News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

Chef idea Mickey`=

Haha.. I still cannot believe having what I wrote as just some wish I think nobody would know how or just talk that a thread and completed art you have already exists* 😁 I'm glad I asked..otherwise who knows if I would have found your thread!
I posted a thread on the Imagineering forums with a concept for a redo of the exterior while trying not to change the overall shape of the building or number of rooms, etc.

LittleBuford

I posted a thread on the Imagineering forums with a concept for a redo of the exterior while trying not to change the overall shape of the building or number of rooms, etc.
I prefer your design too (well done!), but I’m not sure it addresses perhaps the biggest criticism people keep voicing, namely that the building, being as large and imposing as it is, mars the transition between the Polynesian and Grand Floridian. Your version, though more beautiful, is even taller than what they’ve built!

Chef idea Mickey`=

I prefer your design too (well done!), but I’m not sure it addresses perhaps the biggest criticism people keep voicing, namely that the building, being as large and imposing as it is, mars the transition between the Polynesian and Grand Floridian. Your version, though more beautiful, is even taller than what they’ve built!
It's much better though the roofs and roof designs bring the aesthetics from the longhouses making the building appear suddle and longer than bulky. The Villas at Grand have aesthetic and roofing like Grand Floridian and so does this. Even the front looks nicer to me!

etc98

Yeah, I’m sure there would be much better options if it was more low rise and the massing was different. But for this project specifically I wanted to challenge myself to keep the massing, number of floors, and overall shape of the building the same, and only change the ornamentation and details.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Yeah, I’m sure there would be much better options if it was more low rise and the massing was different. But for this project specifically I wanted to challenge myself to keep the massing, number of floors, and overall shape of the building the same, and only change the ornamentation and details.
You my friend made this building beautiful without changing it's current shape nor height nor size and that's incredible! 👌 Also you made it to be it's own with Polynesian resort motifs we love when easily you could just thrown roofs from Aluani.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Can you provide me with 5 names of people who've posted in this thread who've claimed something to the effect that they think it looks real good so far?

I know I haven't said that.
I don't have any names but thought I'd respond about a conversation I had with a friend who just returned from a stay at Polynesian and he is a hard core fan of the resort and I expected him to completely rip into the new tower and sight lines, etc.

He made (IMO) a valid point. He said when you're heading towards MK from Polynesian or Grand Floridian, you're mostly looking towards the park, and the view is still amazing. When you're leaving MK, you're NOT looking towards the park and the view isn't exactly ruined. No more than BLT as you boat towards Contemporary or WL.

That's not to say the new tower is exactly fluid in its theme, but it's also not anything that will ruin a vacation or jolts you out of having a good time.

His take was definitely "glass half full" and it made me realize that perhaps I could attempt to do the same in some areas regarding the parks. Some, not all, lol!

Last edited:

Chef idea Mickey`=

It's a Giant Building but c'mon it's not like it's so ugly that any of us need to hide from it. I think the general point here is it's only on one side one end of the vast Polynesian Village Resort property! The Look away seems more suited for The Riviera vs Caribbean Beach. 😂

easyrowrdw

Haven’t you been reading these boards? When you’re within eyesight of this building you’re to look elsewhere- the other direction, at your feet, at your phone.
Why three? There’s only a half dozen or so of us commenting on this. @easyrowrdw and @Mr. Sullivan have kept suggesting you don’t look in that general direction, which is tough if your at the Lava Pool, on the Monorail (as the OP was) or at the GF wedding pavilion.
Your comments aren't consistent with each other. The latter is closer to accurate, but still not what I said. I made no mention of views from the monorail or at the Grand Floridian.
I stayed at the Poly in December and May. You really don't see the new building from most of the resort.
It's just the angles. If you're on the beach looking over toward the new building you will see it. But if you're just about anywhere between the pool and the TTC you don't see much, if any, of the building. Even sitting at the pool, the volcano hides a lot of it.

I also rarely find myself looking that direction when I'm at the resort. I'm far more likely to be looking at the lake, castle, boats, or grounds. It's not about looking away for me, but rather the resort itself doesn't seem to draw me that direction.

I would've still preferred a different style for the new building though.

JoeCamel

I don't have any names but thought I'd respond about a conversation I had with a friend who just returned from a stay at Polynesian and he is a hard core fan of the resort and I expected him to completely rip into the new tower and sight lines, etc.

He made (IMO) a valid point. He said when you're heading towards MK from Polynesian or Grand Floridian, you're mostly looking towards the park, and the view is still amazing. When you're leaving MK, you're NOT looking towards the park and the view isn't exactly ruined. No more than BLT as you boat towards Contemporary or WL.

That's not to say the new tower is exactly fluid in its theme, but it's also not anything that will ruin a vacation or jolts you out of having a good time.

His take was definitely "glass half full" and it made me realize that perhaps I could attempt to do the same in some areas regarding the parks. Some, not all, lol!
It's nothing a bunch of 40 foot palm trees and bamboo can't fix........

Got back from my trip and the narrative on here that this new resort sticks out is way over blown. From the entrance to the MK one of the islands on seven seas lagoon actual hides most on the structure. When walking around the poly, it does not stick out or loom over the entire resort. Majority of the resort you can’t even see it.

I got to tour the model rooms at the DVC visitation center on Sunday and wow are the rooms beautiful!

Disney Analyst

Got back from my trip and the narrative on here that this new resort sticks out is way over blown. From the entrance to the MK one of the islands on seven seas lagoon actual hides most on the structure. When walking around the poly, it does not stick out or loom over the entire resort. Majority of the resort you can’t even see it.

I got to tour the model rooms at the DVC visitation center on Sunday and wow are the rooms beautiful!

Thanks for bringing your first hand account here!

Chef idea Mickey`=

"There it Is! FOLKS!"

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Member add-on sales begin today. Below are the opening incentives:

Screenshot_20241001_094602_Chrome.jpg

Unsurprisingly the incentives are garbage.

New member sales begin October 29.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I believe that they are thinking it would sell like hotcakes even with no incentives - and they are probably right about that.

Yes, that's it. It hasn't been this way in a while now but in a different era the "best prices" were when the resort first opened sales. The thought at the time was to make a lot of money quickly. Philosophy has shifted, probably appropriately for a business, to squeeze as much as possible from the early adopters who are going to be at any price. It didn't make sense to offer bigger discounts to those people. The secondary benefit of high prices is that *if* sales are slowed down then Disney also benefits from slowing rate of declarations and keeps more inventory for cash reservations. It's when the new shine wears off that Disney wants to change the mix and have more guests on points. And if people do buy at high prices and they declare more rooms quickly then Disney benefits from more cash per point sold.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom