News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

UNCgolf

A swing? Not really sure.

Yeah, I had that thought too, but if it's a swing it's a pretty big one. Unless the scale is way off it looks like the structure is 10 or more feet tall. I also thought those gaps in the building were completely open spaces without guest access but it looks like there's a glass wall there, so maybe not.

It does look like they've drawn multiple people inside whatever it is. Also yes, the image you posted worked, thanks!

Last edited:

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
This water feature looks nice:
Screenshot_20220315-185145_Samsung Internet.jpg

Disone

Sure, if you put it in the middle of a city or a beachside resort that isn't supposed to be themed. It doesn't look anything like the rest of the Polynesian.

It reminds me of the concept art for the cancelled Reflections.
I agree that it does look like reflections

Joe

I'm only visiting this planet.
Premium Member
For dining, you will have a choice of a filet, chicken, scallops and something plant based. But you will be afforded to opportunity to pay top dollar because each entree will have a fancy, Polynesian name.
I'm thinking more like a Cake and Bake Shop.

UNCgolf

There are some decent things about it. The roofline is just really wrong stylistically and it's in a very tight spot. Also, the stuff that looks like wood in the rendering had better either be actual wood or a convincing composite, not the brown beams of the porte cochère.

Yeah, this is kind of how I feel. There are some very nice details/touches scattered around in that concept art that look pretty good.

The problem is that it looks like it was built off the blueprint for an upscale apartment complex, and then they added some stuff on top to make it more Polynesian. That's certainly better than the Riviera, which looks like it was built for a mid-tier hotel chain (i.e. not even an upscale one), but it's still a bit jarring. The other issue is that it doesn't fit in with the rest of the resort in either overall style or size. It's going to tower over the other buildings at the Polynesian.

The other problem, as you mentioned, is the final execution. The new porte cochère looked pretty good in concept art but they butchered the actual execution. They did very little (if any) of the necessary detail work to make it look remotely realistic. If all of the wood touches etc. on this end up obviously painted concrete/metal, it's not going to look good.

This would be a pretty nice building (depending on the final detail work) in another location, but dropping it in to a tight spot right next to the other buildings at the Polynesian is a bad fit.

zapple

It’s not only tall but it’s quite long, so it’s going to look very different over there now. It’s going to be really close to the wedding pavilion. I hope it has nice amenities and they don’t cut too much, but we know they will. I just think that the Poly is already too crowded and this is going to make it worse.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There is a former poster here who has a site now. This Disney Tourist has a write up that pretty much expresses what many of us are feeling on this.
Wait…the WOO has a website?!? 🤔
This era of WDW will be defined by the alarming number of big, uninspired boxes that are being plopped down wherever on property with zero consideration for their surroundings.
I don’t think so. The customers no longer care or even know the difference. They show up with cards at the ready as if they’ve been to sea for six months and the ship just pulled up in Singapore.

GCTales

I don’t know how to post the full resolution picture without it automatically being downscaled. But yes, I have a higher res version.

Edit: here try this, you should be able to pinch and zoom on mobile

Since we are all comparing it to Reflections, is there anything anyone saw in what was published of that design (or what has been published of the CA hotel / DVC concepts) that resembles this feature (or the hanging vine opening towards the left) that might give us an idea?

Hotamber

Its the same swing seat that is in the bungalows on the porch. Poly has always had issues with dining being over crowded or impossible to get into, this wont help. Wonder if they will finally add a gym, business center and community hall to be like other deluxe DVC properties

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom