News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

Bocabear

I'm sure the interior will be solid and the rooms will impress. I'm sure people will enjoy new dining options (Poly could use something upscale) and amenities. To be fair, all of the new towers have done a good job offering modern, comfortable interiors.

But part of the allure of the Seven Seas Lagoon has been chipped away with each towering/boxy structure that's been added. In the past, the monorail resorts each occupied their own distinct space, and even some of the unbuilt plans (e.g. Venetian or Mediterranean) would have beautifully maintained that.

Now, the lagoon is increasingly cluttered and discordant, bringing down the area from 'magical escape' to something almost Vegas-lite. I'm disappointed they're doubling down on this approach, but can't blame them as it seems to be working.
To be fair, The Holiday Inn has modern comfortable rooms... This is a premium deluxe hotel...One known for it's romantic Polynesian-theme decor and style.
I have not stayed at Gran Destino Tower, but I have stayed at the Riviera which was no more themed to The Riviera than the Hilton Disney Springs is themed to an Italian Palazzo...
This plan should go back for re-design...It should align more closely with the aesthetics of the resort it is going in... I hope and pray it is not another Riviera, but it sure looks like one.

UNCgolf

I have to disagree with you on that one from the last time we stayed there. The rooms felt small and laid out poorly.

Really? When I stayed there in 2017 I thought our room was a much better value than any room I'd stayed in at Disney, and the room itself was nicer than most (not all) Disney rooms too. The bed was a particular highlight -- the mattress was exceptional.

I prefer WDW to Universal by a wide margin, so I'm not in any rush to go back, but I would love to pay what I paid to stay at Royal Pacific and get a room like that at Disney.

Last edited:

DonaldDoleWhip

To be fair, The Holiday Inn has modern comfortable rooms... This is a premium deluxe hotel...One known for it's romantic Polynesian-theme decor and style.
I have not stayed at Gran Destino Tower, but I have stayed at the Riviera which was no more themed to The Riviera than the Hilton Disney Springs is themed to an Italian Palazzo...
This plan should go back for re-design...It should align more closely with the aesthetics of the resort it is going in... I hope and pray it is not another Riviera, but it sure looks like one.
Oh, that's really the highest praise I have for this concept: that the interior won't suck.

Saw Tom Bricker's take that this tower is also reminiscent of the new Disneyland Hotel DVC, in addition to Reflections. These structures shouldn't look like rip-offs of each other, yet here we are.

cindy_k

What's even more horrible is they already had a design that would have fit better. All they had to do was scale it down.
This is the Aulani DVC resort in Hawaii.
bGFuaS5qcGc

durangojim

What's even more horrible is they already had a design that would have fit better. All they had to do was scale it down.
This is the Aulani DVC resort in Hawaii.
bGFuaS5qcGc
That's exactly what I thought too! When we stayed at Aulani in 2017 I felt like it was the Polynesian plus or 2.0. It was wonderful! I'm shocked they didn't bring some of the same aesthetic over to the Poly. Seemed like a perfect chance to do so.

EeyoreFan#24

Wasn’t there another roadwork phase to realign the roadway and add roundabouts by the Polynesian? Maybe something to indicate where it would generally sit?

I might be confusing it with something else going on with all the roadwork around there.

Edit - found it, it was closer to the GF. Poly looks the same layout as before.

Last edited:

SpaceMountain77

Current sentiment seems to be about 70/30 that they'll keep it as an expansion of the existing association.

I shudder at the thought of the conversations happening on the DVC Disboard right now.

Should I contact my guide to get on a waitlist? Do you think it will be $300 per point? I am within my 10 days, should I cancel my VGF2 add-on?

I remember when I was an active poster there and left for another site ;)

TikibirdLand

Wow. That's a Poly eye-sore. They're going to put that, next to this? :oops::mad:
ZXNvcnQxNy5qcGc

No. Behind it. Think Waikiki but without the beautiful water and volcanos. it'll stick up behind your lagoon facing rooms. That's better than the DVC villas they built blocking the lagoon from several other longhouses. What IS the purpose of that hole in the building anyway. I do like the idea of the Monorail going through it!

1647373560465.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom