News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Are fish confided to a small, dirty tank in the ocean? Also yes, I’ve been snorkelling and diving many times and would highly recommend it btw.

Also the tank with alligators was just really sad.
If it helps - the alligators have been gone for a few years.

ToTBellHop

Are fish confided to a small, dirty tank in the ocean? Also yes, I’ve been snorkelling and diving many times and would highly recommend it btw.

Also the tank with alligators was just really sad.
A small, dirty tank?

The water is cleaner than the actual ocean and the fish in the Seas don’t routinely get eaten. As for the Land, any fish you eat was once killed: the perils of being an omnivore. Most fish we eat come from a fish farm like the one on the ride. And farmed fish are better for populations than traditional fishing as it’s more controlled. Out in the real ocean, there is a bigger risk of over-fishing.

And 9 out of 10 fish think the tank is enormous.

Better skip Sea World and any zoo.

blizeH

If it helps - the alligators have been gone for a few years.
This is great news, thanks :)

I agree with you completely about overfishing and fish farms by the way, I have a family member who works on one and it sounds awful - they hate it. Of course being an omnivore also means we have a choice whether or not we eat them :)

I’m kinda surprised that people are defending this tbh:

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

This is great news, thanks :)

I agree with you completely about overfishing and fish farms by the way, I have a family member who works on one and it sounds awful - they hate it. Of course being an omnivore also means we have a choice whether or not we eat them :)

I’m kinda surprised that people are defending this tbh:
And here they are in the wild:

Trying to post gators but server won’t allow it. I like that you are looking out for animals, but these ones are not being abused. If we choose not to eat them, someone else will. There’s a song about it in a movie with lions that’s being remade...

ToTBellHop

View attachment 1563462449172.jpeg

Here’s the other.

Say what you will about the company, and I criticize them too, but their commitment to treat animals well on property is unsurpassed in the industry. If you don’t believe me, look no further than their outstanding elephant breeding program. Elephants are notoriously difficult to breed and frequently lose pregnancies if they are not happy. Yet at DAK there are frequently new calves born.

Or tigers.

Or hippos.

Or rhinos.

They treat the animals better than they treat the guests.

jensenrick

Does this mean the awful “this is how your food is grown” and then tanks crammed full of fish, alligators etc is closing too? That was so off-putting to us, to the point we’re purposefully avoiding going to Epcot when we come back in a couple of months

I hope not. That is one of the few remaining areas that both is from OG Epcot, but still retains the spirit of OG Epcot.

blizeH

Better skip Sea World and any zoo.
Just a quick point relating to this, attitudes are definitely changing - almost every single tour operator here has dropped SeaWorld from their packages now, in fact only one remains and I don't think it'll be long before they ditch SeaWorld too.

Maybe it's just a UK thing though.

ToTBellHop

Just a quick point relating to this, attitudes are definitely changing - almost every single tour operator here has dropped SeaWorld from their packages now, in fact only one remains and I don't think it'll be long before they ditch SeaWorld too.

Maybe it's just a UK thing though.
How much of that do you think is due to Blackfish?

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
I think that was the main issue for 4-5 years (although, getting squeezed for vacation time by new ultra-themed additions like Pandora and Harry Potter at Disney and Universal couldn't have helped either).

SeaWorld Attendance the last 10-11 years has been:

2008- 5,926,000
2009- 5,800,000 (down 2.5%)
2010- 5,100,000 (down 12%)
2011- 5,202,000 (up 2%)
2012- 5,358,000 (up 3%)
2013- 5,090,000 (down 5%) [Blackfish came out in 2013]
2014- 4,683,000 (down 8%)
2015- 4,777,000 (up 2%)
2016- 4,402,000 (down 7.9%)
2017- 3,962,000 (down 10%)
2018- 4,594,000 (up 16%)

Blackfish undoubtedly had quite a bit to do with several years of decline but it was already trending that way for other reasons and, now, seems to possibly be wearing off and making a bit of a come back. The only notable thing for them in 2018 was opening Infinity Falls, but attendance popped 16% from the prior year. They debuted their Sesame Street land this year for 2019, so I would expect that they will probably receive another boost from that when numbers are ultimately in.

EDIT: Mods, Please feel free to move these Sea World comments to an appropriate thread or outright delete, I won’t continue with anymore off-topic here. 😃

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom