News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

rle4lunch

Regardless of the hate, we're still booking it on Oct 15th with our points. I hope it's a pleasant surprise. We've made it a goal to stay at all DVC resorts. We did have 3 left, now we have 4. And I agree with the opinions on Rivera being kinda dull and sterile, but the rooms are good sized and nearly on par with GF. We own at Poly, but the existing DVC rooms are kinda dark and still feel like their styling is from the late 70's early 80's, which is fine, but a lighter color change in the rooms will be a welcome sight for us.

I'm hoping that Kidanis updates next year will lighten them too. The dark orange hues make them feel dated...

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
View from 3rd floor of Tokelau, obviously before painting would have have blended into skyline better than gray.

Screenshot_20240919_082315_Photos.jpg

mysto

Yeah people, it doesn’t stick out! Just avert your eyes!

View attachment 816704

View attachment 816705
I stayed on the garden side of Tuvalu long ago and it felt like being in a jungle by a river dock. Now it looks like an urban jungle. The tictok vids will be majestic.

Best is something of a matter of taste. To me the wilderness feel at a resort destination was the best. The bubble. A quiet reprieve from the bustle of the parks.

spresso81

I am honestly shocked that they put this tower so close to the wedding pavilion. I thought they generated a ton of income from weddings held there from the venue, party and associated hotel stays for weddings.

Having this hulking tower over the venue should really impact the allure of having a wedding there.....I would think.....

easyrowrdw

Pixie Dust sunglasses
It's just the angles. If you're on the beach looking over toward the new building you will see it. But if you're just about anywhere between the pool and the TTC you don't see much, if any, of the building. Even sitting at the pool, the volcano hides a lot of it.

I also rarely find myself looking that direction when I'm at the resort. I'm far more likely to be looking at the lake, castle, boats, or grounds. It's not about looking away for me, but rather the resort itself doesn't seem to draw me that direction.

I would've still preferred a different style for the new building though.

Last edited:
I’ve invested in DVC because I love all it has to offer. The resorts feel like a getaway themselves especially since my trips are no longer parks every day from open to close. I enjoy the size of the rooms and the amenities in them (kitchens, laundry,etc). I enjoy the grounds, pools and restaurants/dining options. I do not go to a hotel to walk 100 yards away from it, turn around, and complain how it looks as an overall structure.

Also I personally enjoy the tower type resorts as opposed to the sprawling multiple buildings. Saratoga and old key west are too big in my mind. You get a bad room and you are very far from pools, food, bus stops.

I get Disney is different especially with the bar that has been set with previous resorts. But the spaces in the resort you actually use when you go there (rooms, restaurants, pools) look beautiful for this resort. I could not care less about the “gray box” or odd shaped roof or glued on windows.

Bocabear

well that is your opinion....I think the Big Gray Box ( which is now beige and brown) could and should have been styled to fit and match the resort... to look cohesive with the feel... It could have been done with the styling of the box instead of the weird modern building we see.
a big part of what I have always loved about the Poly was the look of the resort as a whole... the intimate island village feel... Once you drop a very tall very modern building into the mix, the feel of the whole changes... it did with the over-water bungalows and is changing again. Which matters to me...as a fan, as a guest, as a DVC owner.

mysto

View attachment 816725
This angle is odd and annoying from the two square back part sticking out rising higher than the front tower's roof. From the back you can see a window as if it's a hallway?. I don't know why this is needed or necessary!
The top of the elevator shafts are probably there, some large pulley and possibly motors may actually be required. It would also be pretty typical to have some HVAC up there.

Once you drop a very tall very modern building into the mix, the feel of the whole changes... it did with the over-water bungalows and is changing again. Which matters to me...as a fan, as a guest, as a DVC owner.
I’m excited to see it in a week when I head down there for my next trip. Interested to see what it looks like around the poly resort now that the tower is getting painted. Interested to see how it blends (if at all).

I do agree that the views from the shore line will take some getting used to but hoping from the pool to TTC it doesn’t distract from the intimate island setting too much.

Mr. Sullivan

Imagine if @Mr. Sullivan was a young imagineer and said such a thing to John Hench.
I never said it's hideous. I don't think it's hideous at all. I don't think it's the most beautiful thing they've built on property, but I don't think it's ugly either.

All I said was it was built in a location that if you do think it's hideous, you don't have to see it if you don't want to if you're at the resort. I don't know why that's a controversial statement.

There's plenty to be mad at at WDW but a building that you absolutely can ignore isn't one of them. Everyone here getting so inexplicably frustrated and defensive about people not joining them in being overly emotional about an ignorable DVC tower is rather strange to witness. Of all the things to be this concerned over, I really don't think this tower is worth that energy.

Mr. Sullivan

Because it’s not true.
We have had multiple people now say that it’s not really visible from most of the resort? I’m not making that up. If that’s incorrect then so be it, I’ll take that L, but some people are saying it’s not super visible from most of the resort while others claim otherwise. Let’s clear that up.

Which is it? Is it super visible from the whole resort or isn’t it?

If it’s the former, then yeah that makes it hard to swallow for most. If it’s the latter then what is stopping anyone from just ignoring it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom