News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

tparris

I didn’t see many other new signs, but some of the old signs are covered up at the moment.
D741879B-8ACC-444F-89A0-7F3B14AB94BA.jpeg
8682BD74-5F02-4D9C-B396-2589CC13414B.jpeg
94D10D2C-6052-4235-BC99-70EB0568761A.jpeg
8F300D3A-DBBA-4558-8E66-292E8F69BBCF.jpeg
FC406669-6E9B-46B0-B6B6-3FFEF5FAAC9A.jpeg
3FF0DDEF-5C80-4C85-B43F-429CA7904A72.jpeg

Timothy_Q

I don’t really get the change in font. It’s like a slight font change just for the sake of change. The original Prototype font has always seemed futuristic.
The original font feels very outdated today

New font still looks 80s and EPCOT-esque while also working in a contemporary environment.

Very small updates to the type that make it feel fresh.
Same reason brands update their logos every so often

Last edited:

surfsupdon

What’s the finished product going to look like? Do we have an overhead view with current and planned changes?

Were there any rumours in changing the bus depot to longer and linear, or keep it in its L shaped. Also, think they will eliminate the long- empty ticket booths and guest relation windows out in the bus terminals??

Epcot82Guy

I do agree it's not necessary. But it feels very much like an updated, fresher version of the same. If they were doing that idea across all parts of the park's updates, I'd be a very happy, excited camper. 😆

Ponderer

I don’t really get the change in font. It’s like a slight font change just for the sake of change. The original Prototype font has always seemed futuristic.

It says "this is what we think the future looks like in 1982." It is NOT a timeless font. It's fun but irrevocably tied to its time period, like Cooper is latched to the 60s and 70s. This font maintains the futurism, but is more approachable and scans better - just a touch of Avenir added to Prototype to nicely humanize it a little more.

hpyhnt 1000

I didn’t see many other new signs, but some of the old signs are covered up at the moment.View attachment 450678View attachment 450681View attachment 450682View attachment 450679View attachment 450683

Biggest plus for the new signage? SYMBOLS. Even if you don’t speak a word of English, you can look at the symbols and work out what is in each direction. I feel Disney (and many spots in the US in general) does a poor job including symbols on the majority of its general directional signs, especially considering the number of international visitors. It’s nice to see the designers of these signs include them.

It’s a small thing most people probably don’t notice, but I feel it goes a long way toward making them “feel” professional and cohesive.

Josh Hendy

I sense lingering confusion in Disney management over the Big Picture of Epcot's theme and branding. We're all about IP synergy through rides and souvenir sales now ... or else shouldn't these tram stops be "Groot", "Moana" etc.

According to the "Epcot is dead, get over it" viewpoint.

8F300D3A-DBBA-4558-8E66-292E8F69BBCF.jpeg.jpg

Goofyernmost

I wish I could remember the name of that font, but I can tell you that it existed in the 1980's. I was in publishing during that time and I remember using it back then. Futuristic I guess, but it was a clean, easy to read typeface that made great headline's especially in bold. I'm not sure how something that existed 40 years ago can still be futuristic though. Must be the person that designed it was way, way ahead of his/her time. It's design is very easy to read, sharp, straight edges that almost give it a 3D look.

JayKZ

I wish I could remember the name of that font, but I can tell you that it existed in the 1980's. I was in publishing during that time and I remember using it back then. Futuristic I guess, but it was a clean, easy to read typeface that made great headline's especially in bold. I'm not sure how something that existed 40 years ago can still be futuristic though. Must be the person that designed it was way, way ahead of his/her time. It's design is very easy to read, sharp, straight edges that almost give it a 3D look.
Presumably they have created the new version of the typeface with modern font design tools that allow for consistent rendering and proper scaling over a wide range of sizes, using a wide variety of output devices.

FigmentForver96

I sense lingering confusion in Disney management over the Big Picture of Epcot's theme and branding. We're all about IP synergy through rides and souvenir sales now ... or else shouldn't these tram stops be "Groot", "Moana" etc.

According to the "Epcot is dead, get over it" viewpoint.

View attachment 451110
Me and a friend were discussing this the other day walking to our car from the EPCOT entrance. I personally would rather them keep the current names but my guess of new names will be

Nemo
Sven (Olaf is at Hollywood Studios)
Groot
Joy
Remy
And maybe Figment cause what the heck why not

Goofyernmost

Presumably they have created the new version of the typeface with modern font design tools that allow for consistent rendering and proper scaling over a wide range of sizes, using a wide variety of output devices.
Yup, and I'm sure it is called a graphic arts program on a computer. We could do all those thing in the late 70's and early 80's except the machines were bigger and primarily used as typesetting for offset printing. Since it was a photo image from beginning to end, it also had an absolute consistency. We had a range of type size from 8pt to 72pt and anything larger was just made bigger by using an enlarging camera. One extra step, but it did the same thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom