News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

Disney Analyst

"Let’s start with everyone’s favorite subject—food! We’ve learned that the Polynesian Island Tower will feature a brand-new restaurant. The concept art showcases a beautiful space with large wooden columns adorned with intricate carvings, reflecting traditional Polynesian motifs. The color palette consists of warm earth tones—browns, beiges, and hints of gold—that enhance the natural, serene environment. Surrounded by lush greenery, the space exudes an indoor-outdoor feel, perfect for a tropical dining experience. Based on what we’ve seen, we believe there will also be an outdoor lounge or patio seating area as part of the restaurant.

To the far left of the image, there’s a bar or lounge area that promises to be a fantastic addition to both the restaurant and the nearby pool. The second image reveals an overhead installation featuring large fish, possibly representing marine life native to tropical or Polynesian waters. The restaurant appears to draw heavily from Polynesian or tropical inspirations, focusing on natural materials and designs that celebrate local culture and environment without any noticeable Disney IP or other touches."

JoeCamel

"Let’s start with everyone’s favorite subject—food! We’ve learned that the Polynesian Island Tower will feature a brand-new restaurant. The concept art showcases a beautiful space with large wooden columns adorned with intricate carvings, reflecting traditional Polynesian motifs. The color palette consists of warm earth tones—browns, beiges, and hints of gold—that enhance the natural, serene environment. Surrounded by lush greenery, the space exudes an indoor-outdoor feel, perfect for a tropical dining experience. Based on what we’ve seen, we believe there will also be an outdoor lounge or patio seating area as part of the restaurant.

To the far left of the image, there’s a bar or lounge area that promises to be a fantastic addition to both the restaurant and the nearby pool. The second image reveals an overhead installation featuring large fish, possibly representing marine life native to tropical or Polynesian waters. The restaurant appears to draw heavily from Polynesian or tropical inspirations, focusing on natural materials and designs that celebrate local culture and environment without any noticeable Disney IP or other touches."
But will they serve Tonga Toast?

Chef idea Mickey`=

Wow for this to offer a restaurant and food offerings this goes different than Grand Floridian Villas and Bay Lake Tower. However Grand Floridian and The Contemporary have more dining offerings and The Poly did lose the Luau Dinner Show so it actually makes sense that something is made up for that!

JoeCamel

Wow for this to offer a restaurant and food offerings this goes different than Grand Floridian Villas and Bay Lake Tower. However Grand Floridian and The Contemporary have more dining offerings and The Poly did lose the Luau Dinner Show so it actually makes sense that something is made up for that!
I would not be surprised to see the luau return in some form, it made too much money to not be an offering

easyrowrdw

I like the Moana figure and boat but I hope that’s not it. The existing one at the Poly is excellent. I hope there’s more along those lines to go with what’s seen here.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Why, It wasn't dropped because it was bad or didn't draw? It was a space thing that the venue is no longer

I see, so instead letting folks know that it's likely to be moved over and speculation when it would open again maybe they will focus on it once after the Poly Tower is completed! Interesting Interesting. A surprise announcement commenced. Seems obvious it was making money!

Chef idea Mickey`=

Sadly it’s gone and not likely coming back. Unfortunately being outdoors and weather dependent complicated things all too often. I think WDW was ok seeing it go away in favor of more DVC. Definitely a shame to lose something unique though.

The fact that they were cutting entertainment everywhere you'd be surprise why this one when with this one your making in money from dinner shows vs say the drummers from Japan or the Grand Floridian Orchestra! It's always possible they want to wait and bring it back in a big surprising way, it brought culture and special vibes, it doesn't seem to matter to them Universal still has theirs.

Bocabear

The fact that they were cutting entertainment everywhere you'd be surprise why this one when with this one your making in money from dinner shows vs say the drummers from Japan or the Grand Floridian Orchestra! It's always possible they want to wait and bring it back in a big surprising way, it brought culture and special vibes, it doesn't seem to matter to them Universal still has theirs.
Sadly it seems that all those special magical experiences are gone forever... Who has time to look up from their phones to see entertainment?? I have to book a reservation to buy a corn dog! LOL
I do lament the loss of the little things like unexpected entertainment a magical experience.

John park hopper

Sadly it seems that all those special magical experiences are gone forever... Who has time to look up from their phones to see entertainment?? I have to book a reservation to buy a corn dog! LOL
I do lament the loss of the little things like unexpected entertainment a magical experience.
Why go to WDW and look at your phone all day. Stay home save your money and look at u-tube videos of WDW all day long --whats the difference

Last edited:

Bocabear

This is like saying cancel fireworks because no one has time to look up.
That's pretty much the joke of it... as they keep refining the experience to have all of our moments planned and on a schedule kept in our phones, we are all becoming tied to our screens... And I think a lot of people responding to the NYT article have said the same thing...

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Haven’t seen this reported.

A fitness centre has been confirmed. Also outdoor viewing platforms with views to MK.

Also units on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 7th & 9th (penthouse level) have been declared. No info yet on sales.

Awesome! A gym is the only thing that made sense for the space so it's great to see confirmation.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Two images of the pocket gardens are about as expected with two floors or hallways and one door, although that's a lot of bare concrete on walls so hopefully that gets dressed up:

20240809_123051.jpg

20240809_123045.jpg

And some roof work:
20240809_123019.jpg

Dated 8.9.24

CraftyFox

As someone native to the Pacific who has lived in Polynesia for most of their life, I really wish there was more of an attempt at actually emulating/borrowing elements from traditional Polynesian architecture! It just feels so bland. Aulani was a great start, I wish they had attempted something with a similar effect here.

Funnily enough, the original Polynesian buildings are actually not in a traditional Islander style. Rather, they seem to be based on the plantation homes built by Europeans and Americans during the 19th and early 20th centuries in the Pacific (but not exclusively). The roofline and wide verandas are very derivative of this style.

IMG_4125.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom