News New Parade: Magic Happens

Phroobar

Funny story about Merlin but I'm sure no one wants to hear about the deep dive into Doctor Who canon in a thread about Disneyland's new parade.
I want to hear it! Who really cares about a stupid new parade anyway. They are all exactly the same anyway. Princess float, Pixar floats, Little Mermaid/BatB/Aladdin/Frozen/Tangled floats, token other movie float and fab five float.

mickeyfan5534

I want to hear it! Who really cares about a stupid new parade anyway. They are all exactly the same anyway. Princess float, Pixar floats, Little Mermaid/BatB/Aladdin/Frozen/Tangled floats, token other movie float and fab five float.
Okay, I guess... Merlin is the Doctor in a future regeneration who has hopped dimensions as part of some scheme or another. And is apparently ginger.
Doctor Who is wild folks.

Phroobar

Actually, the sword is the stone or anvil.
giphy.gif

mickeyfan5534

As long as he stops being a girl then we are good.

BBC, nice way to kill a franchise.
Jodie Whitaker is the 6th Doctor of the revival. A great choice for the Doctor and an interpretation that is interesting and has a wide-open door for cool character study stuck with mostly poor or underwhelming scripts (Demons of the Punjab, The Witchfinders, and It Takes You Away notwithstanding) and too many companions. You can take this opinion from my cold, dead hands.

Phroobar

Jodie Whitaker is the 6th Doctor of the revival. A great choice for the Doctor and an interpretation that is interesting and has a wide-open door for cool character study stuck with mostly poor or underwhelming scripts (Demons of the Punjab, The Witchfinders, and It Takes You Away notwithstanding) and too many companions. You can take this opinion from my cold, dead hands.
It's hard to tell via the stories on the internet. Technically the show was cancelled due to low ratings and poor writing. It is said it will come back retooled for 2020. I can't find a recent confirmation that Whitaker will be back but she probably will. She needs completely different companions except maybe the old man. Hopefully they find better writers.

TP2000

Set to a catchy song reflecting the hot hits of today.
With crowd control CM's bellowing "STAY TO YOUR RIGHT PLEAAASE!" in your ear every 20 seconds.

It's magical!

brb1006

Meanwhile, Tokyo Disneyland's parades (especially in recent years) blend in some of Disney's newer characters while not forgetting about the older ones of the past (The Aristocats and Silly Symphony characters for example). Instead of just mainly focusing on Disney films from The Renaissance Era since the early 2000s (with a sprinkle of Disney's classic films between 1937 till 1966).

100 Years Of Magic Parade (2001) (A Silly Symphony section)

Disney Dreams On Parade Moving On

Jubilation Parade (Gives some love to Winnie The Pooh)

Happiness Is Here (features The Aristocats)

While I do enjoy seeing Aladdin, BatB, and Little Mermaid, it's starting to become very predictable for WDW and DL in recent years. It's why I'm actually excited on learning that they are finally giving some love for "The Sword In The Stone" by giving it their own dedicated float. Paris has been giving some love to that film by at least shining more spotlight on Merlin for their previous parades and shows. I just wish some of Disney's older films (especially from the mid to late 1940's, and early to late 1970's) gotten more love at WDW and DL like Tokyo Disneyland does.

Last edited:

VJ

Meanwhile, Tokyo Disneyland's parades (especially in recent years) blend in some of Disney's newer characters while not forgetting about the older ones of the past (The Aristocats and Silly Symphony characters for example). Instead of just mainly focusing on Disney films from The Renaissance Era since the early 2000s (with a sprinkle of Disney's classic films between 1937 till 1966).

100 Years Of Magic Parade (2001) (A Silly Symphony section)

Disney Dreams On Parade Moving On

Jubilation Parade (Gives some love to Winnie The Pooh)

Happiness Is Here (features The Aristocats)

While I do enjoy seeing Aladdin, BatB, and Little Mermaid, it's starting to become very predictable for WDW and DL in recent years. It's why I'm actually excited on learning that they are finally giving some love for "The Sword In The Stone" by giving it their own dedicated float. Paris has been giving some love to that film by at least shining more spotlight on Merlin for their previous parades and shows. I just wish some of Disney's older films (especially from the mid to late 1940's, and early to late 1970's) gotten more love at WDW and DL like Tokyo Disneyland does.

Sir, this is the Disneyland subforum.

;)

brb1006

Sir, this is the Disneyland subforum.

;)
I'm aware, just wish Disneyland and WDW could at least shine some spotlight on their lesser-known films of the past instead of just focusing only on the Renaissance Era (Especially The Little Mermaid and Aladdin) and some of their newer films. As a result, the parades became predictable when it comes to which film or characters will show up. It's a different story at some of the overseas parks which gives some love to Disney's lesser-known and obscure films and characters. So I decided to use Tokyo as an example of a perfect blend between older and new instead of just only being about Disney's success of the late 80's (1989) and 1990's and their recent hits.

But seriously, the news of a float for "The Sword In The Stone" caught most of us off guard. Plus we have yet to see concept art, and getting a first look at King Arthur's park appearance. If anything, I'm surprised they hadn't given any love to Bambi at this point (considering Thumper returned to the parks along with Miss Bunny. Sadly Flower hasn't returned).

Last edited:

SirWillow

It's hard to tell via the stories on the internet. Technically the show was cancelled due to low ratings and poor writing. It is said it will come back retooled for 2020. I can't find a recent confirmation that Whitaker will be back but she probably will. She needs completely different companions except maybe the old man. Hopefully they find better writers.

Not canceled at all. BBC tends to do shorter "seasons" and longer times between seasons. That and the show runners seem to like even longer breaks. So 11-12 months between seasons of Who isn't unusual. Better than the 18 month break they had at one point a few seasons back. Haven't heard of any expected changes, but hope to see an improvement in the writing- especially when it comes to the companions. Improve them and it can't help but improve the Doctor. But then Capaldi was seriously hindered by bad scripts and writing almost all the way through his tenure.

Now to get it on topic- how many Disney characters besides Merllin might actually be versions of the Doctor working in the Disney universe and that you could spot in a parade?

I'd vote on the Mad Hatter. :p

Darkbeer1

>>The new Mickey’s Happy Holidays character celebration will debut Friday, Nov. 8 during the Festival of Holidays at Disney California Adventure and run through Jan. 6.

Mickey’s Happy Holidays will feature appearances twice a day by Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Chip n’ Dale, Clarabelle the Cow, the Country Bears and select Pixar characters in holiday attire. The characters will dance to music by the Holiday Toy Drummers in Paradise Gardens Park and Carthay Circle.<<

I wouldn't call it a parade, more like a moving show. Walk to performance area one, do about a 15 minute show, move to area two, repeat the show, walk off stage....

Phroobar

Not canceled at all. BBC tends to do shorter "seasons" and longer times between seasons. That and the show runners seem to like even longer breaks. So 11-12 months between seasons of Who isn't unusual. Better than the 18 month break they had at one point a few seasons back. Haven't heard of any expected changes, but hope to see an improvement in the writing- especially when it comes to the companions. Improve them and it can't help but improve the Doctor. But then Capaldi was seriously hindered by bad scripts and writing almost all the way through his tenure.

Now to get it on topic- how many Disney characters besides Merllin might actually be versions of the Doctor working in the Disney universe and that you could spot in a parade?

I'd vote on the Mad Hatter. :p
The Genie is one. His lamp is a TARDIS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom