New Park Rumored in Missouri!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwhets

Original Poster
Here's the latest folks, hot off the press!
We live in Joplin, Missouri, at the crossroads of America-- Old Rt 66 and HWY 71. Joplin's Rt 66 Speedway (dirt race track for superstock racing) is where Disney animators met the fellow they patterned Mater's character after in Cars.
Any way-- secretive land buyers just met with the Newton County Missouri commissioners, in an attempt to make a deal for a TON of land just south of Joplin, in a little community called Reddings Mill-- its right ON Old 66--The article said the "unnamed" company wanting to build a park is planning for 1200 full time jobs, 6,000 seasonal jobs, numerous hotels, and parking for 9,000 cars. That's a whole lot bigger than anything we have dowm in Branson.
Here's a part of the article-- 'Robert Brown, listed as one of three principals with ARM Risk, according to papers filed March 16 with the Missouri secretary of state, said when contacted by phone Wednesday: “Our main job is land acquisition. ARM was put together for this land-acquisition deal, and it has no other purpose.”'

"Brown said the proposed park initially would have 95 shops, 27 rides, 12 stages, and 18 restaurants and eateries. The proposal would include 1,000 acres of land, with the first phase to be completed in two years on 100 acres of that land. The proximity of two U.S. highways is a factor in the site selection, Brown said."

The addresses the man gave commissioners (to send correspondence to ) both checked out to be Disney addresses.

I think the 'Crossroads of America" is just the perfect place for another Disney Park-- especially with a new CARS attraction!

Check out this article in today's Joplin Globe Newspaper and see what you think.
www.joplinglobe.com/archivesearch/local_story_109000418.html

mcfly530

as convincing as it sounds, i just can't believe Disney would invest in another US park so similar to Disney world, in relatively close proximity to Florida. At this point that land purchase could be pretty much anything and this rumor is nothing more than speculation. Not to be too pessimistic, but I'll believe it when i see it.

pwhets

Original Poster
Me too! I'm wondering if the whole "Disney's America" thing isn't really dead-- the Midwest would be a great spot!

Scar Junior

:rolleyes: Are you serious? This is garbage.

While the Midwest would be a great spot (subjective) for one of the rumored mini-parks... they just wouldn't pick a town in MO. Chances are better for something like Chicago or a place where people actually go. Sorry to rain on the parade.

chaggy102

How many times can we hear these rumors...there won't be another US Park for about 10 years...it isn't going to Texas, it isn't going to Missouri...and it's not going to Albany or Canada...can we just start a rumor now that the next park will be up next to ESPN in Bristol, CT?

ThumperDude

I wouldn't put this rumor to rest to quickly. Years ago, (maybe 15 or 20), Disney considered a park for northeast Oklahoma. They even started buying up land. (northeast OK is a huge recreational area). They stated they wanted a park in the middle of the country.
Now, northeast OK is only about 50 miles from the Joplin/Branson area. So I not suprised about this rumor. I guess this idea has always been in the back of the minds of Disney.
This time they might be more serious, or they might again wait another few years. Who knows. All I'm saying is, don't discount this rumor just yet.

L Fisher

I think it would be nice for us folks that live in the midwest to have something new. People would make effort to go to the park because they're curious to see what it's like..Of course I still wouldn't stop going to WDW. However just because it's in the midwest where there's no action, just think about all the swamp land that was bought in Orlando and really nothing was down there and there wasn't very many major highways yet and look at it now..The little dinky town in MO would grow...However it's not a for sure fact if Disney will be building a new park but here's to wishing..

goofntink

Missouri,Joplin, Branson? Try a Dollywood,or Hard Rock themepark bud.12 stages would be for live shows.What part of NO new theme park in the U.S. do people not get?:brick:

davidpw97

I agree with most eveyrone else, I just don't see Disney building another park right now.
But maybe a new Bush Gardens park. They have Bush Gardens Europe and Bush Gardens Africa, maybe Bush Gardens America now.

Or maybe someone heard about the new Charles Dickens theme park being built in the UK and they are going to build a Mark Twain theme park to compete. There must be dozens of Americans who would other wise go to England to see their favorite Dickens characters come to life, but might now stay here to see Tom and Huck. :rolleyes:

Maybe they chose Missouri because Walt Disney had so many fond memories of Marceline. It does seem like an out-of-the-way place, but then again, not many people were travelling to the groves of Central Florida before Disney bought all that land. WDW definitely made a difference in that case. Who knows, it could do the same thing this time around.

WDWFREAK53

:rolleyes: Are you serious? This is garbage.

While the Midwest would be a great spot (subjective) for one of the rumored mini-parks... they just wouldn't pick a town in MO. Chances are better for something like Chicago or a place where people actually go. Sorry to rain on the parade.

Um...not that I think this is ever happening...

But...prior to Walt Disney World...how many people visited Orlando? It wasn't a "hoppin' tourist hotspot." It was a lot of space that happened to fall in a good spot with the major highways...but it wasn't what it is today.

SJFPKT

Well it would kinda make sense to put a park in that location due to the population around the area..you are less than a 12 hours drive from Denver CO Houston, TX Dallas, TX Nashville, TN Indianapolis, IN Chicago, IL St. Louis, MO Kansas City, MO Lincoln, NE Oklahome City, OK Minneapolis, MN Pittsburg, PA Columbus, OH Birmingham, AL Atlanta, GA. With alot of these being less than an 8 hour drive. That being said I doubt they would build a park there but if they did they would have a huge population base to pull from

EDIT An on a side note if they aren't planning on building a new park in the U.S. for 10 years, giving the rising rate of property, why not go ahead and scoop up the land and let it sit you really aren't losing money any time you buy real estate

bhg469

Um...not that I think this is ever happening...

But...prior to Walt Disney World...how many people visited Orlando? It wasn't a "hoppin' tourist hotspot." It was a lot of space that happened to fall in a good spot with the major highways...but it wasn't what it is today.

How often people forget that. Its not even like Orlando is even a great spot for a theme park either. Look how much works has to be done to a location to make it suitable to build on!

I don't think Disney will EVER build another park ANYWHERE in the US outside of Anaheim and Orlando. WDW was Walt's "world" vision of endless possibilites in regards to theme parks, their expansion, etc. WDW remains THE most visited resort on earth, and for a reason....I think most people would rather visit ONE destination to see everything Disney than have to fly all around the country to see the various parks. And Missouri? No offense to any "Missorians"...but come on, at least Orlando was apart still apart "The Sunshine State" prior to WDW....a major factor on why Walt chose Florida. It's about the good weather and climate man! I don't think Disney would EVER build a destination where harsh winter conditions could interfere with their operations!

Lee

Adventurer
I don't think Disney will EVER build another park ANYWHERE in the US outside of Anaheim and Orlando.

Ding!Ding!Ding!
THE WINNAH!
:D

No parks will be built outside WDW or DL in the US. Ever.
Possibility of one of the small, site-based, attractions....but not a park. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom