News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

Biff215

At this point I’m only keeping my DVC for Aulani. I was fortunate to buy low 16 years ago before things got crazy.

The original “wings” they added to some of the deluxe resorts were nice. Even Kidani seemed to fit. These huge new additions, particularly around the monorail loop, are what’s ruining DVC (and WDW to a degree) in my opinion.

It makes me wish they simply stuck to standalone DVC resorts, even if they included a hotel component like Boardwalk or Aulani.

I know some would argue that the Poly died when DVC came the first time. I was able to move past that and still enjoy it but this one does it for me.

tl77

FN5r3W_XsAIDkV8.jpg

So judging by this concept art this is "roughly" what they're going to do... destroy Laua Cove and build a high rise with a tiny footprint in it's place which in no way looks or feels like The Polynesian VILLAGE Resort that people have known an loved for 50 years

new poly dvc1.jpg

So it's slightly better than the first attept at a Poly DVC ...who needs a hotel room with 2 showers in it? I don't know, but at least it Looks and feels like the Poly... because your staying if a former Poly hotel room. This new building is like a Holiday Inn that going to be built next door to the Polynesian Resort, but is in no way the same experience of the original, and is "destroying the history of the original resort by knocking down Luau Cove? ...They got the new Monorail Station right though

polynesian-render-soon-16x9-1.jpg

The New Monorail Station "looks and feels" like it belongs on the front of this 50 year old resort. It's like if you're restoring a classic car made in 1971, you want to try and match the original design aesthetic of the car and use "period correct parts" that's what they seem to have done with the New Monorail Station... so if you're going to build a new pool on top Luau Cove, how about making it look like the original "lava rock" pool?
1989_August_Disney_World_0210.jpg-nggid047623-ngg0dyn-2400x1708x90-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.jpg

And if you going to build a new DVC?/ Maybe just that the blue Prints from the original DVC, now called Old Key West, and use that as the starting point, and just theme it to look like the original buildings at the Poly

Disney's-Old-Key-West-Building6.jpg

old-key-west-buildings.jpg

Seems like not only would this "look and feel" like BEING AT THE POLY!!! You could probably make these building a story or 2 taller and fit a lot more of them in the space you have to work with

new poly dvc2.jpg

DonaldDoleWhip

At this point I’m only keeping my DVC for Aulani. I was fortunate to buy low 16 years ago before things got crazy.

The original “wings” they added to some of the deluxe resorts were nice. Even Kidani seemed to fit. These huge new additions, particularly around the monorail loop, are what’s ruining DVC (and WDW to a degree) in my opinion.

It makes me wish they simply stuck to standalone DVC resorts, even if they included a hotel component like Boardwalk or Aulani.

I know some would argue that the Poly died when DVC came the first time. I was able to move past that and still enjoy it but this one does it for me.
This. I don't hate DVC being added to the deluxe resorts by any means, but how things have fallen since Boardwalk (the exception that started the rule, with both sides purpose-built as a cohesive whole).

Boulder Ridge, BCV, and AKV all worked as extensions, even if Kidani has some exterior problems (namely that one military-green wing of the building at the very front they didn't bother to theme).

From there, BLT and VGF seriously impacted the scale of their original resorts, the bungalows cluttered up what was once a breathtaking view across the lagoon, and Riviera doesn't bother to evoke anything besides gray and mansard roofs.

Clearly there's no turning back and the direction forward is clear - what a shame.

MagicRat

F4D5CA08-ACD6-410B-BDCA-BB66310AD862.jpeg

Just asking does this look Polynesian? If the design was modern as shown but white would it make the nostalgics happy? But then it would look like the Hawaiian Grand Floridian.

I actually stay at the Polynesian and surrounding hotels at bay lake so I am glad there are more options for eating, drinking and shopping.

Good job Disney,

JMcMahonEsq

If I had deep pockets I'd want to stay in a resort themed to the nines (or tens) that was transportive to the highest degree possible. But apparently those who can actually afford more desire less and find such things cheesy.
No you really wouldn’t. And the reason you wouldn’t is very simple. At that disposable income price point your not interested in “themed” resorts. If you want something that feels like a Polynesian resort, your going to go there. Your not going to look for an attempt to recreate it in Florida. You want a “lodge” your not going to wilderness lodge, your heading to Aspen.

Casper Gutman

No you really wouldn’t. And the reason you wouldn’t is very simple. At that disposable income price point your not interested in “themed” resorts. If you want something that feels like a Polynesian resort, your going to go there. Your not going to look for an attempt to recreate it in Florida. You want a “lodge” your not going to wilderness lodge, your heading to Aspen.
This would make sense if Disney’s theming was meant to replicate things that actually exist. It isn’t. Disney theming is meant to be more the thing then the thing itself - more of a Wilderness Lodge then any actual Wilderness Lodge, for instance. That’s the entire point. There’s a lot of very significant scholarly literature on exactly this topic.

PS: By the way, what you just wrote is a perfect glimpse into how Disney execs think of the park. Anyone with enough sense and money would go see the REAL thing - theme parks are for morons. This misses the entire point of Disney parks and their incredible cultural significance, of course, but it’s absolutely prevalent among decision makers. It would never occur to them that they, not the park guests, are the ignorant ones.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This would make sense if Disney’s theming was meant to replicate things that actually exist. It isn’t. Disney theming is meant to be more the thing then the thing itself - more of a Wilderness Lodge then any actual Wilderness Lodge, for instance. That’s the entire point. There’s a lot of very significant scholarly literature on exactly this topic.

PS: By the way, what you just wrote is a perfect glimpse into how Disney execs think of the park. Anyone with enough sense and money would go see the REAL thing - theme parks are for morons. This misses the entire point of Disney parks and their incredible cultural significance, of course, but it’s absolutely prevalent among decision makers. It would never occur to them that they, not the park guests, are the ignorant ones.
…he’s never gonna get it.

…they’re supposed to be facsimiles with “quirks” based on the branding from a different era. It wasn’t broke…but they’re fixing it.

CAV

Looks nice. I bet the studios will be smaller than the existing DVC studios, however. I care more to learn about pools and dining. Both will be necessary.
For dining, you will have a choice of a filet, chicken, scallops and something plant based. But you will be afforded to opportunity to pay top dollar because each entree will have a fancy, Polynesian name.

CaptainAmerica

Why do I get the feeling from the drawing, that it's Bay Lake Tower except rectangular? Another brain-fart is which would be more expensive pointwise, BLT or this? Would they handle parking under the monorail?
BLT and this will alternate more and less expensive based on view categories.

Calmdownnow

True but if you're going to have "more dining options", I'd hope for a QS at ground floor and a top level TS. My quick, amateur assessment looking at the artwork is that there will be 2 Grand Villas on each side for the Lagoon/TP View and the top will be for a restaurant. Just a hunch
Plus, if this is rolled into the existing DVC, one of the objectives may be to address the points problem cause by all of those waterfront villas. You don't want to add more than a couple of Grand Villas (sleeping 12 or 13) in the new building because they would drain even more points away from use of the bungalows (sleeping fewer guests) . Unless of course, you want the bungalows to not be booked by DVC members so that you can sell them (for cash to wealthy, but one-off non-member visitors} as a perpetual cash-cow for Disney Resorts funded by DVC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom