News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

draybook

Guests taking the monorail from the TTC to Epcot won't have to be re-screened at Epcot???

bUU

I get that people are thrilled with the return of the old plaza, but were the monoliths really THAT offensive to folks when they walked in?
No. Some people just generally overreact to change, and irrationally expect everything to always been substantially better than everything else that they've ever experienced (in this case, to the Walk Around the World, which was remarkably wonderful). Backseat driving is a favored pastime, and especially for things, like art, where people can more readily claim that they are an expert.

Goofyernmost

I am an old person that has been going to EPCOT since EPCOT was an infant. I loved the original total park and the entrance as well. There's a train of thought that says the first impressions are the cornerstone of any situation. Sometimes first impressions are wrong and what follows will change ones impression.

When the monoliths were put in place was about the time that the entire mission statement of EPCOT changed to Epcot. It kept some of the old but it was not anywhere near the same as the original (except world showcase). I remember walking into Epcot and seeing the "new" entrance for the first time and my very first unprompted thought was "why did they put a graveyard in what was once a dynamically beautiful entrance. When I first saw the original entrance my first impression was "Wow". See the difference?

Now that could have been because of my being used to and loving the original, but really with the monoliths I started out depressed. My first impression of the new was anything but positive. Maybe others that hadn't seen the original were not struck that way. That said, however, when the new one is completed I think everyone will see the difference and understand why so many of us hated the gravestones.

Last edited:

Marsha Mallow

I am an old person that has been going to EPCOT since it was an infant. I loved the original total park and the entrance as well. There's a train of thought that says the first impressions are the cornerstone of any situation. Sometimes first impressions are wrong and what follows will change ones impression.

When the monoliths were put in place was about the time that the entire mission statement of EPCOT changed to Epcot. It kept some of the old but it was not anywhere near the same as the original (except world showcase). I remember walking into Epcot and seeing the "new" entrance for the first time and my very first unprompted thought was "why did they put a graveyard in what was once a dynamically beautiful entrance. When I first saw the original entrance my first impression was "Wow". See the difference?

Now that could have been because of my being used to and loving the original, but really with the monoliths I started out depressed. My first impression of the new was anything but positive. Maybe others that hadn't seen the original were not struck that way. That said, however, when the new one is completed I think everyone will see the difference and understand why so many of us hated the gravestones.
Yes I am one who never saw the old entrance and am really looking forward to seeing the new throwback entrance when it's finished. My first visit to Epcot was in 2017 and the experience I remember was being awestruck by the sphere and then enjoying the F&W signage and looking at all of that with my young kids. We must have walked by "the monoliths" but honestly I don't remember them at all. Sadly I may have to wait a while to experience the new entrance as we will soon have our fourth trip in five years and then we may have to take a break! My kids are in adult pricing now and it's much harder to do!!

seascape

I am an old person that has been going to EPCOT since it was an infant. I loved the original total park and the entrance as well. There's a train of thought that says the first impressions are the cornerstone of any situation. Sometimes first impressions are wrong and what follows will change ones impression.

I agree with your view that the gravestones were a bad idea. However, my wife and I purchased one back in January 2006, our first trip together as newlyweds. We visited it each time we went, 4 or 5 times a year and we missed it on out last visit in April as they were torn down. We are looking forward to the new location and hope Disney keeps them up for many more years in there new location. In fact we wish Disney we would sell some new ones to make sure they are kept for another 25 years or more. That said I am in 100% agreement that they ruined the entrance to Epcot just like the hat ruined DHS.

Goofyernmost

I agree with your view that the gravestones were a bad idea. However, my wife and I purchased one back in January 2006, our first trip together as newlyweds. We visited it each time we went, 4 or 5 times a year and we missed it on out last visit in April as they were torn down. We are looking forward to the new location and hope Disney keeps them up for many more years in there new location. In fact we wish Disney we would sell some new ones to make sure they are kept for another 25 years or more. That said I am in 100% agreement that they ruined the entrance to Epcot just like the hat ruined DHS.
For the benefit of those like yourselves, I am pleased that they are going to continue displaying the pictures, possibly even enhanced a little. I am aware that, especially in your particular case, it creates a lot of happy memories. However, there were only a few thousand people that purchased them and when you compare that number to the number of people that enter the park every single day, it really is better to move them and beautify the entire location for the benefit of all. I don't have one of those, but, I am curious as to where they are going to put them. Hopefully, in a good spot where they will be displayed with respect and class.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom