we did not drink or worry about going on the big rides. There is plenty of time for that when they grow up. Our main focus was our kids. But at the same time they know that the world does not revolve around them. We taught them to be mindful of others. We did not allow them to be loud in the hotel rooms or to just wander without being aware of other people. We are not the type of people to just stop in the walkway. Kids will be kids and I don't judge the ones that are having a meltdown, it is how the parent handles it that is the main thing. If they just ignore it or give in to them, that is what perpetuates the problems.
Ugh, really

Joebradley62

I'm sure most small children would be super grateful to their parents for making them sit in the hot sun watching everyone else have fun while they wait for mom and dad :hilarious::hilarious:

Well the gratitude part is actually getting to go to the park to begin with. The patience comes with the sitting in the oven. The best parents put their children first and only ride the stuff they all can ride together and enjoy being together and having fun. That's not me of course. But it was my parents. Of course I didn't get to go to WDW until I was in high school for grad night as a senior. Got to see Kool and the gang! Ha.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Well the gratitude part is actually getting to go to the park to begin with. The patience comes with the sitting in the oven. The best parents put their children first and only ride the stuff they all can ride together and enjoy being together and having fun. That's not me of course. But it was my parents. Of course I didn't get to go to WDW until I was in high school for grad night as a senior. Got to see Kool and the gang! Ha.

I think it's important to teach children that their particular needs do not always come first. That we listen to what mom wants to listen to in the car, or eat where brother wants to eat for dinner, or play with the dolls the way their friend wants to play with the dolls. In this manner, a child IS learning a valuable lesson waiting for their parents to ride something that is fun for their parents, especially when the parents spent all day in boring lines so the kid could meet princesses.

None of this, however, would teach a child to be grateful because they're at the park and other kids aren't as fortunate. That's like forcing them to eat food they don't like and saying kids in some other part of the world are starving.

World_Showcase_Lover007

The window should be 4+ hours or even for the entire day. Kids are unpredictable, and don’t follow schedules.

The ideas to skip that ride or to leave the kids at home aren’t addressing the problem at hand, so I don’t understand these sentiments. You should be able to bring your kids and you should be able to ride that attraction. This fail falls on Disney. People abused it in the past, but that doesn’t mean those legit rule-following parents should suffer.

I suspect this plan isn’t well thought out bc it doesn’t directly put dollars in Disney’s pocket. An executive probably took 30 seconds to decide and said “we’ll just make it easy on ourselves, just go with an hour.”

Joebradley62

Will your kid remember it in 20 years? No. But my 3 year old daughter has talked about her trip to Disney in detail almost every day since we got back in December. "those kids won't even remember the trip" is false. They remember it, just not when they're adults.
I, not so obviously, did not mean they wouldn't remember it in 6 months. But as a lasting lifelong memory especially if this is a family that has saved for a trip that might be once in a lifetime type thing, wait until they can all enjoy it AND remember it. That's all.

World_Showcase_Lover007

It’s genuinely funny how ppl are so quick to tell other ppl how their family should go about things, how their kids should behave, and what they should do with their kids in certain situations.

Everyone wants to give life advice as though it’s all just simple and easy breezy lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom