• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Rumor New ride coming to Animal Kingdom. D23 announcement expected.

RSoxNo1

Advertisement
I don’t think it’s one of the worst. Rapids rides are generally weak. Disney’s are better than most. Kali is merely Disney’s worst. Tiger Rapids Run would have been quite nice. And since the ride was built to be Asia’s E-ticket and the first “expansion” of the park (not exactly since it was already under construction when the park opened, but it opened just before the park’s first birthday) it shouldn’t have been value engineered.
Rapid rides have their place, the problem is this thing is so deep into the park that even on the hottest days, not many people want to walk a mile in soaking wet clothes.

Even Popeye and Bluto's which is an awesome ride, is one that I plan around my departure.

As for "fixing this ride", I'd love to see some of that queue theming extended into an indoor portion of the attraction.

RSoxNo1

Look at my post carefully.

The Tiger River Run doesn't excuse Kali. Kali is bad because it's too tame and/OR because it lacks storytelling.

Really? Concept art I've seen portray it with the same ride vehicle as Kali, and from my understanding they did cancel it due to zoological reasons - that is the stress it puts upon animals.

A Jurassic Park ride system would be better (though still not a good idea).

bubbles1812

good heavens, never wetter
You can get pretty wet on Dudley Doo Right as well but Popeye’s definitely takes the cake. The best day my family ever had at Universal was when it poured rain one afternoon. We went on both must have been 5-6x each. We were already soaked by the rain so what did it matter? Lovely times for 13, 11, and 9 year olds. :)

Ironically, since we are talking about Kali... I’ve also gotten soaked on it. The stupid little waterfall at the end nailed myself and my middle brother. Everyone else? Totally dry. It’s not a great water ride.

Touchdown

I prepare for water rides, if I’m going to ride one I wear my tevas, swimsuit and a t shirt that dries quickly. Kali is fun but far lower on my list then it’s brother in California (#1) nor it’s cross town rival (#2 Popeyes, haven’t been on infinity falls yet)

BlakeW39

Just a quick internet search shows these pieces of concept art.View attachment 398220View attachment 398221 While it definitely would have issues, I know there +are other “boat safari” rides out there. aX
For instance, I seem to recall hearing about one at a Mexican nature park called Xcaret.
Ah yes I've seen those. For some reason I remembered it using the same ride vehicle.

If there's one thing I can probably teach you all something about - it's zoology. It's kind of my thing haha. But I can tell you right now; an AZA zoo from *Disney* cannot do that. Maybe there would be a technical loop hole, but for the sake of the animals, they should not be in that type of environment. They'd have to pull off something really special to fix the innate problems with that idea... River Run can't happen (and didn't for a reason).

The Mexican ride you're talking about is not a comparable ride to TRR in any way btw.

A good boat ride with animals alongside would be very difficult, perhaps impossible, to do with automated vehicles. They would likely need a CM on board having some sort of control of the boat’s movement as well as communication with other CMs. And today’s Disney tends to spend hundreds of millions to bring down ops costs rather than just spend tens of millions on ops because it looks slightly better on the balance sheet. Just one of many reasons it’ll likely never happen, unfortunately, and one of the reasons they have no intention of adding animals to the park. Animal Kingdom would’ve never been built under the Bobs.
Sadly, you might be all too right. I just don't see the Bobs creating the South America everyone keeps asking for - and I really don't see them attempting another Kilimanjaro.

Not to mention... large cats kinda like to swim ;)
Well not really, jaguars and tigers do. But they can't swim in the rapids water regardless, lol..? I think you're understanding my saying they hate water, no, but no animal wants to be in a chaotic environment daily. They *live* there 24/7 and must have a stable environment. 2min of ride time isn't a barrier to that environment. Nor is a glass wall.

Kman101

Zootopia: isn't that a movie about animals. If so, it definitely fits the Animal Kingdom theme. ;)
Congrats! You can now be a Disney executive!! ;) LOL That's exactly what they'd probably say to justify it. I mean, it's already being built in Shanghai so why not clone it? Sigh .... lol

Kman101

I don’t think it’s one of the worst. Rapids rides are generally weak. Disney’s are better than most. Kali is merely Disney’s worst. Tiger Rapids Run would have been quite nice. And since the ride was built to be Asia’s E-ticket and the first “expansion” of the park (not exactly since it was already under construction when the park opened, but it opened just before the park’s first birthday) it shouldn’t have been value engineered.
So which rapids ride is worse? Just wondering because Kali is pretty much top tier bad. And it's bad in the sense that there's not much to it. What's there is nice enough.

You said it yourself, it shouldn't have been value engineered.

It's not interesting or exciting. It's something else to do in the park and you may get wet.

BlakeW39

So which rapids ride is worse? Just wondering because Kali is pretty much top tier bad. And it's bad in the sense that there's not much to it. What's there is nice enough.

You said it yourself, it shouldn't have been value engineered.

It's not interesting or exciting. It's something else to do in the park and you may get wet.
Well I don't know if it's *that* bad. I'm not drawn to it, skip it on most trips, and would rather just ride one of DAK's much better eides again; because it's boring ans there isn't much to it. But it isn't terrible or anything I object to vehemently.

That said rapids rides aren't all that to me so I really couldn't answer your questions. I often skip good ones.

Kman101

Well I don't know if it's *that* bad. I'm not drawn to it, skip it on most trips, and would rather just ride one of DAK's much better eides again; because it's boring ans there isn't much to it. But it isn't terrible or anything I object to vehemently.

That said rapids rides aren't all that to me so I really couldn't answer your questions. I often skip good ones.
I don't care much about rapids rides either but I still look forward to going on Grizzly again in DCA. I haven't been on Kali in probably a decade. So I agree. I wasn't defending it or anything, lol, I was agreeing it's bad, and not sure what Mansion thinks is worse since they admitted as we all knew it was value engineered, too short and not enough to see. It's very blah.

Top Bottom