News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

CJR

What might cause PLAY! to be delayed in opening is that it's not a profit center, like a restaurant or store would be.

And it's not a headliner that would draw people to the park. In the end, it's just a play area. Nice to have for a crowded park. Unneeded for an uncrowded park.

I agree, although, I find it hard to believe EPCOT won't be crowded once Guardians opens next door. We'll see though, it's (Guardians) still pretty far out.

Technically, they can move work on PLAY! faster than they have been, so if they opt to move forward after stopping it, it shouldn't be hard. All the design work is complete, so this is something that I believe will come to EPCOT at one point or another.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I would imagine PLAY! to very much still be on track. This was supposed to open within 18 months. I think they are too far into development.

And streetmosphere acts are fully developed and yet cut to save costs to 'operate.'

When cash is tight, it's not at all about what's finished or unfinished it's about what generates income.

Haymarket2008

Wonders of Life had completed development when it closed. Even if the Play pavilion is finished, I’m not sure ops will ever open it in the foreseeable future, because the cost to operate might outweigh the benefits.

Not even remotely the same thing. Sponsorship had been pulled on a dated experience. Closure was inevitable.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I don’t think that is a comparable comparison in this instance.

I disagree. The argument is "it's almost built, so they *have* to finish it!"

They have to finish it based on what?

They announced it? (Hello, Main Street Theater!)

I've said that if the parks are back to their original crowds and they need capacity, *then* is makes sense to finish it.

But if crowds are low, Disney has no incentive to put money into a project to finish it that will then cost even more to run and is not a profit center, nor is it an attendance magnet. GotG will be an attendance magnet. PLAY! is just for extra capacity. No extra attendance, no PLAY!

Disney *is* a business.

Ripken10

I disagree. The argument is "it's almost built, so they *have* to finish it!"

They have to finish it based on what?

They announced it? (Hello, Main Street Theater!)

I've said that if the parks are back to their original crowds and they need capacity, *then* is makes sense to finish it.

But if crowds are low, Disney has no incentive to put money into a project to finish it that will then cost even more to run and is not a profit center, nor is it an attendance magnet. GotG will be an attendance magnet. PLAY! is just for extra capacity. No extra attendance, no PLAY!

Disney *is* a business.
MIght have already been posted, but seems related: https://touringplans.com/blog/2020/03/24/crowd-calendar-and-coronavirus/

Notable part: "Once Disney opens, we expect that it will take 8-10 weeks for Disney attendance to reach normal levels, and then attendance will be above normal as people reschedule their canceled vacation. This means it would take a year for Disney to get back normal crowd levels."

Obviously they are just making estimates, but if it works out to be true, we would see LARGER crowds in less than 3 months after it reopens. A lot depends on when it reopens. Not to venture too far into the politics of all this, but there is an argument that Disney's core target is not as hard hit by this economically as other classes are (not saying they are not affected) and in that class will be looking for outlets to spend cash they have not been spending.

A lot of layers to this, but the truth is nobody knows how people or the economy will respond to something like this. But I could see a scenario play out where these sort of things will be needed sooner than many are expecting it to.

No Name

I don’t think that is a comparable comparison in this instance.
Not even remotely the same thing. Sponsorship had been pulled on a dated experience. Closure was inevitable.

Nothing is comparable to the current situation. The point is that if Disney determines that the cost to run the Play pavilion outweighs the benefits it’ll have on the park, they’re not going to run it. Just because they built it doesn’t mean they have to open it.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Nothing is comparable to the current situation. The point is that if Disney determines that the cost to run the Play pavilion outweighs the benefits it’ll have on the park, they’re not going to run it. Just because they built it doesn’t mean they have to open it.

There's always *seasonal* openings.

If they finish it.

HauntedMansionFLA

With all this COVID-19 business, you'd think Disney would open a spiritual successor to Body Wars. But no. We have no health pavilion anymore, and it sucks. I just wanna see inside the Falcon, damn it!
With all this COVID-19 business, you'd think Disney would open a spiritual successor to Body Wars. But no. We have no health pavilion anymore, and it sucks. I just wanna see inside the Falcon, damn it!
I would love a health pavilion battling obesity but that would be calling most of the guest who cone to the parks. It sounds mean but walk around Epcot and most of the guest would be under the category of being obese under the standards put forward by the medical experts.

Kman101

So this gonna end up being all meet & greets? Not really concerned about this too much, but have been curious about how far along they were on the inside. Landscaping torn up outside ...

DreamfinderGuy

So this gonna end up being all meet & greets? Not really concerned about this too much, but have been curious about how far along they were on the inside. Landscaping torn up outside ...
Permits suggest that they started installing stuff. Gutting was completed at the bare minimum. Steel framing was visible from the access point between Pure & Simple and Cranium Command during the last marathon, and standing between Space and the Breezeway just before the parks closed got you a clean look into the area between Body Wars and Frontiers, which was also home to steel framing.

Kman101

Permits suggest that they started installing stuff. Gutting was completed at the bare minimum. Steel framing was visible from the access point between Pure & Simple and Cranium Command during the last marathon, and standing between Space and the Breezeway just before the parks closed got you a clean look into the area between Body Wars and Frontiers, which was also home to steel framing.

Thank you! I wasn't sure where they were at. Appreciate the info on it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom