News New Parade: Magic Happens

Californian Elitist

We managed to see it once in its brief pre pandemic run and I still can’t decide if I liked it or not, it felt like hunger games collided with Disney and that threw me a bit, I think without the shock of how different it is (after another viewing or two) it’ll grow on me though.

It’s bright and colorful and upbeat but also very different from any other Disney parade I’ve seen.

In a lot of ways it reminds me of Mickeys Mix Magic fireworks, upbeat and made for the younger generations, only much better.
That’s the feel I got after listening to the soundtrack. From the music alone, I can tell that this parade is mostly likely unlike any other Disney daytime parade I’ve ever seen, which can be a good or bad thing (I’m sensing good, so far). I’ll have to see it in person for full judgement, but it’s got me interested.

Emmanuel

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Magic Happens is just as long as Soundsational was

Never really watched soundsational all the way through, so can't comment much there. Just remember a couple people commenting how short this parade was. I guess its more noticible here for some reason? Dunno.

Heres the float count from both parades

Soundsational:

1.) Mickey Drum unit

2.) Aladdin unit

3.) Little Mermaid unit

4.) The Three Caballeros unit

5.) Princess unit

6.) Lion King Unit

7.) Princess and the Frog unit

8.) Peter Pan unit

9.) Mary poppins finale unit

Magic Happens:

1.) Dreamers Unit

2.) Moana Unit

3.) Coco Unit

4.) Frozen 2 Unit

5.) Finale Unit

Squishy

Soundsational:

1.) Mickey Drum unit

2.) Aladdin unit

3.) Little Mermaid unit

5.) Princess unit

6.) Lion King Unit

8.) Peter Pan unit

Magic Happens:

1.) Dreamers Unit

2.) Moana Unit

3.) Coco Unit

4.) Frozen 2 Unit

5.) Finale Unit
If you're counting the drum units, you might as well count the Maui and 3 finale units aswell, both have 9 floats.

RescueTheDay

Soundsational:

1.) Mickey Drum unit

2.) Aladdin unit

3.) Little Mermaid unit

5.) Princess unit

6.) Lion King Unit

8.) Peter Pan unit

Magic Happens:

1.) Dreamers Unit

2.) Moana Unit

3.) Coco Unit

4.) Frozen 2 Unit

5.) Finale Unit

If you're counting the drum units, you might as well count the Maui and 3 finale units aswell, both have 9 floats.
Looks like what I thought, both technically have 9 floats. Even trade.

TwilightZone

Never really watched soundsational all the way through, so can't comment much there. Just remember a couple people commenting how short this parade was. I guess its more noticible here for some reason? Dunno.
Decided to fix that, watched footage from 2012 and 2019 for a fuller experience I suppose. I'm not a big fan of the drum theme overall, feels kinda boring to me, dunno why. Though I am the type that thinks the peak of Disney parades is Parade of Dreams, which doesn't really have a unifying theme...besides "dreams" I suppose. There are a lot of cute and cool floats though, I specifically really liked Tiana's boat and the Mary Poppins float.

I think I prefer "Magic Happens" overall though, it has some super impressive floats!

TwilightZone

I do think though, after watching, "Magic Happens" does need an update. It is a very "2019" parade. A few more classic character floats in the mix and maybe a redesign for the "Frozen" float could remedy this. And redesign the drag-esque performers at the front. 80's nostalgia is so 2010!

I would personally give some love to some 90s characters that haven't been represented recently: Mulan, Hercules, Hunchback if you want to go really bold. Plus some 00s rep for the zoomers and zillenials that are now old enough to talk online about their childhood movies.

CaptinEO

That’s the feel I got after listening to the soundtrack. From the music alone, I can tell that this parade is mostly likely unlike any other Disney daytime parade I’ve ever seen, which can be a good or bad thing (I’m sensing good, so far). I’ll have to see it in person for full judgement, but it’s got me interested.
I'm glad. The parades and spectacular music has been stuck in corny high school showtune mode for over a decade now. You always get songs like Step Into The Magic, World of Color, and Happily Ever After that just seem to syrupy sweet.

Glad to see a change.

Haven't seen Magic Happens yet as I don't watch spoiler videos and didn't catch the initial run (although I wish I did, I was in the parks March 7 2020), but will have to check it out one day.

Emmanuel

very curious to hear how they tiptoe around zip a dee doo dah in the finale 👀

Its very minor in the song. I don't think itd be hard to remove it and put in another line from another song.
I do think though, after watching, "Magic Happens" does need an update. It is a very "2019" parade. A few more classic character floats in the mix and maybe a redesign for the "Frozen" float could remedy this. And redesign the drag-esque performers at the front. 80's nostalgia is so 2010!

I would personally give some love to some 90s characters that haven't been represented recently: Mulan, Hercules, Hunchback if you want to go really bold. Plus some 00s rep for the zoomers and zillenials that are now old enough to talk online about their childhood movies.

We'll likely not see an update for at least a year or two given the parade was still very brand new when the parks closed. But having Sword in the Stone in the parade means that Disney is definitely open to allowing some of the movies that aren't really used in parades a chance to shine and that could be reflected on a new addition in the future

Californian Elitist

I'm glad. The parades and spectacular music has been stuck in corny high school showtune mode for over a decade now. You always get songs like Step Into The Magic, World of Color, and Happily Ever After that just seem to syrupy sweet.

Glad to see a change.

Haven't seen Magic Happens yet as I don't watch spoiler videos and didn't catch the initial run (although I wish I did, I was in the parks March 7 2020), but will have to check it out one day.
Sweet and overly corny. Maybe they hire the same folks to inject the parades with corny tunes. Time to start looking elsewhere.

mickEblu

I just saw a video of Magic Happens for the first time and I think the soundtrack is great! Especially like the song/ arrangement from after the Frozen 2 float through the end of the parade.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Performance times for the return of Magic Happens on February 24th have been released - 3:30pm and 6:30pm.

Screen Shot 2023-01-13 at 1.24.02 PM.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom