New Pandora Lands?

No Name

First movie made 2 Billion and there is no reason to doubt Cameron won't deliver with his sequels like he did with ALIENS and T2.

Pretty sure Avatar Land is doing phenomenal so far. I've already seen talk of a Phase 2 Expansion and the Fox acquisition makes that extremely likely.

I don't want to have this discussion for the umpteenth time. When they originally signed the deal, they had planned lands for three other resorts. All those plans were scrapped. Box office only means so much. Avatar made 2.7 billion dollars and fell off the radar shortly after. The land hasn't met their most recent attendance expectations, much less their expectations in 2011, so I wouldn't use the word "phenomenal."

I agree it's a great and well-fitting land and all, but that can be done without paying licensing fees. The Avatar deal hasn't proven so fruitful.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
First movie made 2 Billion and there is no reason to doubt Cameron won't deliver with his sequels like he did with ALIENS and T2.

Pretty sure Avatar Land is doing phenomenal so far. I've already seen talk of a Phase 2 Expansion and the Fox acquisition makes that extremely likely.
Phase two is primarily to cater for lack of capacity. Especially in the eating part.

Last edited:

twebber55

I don't want to have this discussion for the umpteenth time. When they originally signed the deal, they had planned lands for three other resorts. All those plans were scrapped. Box office only means so much. Avatar made 2.7 billion dollars and fell off the radar shortly after. The land hasn't met their most recent attendance expectations, much less their expectations in 2011, so I wouldn't use the word "phenomenal."

I agree it's a great and well-fitting land and all, but that can be done without paying licensing fees. The Avatar deal hasn't proven so fruitful.
how do you know it didnt meet expectations?

Cameron1529

how do you know it didnt meet expectations?

I would assume figures may have been released by Disney or insiders may have gotten estimated figures. However I think when you are six months or so into a land opening and consistently have 2,3,4 hour waits for the attractions it had to have met expectations some what.

yensidtlaw1969

I would assume figures may have been released by Disney or insiders may have gotten estimated figures. However I think when you are six months or so into a land opening and consistently have 2,3,4 hour waits for the attractions it had to have met expectations some what.
Generally speaking, long waits can indicate a woeful lack of capacity as much as they indicate popularity.

Flight of Passage in particular seems to have capacity issues that aren’t likely to equalize so easily over time the way some attractions do. Not without help, at least.

twebber55

Generally speaking, long waits can indicate a woeful lack of capacity as much as they indicate popularity.

Flight of Passage in particular seems to have capacity issues that aren’t likely to equalize so easily over time the way some attractions do. Not without help, at least.
agreed but you still cant get a FP at 60 days which has nothing to do with capacity and they ve already raised the prices on several food, bev and merch items

twebber55

ive been told that there have have been several days over the last 6 months where the figures was 10 to 150000 more people per day than last year

Jones14

I know that FoP is underbuilt for an E-ticket, but something to keep in mind when looking at its lines is that the ride never has a complete breakdown a la Gringotts.

The line slows to a crawl and the standby line balloons, but there’s people getting on the ride all day, every day, no matter what, and a 350 minute wait is more indicative of a two-theatre breakdown than the ride failing to serve the needs of the park. That 350 minutes is horrid, but it’s better than walking up three different times in a day and finding the brand new ride closed for technical difficulties.

The nature of multi-track/theatre attractions is that something going wrong won’t wreck the whole operation, but because the machine is still operating, guests take the issues at face value since they’re unaware of why their line just stopped moving.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The nature of multi-track/theatre attractions is that something going wrong won’t wreck the whole operation, but because the machine is still operating, guests take the issues at face value since they’re unaware of why their line just stopped moving.
On the contrary, having all your lands capacity in one building (4 theatres and a boat ride) means an issue with any one often brings the other four down with it. As has been seen with the FoP overheating issues.

Jones14

On the contrary, having all your lands capacity in one building (4 theatres and a boat ride) means an issue with any one often brings the other four down with it. As has been seen with the FoP overheating issues.
Agreed on that front. I don’t really see a way around having all of the FoP sims together, but since the boat ride isn’t visible from the queue/vice versa, there’s no reason to have them on top of each other.

twebber55

It has everything to do with capacity. Which if woefully low and has caused no end of headaches especially for GS.
i just want to make sure i understand what you are saying...
you are saying the only reason FOP FP is so hard to get and that the lines are long is solely based on capacity?

RSoxNo1

Those waits are all well and good, but if it's not resulting in increased overall attendance (not just in that park) and guests are unsatisfied because of the long waits then it's absolutely conceivable that the land hasn't helped... yet. What it does do, is provide new offerings in DAK for when DHS expands in the coming years and the new additions in MK and Epcot come on line.

RSoxNo1

agreed but you still cant get a FP at 60 days which has nothing to do with capacity and they ve already raised the prices on several food, bev and merch items
As a heads up, they are seemingly releasing Flight of Passage Fastpasses in phases. I was unable to get them 60 days out, but had no problem around 40 days out.

RSoxNo1

No, I’m saying more capacity would release more FP.

A new ride would obviously generate demand. But demand far outstrips the available supply.
Realistically, they need to build two new theaters for Flight of Passage, and if possible dispatch three boats at a time on Na'vi River Journey.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well, it's a good thing Pandora didn't generate a huge surge in overall attendance at WDW, because it wouldn't have been able to handle it!!

It is good that it's helping DAK be more popular amongst the WDW parks taking up DHS's slack.

(I got a single FoP FP at 11 AM for 2 PM!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom