New Pandora Lands?

AEfx

Those waits are all well and good, but if it's not resulting in increased overall attendance (not just in that park) and guests are unsatisfied because of the long waits then it's absolutely conceivable that the land hasn't helped... yet. What it does do, is provide new offerings in DAK for when DHS expands in the coming years and the new additions in MK and Epcot come on line.

Exactly. Disney didn't dump over a billion dollars into a land just to spread existing guests around a bit more. They could have built almost literally anything at DAK and people would have waited in line for it, particularly since the Studios are in such dire straits right now.

cjkeating

A couple of completely unscientific observations from my recent trip...
Animal Kingdom felt like the second busiest park after Magic Kingdom when you compare the size/layout. DHS felt busy but the park has the footprint of a stamp, Epcot was quiet. Each night at AK it also had two full showing of Rivers of Light so that's at least 10,000 people staying until after dark when the park used to be closed.
Navi River Journey was consistently loading 4 in each row (two pairs of two when necessary) and dispatching the boats very quickly, due to the layout I didn't spend enough time in the loading area to have the chance to time dispatch rates - does anyone have a figure?

twebber55

A couple of completely unscientific observations from my recent trip...
Animal Kingdom felt like the second busiest park after Magic Kingdom when you compare the size/layout. DHS felt busy but the park has the footprint of a stamp, Epcot was quiet. Each night at AK it also had two full showing of Rivers of Light so that's at least 10,000 people staying until after dark when the park used to be closed.
Navi River Journey was consistently loading 4 in each row (two pairs of two when necessary) and dispatching the boats very quickly, due to the layout I didn't spend enough time in the loading area to have the chance to time dispatch rates - does anyone have a figure?[/QUOTE
that jives what ive heard for a while

that jives with what ive heard for a while

BrianLo

Under capacity? Yes, but it's also in clear demand and doing very well. It did not however really grow the WDW market, it grew AK via more of a shift from DHS and Epcot. Let's be realistic though - Star Wars will grow the WDW market, Pandora will do its job and continue to make AK a viable park option along with MK while the struggling two get their IP on.

I think this merger solidifies phase 2 inevitably.

It also raises the likelihood of this being shopped out to China and Paris. The only problem is Pandora is third fiddle to Star Wars and Marvel in terms of prioritization overseas.

the.dreamfinder

Under capacity? Yes, but it's also in clear demand and doing very well. It did not however really grow the WDW market, it grew AK via more of a shift from DHS and Epcot. Let's be realistic though - Star Wars will grow the WDW market, Pandora will do its job and continue to make AK a viable park option along with MK while the struggling two get their IP on.

It also raises the likelihood of this being shopped out to China and Paris. The only problem is Pandora is third fiddle to Star Wars and Marvel in terms of prioritization overseas.
FWIW, income inequality in the United States is killing WDW & DL’s long term organic growth. It's a real shame because so many kids, Disney's most impressionable audience, won’t get to ever go.

That’s my way of saying, the parks would be that much more popular if more people could afford to go.

Last edited:

Cameron1529

Those waits are all well and good, but if it's not resulting in increased overall attendance (not just in that park) and guests are unsatisfied because of the long waits then it's absolutely conceivable that the land hasn't helped... yet. What it does do, is provide new offerings in DAK for when DHS expands in the coming years and the new additions in MK and Epcot come on line.

I don't necessarily think saying the land hasn't helped due to it not increasing overall attendance and causing dissatisfaction due to long wait times, is correct. The land brought a much needed face lift to the AK, however as most things are it is up for debate depending on personal opinions.

britain

Not in China.

RSoxNo1

I don't necessarily think saying the land hasn't helped due to it not increasing overall attendance and causing dissatisfaction due to long wait times, is correct. The land brought a much needed face lift to the AK, however as most things are it is up for debate depending on personal opinions.
@lentesta can probably put more scientific info out there, but as far as I know it hasn't increased overall resort attendance. That's what I meant.

twebber55

@lentesta can probably put more scientific info out there, but as far as I know it hasn't increased overall resort attendance. That's what I meant.
you could easily make an argument it stabilized attendance from the down fall it was going you could also say it saved attendance because the lack of international travelers coming to WDW due to the current political climate

there are lots of reasons that factor into attendance
heck the last quarter the overall domestic attendance went up 8% i believe

Hot take: DAK will pass EPCOT this year

Last edited:

EricsBiscuit

Original Poster
FWIW, income inequality in the United States is killing WDW & DL’s long term organic growth. It's a real shame because so many kids, Disney's most impressionable audience, won’t get to ever go.

That’s my way of saying, the parks would be that much more popular if more people could afford to go.
Wealth inequality means nothing if everyone makes more money. On the flip side Disney is also raises prices every year in an attempt to control crowds.

the.dreamfinder

Wealth inequality means nothing if everyone makes more money. On the flip side Disney is also raises prices every year in an attempt to control crowds.
Upside down face emoji
Uhhh, so having an ever decreasing share of the US population who can afford a Disney World vacation, its core market, is a good thing? A Disney World vacation is a consumer product and if the market for that product shirks and or stays flat, which is another kind of decline given our nation’s growing population, in GOOD economic times, there’s a massive problem. The price increases are designed to increase short term revenues from a shrinking consumer base, but then in turn prompts a viscous cycle of stagnation and net decline.

Have you considered that the park’s crowding problem comes from inefficient attraction design (i.e. New Es with THRCs well below Pirates/Mansion or failing to expand net park capacity for things like SW:GE at DHS) and FP+ placing more guests out of queues and onto the thoroughfares? Or the role Annual Passholder blackouts play in overcrowding?

Perhaps it’s just too hard to imagine, but a US economy with far more equitable income distribution would yield a much larger consumer base for WDW and DL vacations. Under such a scenario, Burbank would HAVE to build fifth and third gates and affordable lodging so that organic growth could continue unabated. And with every net gain of a family going on a Disney vacation, generations of young guests, who will one day pay to bring their families, ensure a solid future for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts for decades to come.

sedati

What if you actually bought a dated ticket and there was a cap for how many of those tickets were sold for each day? This is how most things work such as theater, sports, flights, etc.

No Name

What if you actually bought a dated ticket and there was a cap for how many of those tickets were sold for each day? This is how most things work such as theater, sports, flights, etc.
And how Shanghai Disneyland works, and Tokyo too, I'm fairly certain.

sedati

And how Shanghai Disneyland works, and Tokyo too, I'm fairly certain.

Is it? I didn't know that.

One thing that I heard Tokyo does that I don't think is such a bad idea is for your multi-day tickets, you get a full day only at Disneyland, then a full day only at DisneySea. It is only on your additional days that you can park hop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom