New Rider Switch Policy is Terrible

Delgado

Ugh. I hate this argument. I don’t care how many years someone had to save to be able to take a trip.. their situation has nothing to do with me on my trip. We’re both there on the same vacation, “once in a lifetime” or “saving for years” doesn’t entitle them to anything more than the people who don’t do the same.

The biggest problem with Disney is that those people do think they’re entitled to more.
Where is the entitlement? How does it make your vacation worse if people get to use their child swap later in the day? I’m not saying let the entire family ride again or sell the pass. Using the system as it was meant to be used, there no harm to you or anyone else’s vacation to let someone ride later when used properly. I guess I just don’t get what the big deal is.

Delgado

Aw
There was one genuine time I wasn't able to go exploring with her and it's because she really really really wanted to go on the Rockin Rollercoaster. She was completely heartbroken that she was too small, so I just sat there with her for a little bit while she cried. Daddy switched with me and got her calm down by the time I got off. My little Daredevil is scared of loud toilets and trucks, but show her a roller coaster and she wants to be there. Afterwards we bribed her with that Butterfinger cupcake LOL.:hilarious:
aww poor kid! That’s the worst! That is great you were able to ride and she was the real winner with the butterfinger cupcake!!! Yumm

Delgado

I am not heartless and I feel for those parents with misbehaving children. If someone is saving for years for this trip once in a lifetime of not, why not do it when the kids are ready. Too many times I see parents with 2 in strollers. The only people enjoying that or trying to, are the parents. Those kids won't even remember the trip.
I feel like you could have the best well behaved children or adults...and eventually a sleepless night and hot day at crowded parks can crack a person :joyfull:
I really do love Disney world though lol so much.

jaklgreen

Our trips are normally about our kids enjoyment at Disney World. Swaps are kind of a necessity for us though because my kids are about 5 years apart. So in order to let my older child have fun we had to swap with the younger one. I'm not sure in all families, but at least in our case it would be hard to tell our 8 year old at the time he cannot go on FOP, Space Mountain, Rockin Rollercoaster, or Mount Everest because of his little sister. After 10 days I can only imagine the resentment. Those sometimes writer swaps are a necissity, even with kids. It is not necessary that Disney helps with this, but it is nice that they do.

True, or parents can switch off which one rides with the older and which stays with the younger.

drizgirl

I don’t disagree with you things aren’t always perfect. I guess I just don’t see what the big deal is with the child swap. I go to Disney expecting to wait for rides or whatever. Idk I guess I just don’t waste my energy being angry about people abusing the system cause that’d make me hate life.
The big deal is that there is very little left in WDW that allows for spontaneity. Paper RS passes allowed for a bit of spontaneity. You could come back later that night to use them, or even see how many you could collect to use on a special "do it all" sort of a day with the older kids later in the week. People without RS gave up any sort of spontaneity long ago. Now that RS people are giving it up too, they don't like it. None of this would matter if headliner attraction fastpasses were still readily available same day and everyone could just get their own FPs to all the tier 1 attractions. Nobody likes giving that up. But it is what it is.

jaklgreen

Completely reasonable. Just needs to be a little longer than one hour.

How long then? Who are we to decide? Maybe Disney did an extensive study and found that 99% of the people got through in under an hour and thought it was reasonable. Except for the OP, we have not heard of this being an issue with any other family. And the issue was she just felt bad leaving the kids with the dad. So is it really the hour time frame, or is it the way the parents handle things?

Delgado

How long then? Who are we to decide? Maybe Disney did an extensive study and found that 99% of the people got through in under an hour and thought it was reasonable. Except for the OP, we have not heard of this being an issue with any other family. And the issue was she just felt bad leaving the kids with the dad. So is it really the hour time frame, or is it the way the parents handle things?
I feel bad for whoever the dad is in this situation cause there are some big assumptions being thrown around that he can’t handle the kid. I mean men and women can and cannot handle kids.

KrzyKtty

The OP did say that it was not about the dad at all, she just did not feel right leaving her two crying kids behind. As a mother I can understand that feeling, I'm just not always as nice as she must be:happy:. There was one time though that we threw it away. I didn't know that they could be used whenever. It was really late at night when my husband and son did ride swap on Space Mountain. My daughter was exhausted so I decided to forgo it and just get us all home.

jaklgreen

I don’t disagree with you things aren’t always perfect. I guess I just don’t see what the big deal is with the child swap. I go to Disney expecting to wait for rides or whatever. Idk I guess I just don’t waste my energy being angry about people abusing the system cause that’d make me hate life.

I have no issue with the child swap or even that it is an hour. I would not care if it was 2 hours or all day. My issue is that these are the rules that Disney has set up and it looks like that the majority of people are able to work within this time frame. The OP decided to let that time frame expire of her own free will and then complained to Disney, got extra fastpasses(which is good on her) and then came here and complain how horrible Disney's system is. My other issue is that so many people seem to think that a kid having "meltdown" is sufficient reason for Disney to give you special treatment. Most of us have kids, should we all get special treatment? Should we all have the rules bent for us just because we have kids? That is crazy. Sometimes things in life do not work out.

maria_wdw2012

Original Poster
To clarify, yes my husband and I sometimes do have trouble handling our kids, especially when we’re on our own with them. We have twin toddlers, 2.5 years old, both about 30 pounds. When they start throwing a temper tantrum and won’t get up off the floor, it’s difficult to lift them both up or lift one then the other. They often run in different directions, can’t yet fully communicate their needs, aren’t reliably potty trained yet, etc.

In this case, we had the stroller parked by Jungle Cruise and trekked over to Adventureland and made our way to Splash. It was high noon, 90+ degrees out with a real feel of 100. They and I reached our limit as to what we can handle at noon on a hot June day. Hindsight is 20/20. I should have left them in the stroller. I should have gone to Pecos Bill for A/C. I should have gone to Country Bears to cool off. I could have handled it in so many better ways to prevent the meltdown, but at the time I did what I thought was best and we left.

So yes, twin toddlers are handfuls and not easy to handle. That being said, we also have a 9 year old who we’d been bringing on trips before the twins came along. So we juggle his wants/needs with our toddlers’ and we take our Disney trips and try to make the best of it. The old rider switch window just made it a little easier for us.

KrzyKtty

To clarify, yes my husband and I sometimes do have trouble handling our kids, especially when we’re on our own with them. We have twin toddlers, 2.5 years old, both about 30 pounds. When they start throwing a temper tantrum and won’t get up off the floor, it’s difficult to lift them both up or lift one then the other. They often run in different directions, can’t yet fully communicate their needs, aren’t reliably potty trained yet, etc.

In this case, we had the stroller parked by Jungle Cruise and trekked over to Adventureland and made our way to Splash. It was high noon, 90+ degrees out with a real feel of 100. They and I reached our limit as to what we can handle at noon on a hot June day. Hindsight is 20/20. I should have left them in the stroller. I should have gone to Pecos Bill for A/C. I should have gone to Country Bears to cool off. I could have handled it in so many better ways to prevent the meltdown, but at the time I did what I thought was best and we left.

So yes, twin toddlers are handfuls and not easy to handle. That being said, we also have a 9 year old who we’d been bringing on trips before the twins came along. So we juggle his wants/needs with our toddlers’ and we take our Disney trips and try to make the best of it. The old rider switch window just made it a little easier for us.
Nope, you're not allowed to go to any of the Quick Service locations to cool down. If you do the other thread will flay you for taking a table without food LOL.:banghead:

Delgado

Speak it sister! I laughed reading this cause I can remember scenarios similar to this and as bad as they were the memories make me giggle. A bad day at Disney never seems like a bad day after the fact 😁 I hope you had a wonderful vacation! And thanks for sharing your thoughts on the new system, it lets the rest of us know they changed the system before we’re there!

2thDr

Maybe they did a study, and maybe they didn't. Maybe we haven't heard from very many others who had an issue with one hour because it's so new. But I know what can and can't easily be accomplished in an hour with kids in tow, compared to two hours (especially if the wait time + ride time + exit time is long). In my opinion, it's about both things: the mom feeling bad and the dad being inept (maybe that's too harsh) AND the return time being too short. Disney can only change one of them.

2thDr

True, or parents can switch off which one rides with the older and which stays with the younger.
What if mom and two kids go with mom's sister? Should mom forgo riding so auntie can ride everything? What if mom and older teenager go with a younger child who's afraid to ride? What if too-little-to-ride has a meltdown when it's time for mom to ride with big-enough-to ride? There are many configurations where dividing the duties between the adults makes for a less-than-magical experience. All these troubles can be eased with just a little longer return time, is all I'm saying. None of the things that are a problem for one hour are likely to extend to two hours.

ColinP29

Ok, I'm going to ignore the main argument going on here for a minute. It's true how much I paid for my trip doesn't affect you. But I worked for a year at a job I despised my senior year of high school to pay for this trip. I literally poured my blood, sweat, and tears into that job, dragging carts from the parking lot into the store under the hot sun in summer and freezing snow in winter. I dealt with some truly terrible human beings and was belittled frequently by customers, not to mention the amount of people who almost ran me over when I was working in the parking lot. I saved every penny from that job to go towards my trip. And I was lucky, because most people on here have bills to take care of; I'm blessed enough to have a mother who helped me with that senior year.

So you bet that if I got to Disney world and found out they had implemented some policy with little to no warning that sent all of my carefully crafted plans flying to Oblivion, I would not be happy. Would I expect compensation? No. Things change, I would understand everyone else is dealing with these changes too and I can't expect special treatment. But I would have a right to be upset about it. When you work that hard for something, it's hard not to be. And it drives me crazy when people say you can't bring cost in as a reason for being upset about something. Of course I can! Everyone is paying the same price, true, but that doesn't somehow make it less expensive.

'Literally poured blood, sweat and tears' - This is why I can't take anything you have just said seriously

correcaminos

I am not heartless and I feel for those parents with misbehaving children. If someone is saving for years for this trip once in a lifetime of not, why not do it when the kids are ready. Too many times I see parents with 2 in strollers. The only people enjoying that or trying to, are the parents. Those kids won't even remember the trip.

I'm a parent who took my child in a stroller before they could remember. Why? Because we go very often and I don't sit at home until they remember things. I find that argument that the kids don't remember kind of silly because no one should ever just sit at home from things because kids don't remember - because the parents sure do.

I do sometimes think that parents push too hard to have perfection or go non-stop so the kids are miserable, but every family is different and if they have fun, I don't care. That's why I find the whining over an hour also a bit silly. If you cannot, as an adult, make it back in an hour, it's not the end of the world. No ride is that important. That said an unruly child or two shouldn't prevent a swap. Parents also should be able to just swap immediately after in almost all cases. Maybe a tiny percentage will really have something major happen (child severely hurt or the like) but meltdowns don't count in this case to me. That's on the parents for not dealing and swapping. Obviously I'm a parent and I am in the middle of taking school aged offspring. So I'm not that out of touch with reality. I'm not going to judge parents whose kids melt down or anything, I just don't see things on that level as a valid excuse.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
'Literally poured blood, sweat and tears' - This is why I can't take anything you have just said seriously
Mashed fingers will invoke blood and tears, and pushing those carts will raise quite a sweat, so I can certainly believe it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom