New Pandora Lands?

EricsBiscuit

Original Poster

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I could see that in the back left corner of the park where the Frozen area was going to go. I think that would make for an easier transition.

That's where I was thinking, though on closer review, it appears that the pad there at TDS is about 1/2 the size of the space they used at DAK, so it couldn't be an exact clone. The only way it could happen would be to make some pretty significant cuts (maybe have two theaters instead of four for FOP and/or cut out River Journey completely? might need to lose Satu'li Canteen as well). If they wanted to build the land in full, a possible option would be to convert some of their parking into a garage and take over some of the parking lot just to the west of Raging Spirits.

RSoxNo1

That's where I was thinking, though on closer review, it appears that the pad there at TDS is about 1/2 the size of the space they used at DAK, so it couldn't be an exact clone. The only way it could happen would be to make some pretty significant cuts (maybe have two theaters instead of four for FOP and/or cut out River Journey completely? might need to lose Satu'li Canteen as well). If they wanted to build the land in full, a possible option would be to convert some of their parking into a garage and take over some of the parking lot just to the west of Raging Spirits.
Flight of Passage cannot operate in TDS with two theaters. With four theaters it's the lowest capacity E-ticket by a significant margin in Florida. Cutting that in half would be a disaster. In TDS there's a parking lot backed up against that expansion plot. If they wanted to put Pandora there they could eat into the parking lot in theory. Having said that, this seems highly unlikely and from a thematic standpoint a Scandinavian port makes more sense.

Last edited:

Robbiem

Avatarland could be part of a reworked studios park in Paris along with a Star Wars land that could go a long way to fix a terrible park. Likewise I could see it as part of a second gate for Hong Kong or shanghai but I'm not sure how popular the movie was in China

JBIRDTO

Will be interesting if this would be a full scale Pandora with mountain landscape or just scaled down landscape but with FOP headliner.

raymusiccity

Avatarland could be part of a reworked studios park in Paris along with a Star Wars land that could go a long way to fix a terrible park. Likewise I could see it as part of a second gate for Hong Kong or shanghai but I'm not sure how popular the movie was in China

I don't think the popularity of the movie has anything to do with it. Pandora is a beautifully rendered, stand alone land that seems enthralling to all first time visitors. All 6 of our grandchildren loved Pandora, despite never having seen the movie. :)

Jones14

So on another thread it was mentioned that the proposed locations for Pandora were AK, Disneyland (swallowing part of Tomorrowland), DisneySea, and WDSP.

Could you IMAGINE the backlash if Disneyland lost part of one of its original lands for Avatar? There’s enough fire and brimstone for Star Wars Land, and that’s an internationally beloved franchise going on an expansion pad.

RSoxNo1

he s been a hater from the get go
nothing they couldve done would ve been correct
certainly his opinion of course
I do think that with many intellectual properties there are appropriate ways to tie them to a park. In some cases it's because the park lacks cohesion, but that's not the case in the Animal Kingdom. They way that I look at intellectual property fits outside of logical areas is "does this work if the IP didn't exist". Pandora absolutely does. They used the movie as inspiration, but there's very little in the land lifted directly from the movies.

Hypothetically if Avatar didn't exist and Disney announced a partnership with James Cameron to create an alien land full of mythical flora, fauna and humanoid creatures at the very least we would be intrigued. That's exactly what they did. They didn't focus on Jake Sully or the conflict with the humans or Nayteri (spelling?) because the bond people had with Avatar wasn't with the characters.

Avatar is a movie that lends itself to a dimensional environment. Even though it was the highest grossing domestic film of all time, it's possible that a theme park land was a better medium for the concept.

I feel the same way about Tron. I thought Tron: Legacy was outright bad, but it absolutely lends itself to a cool experience/environment. On the contrary, Toy Story probably doesn't. Of those three movies/franchises, Toy Story is far and away my favorite.

If the alternative for the Animal Kingdom was a direct lift of Mysterious Island (As was the plan 8ish years ago), I think it would have been a worse thematic fit than Pandora.

twebber55

I do think that with many intellectual properties there are appropriate ways to tie them to a park. In some cases it's because the park lacks cohesion, but that's not the case in the Animal Kingdom. They way that I look at intellectual property fits outside of logical areas is "does this work if the IP didn't exist". Pandora absolutely does. They used the movie as inspiration, but there's very little in the land lifted directly from the movies.

Hypothetically if Avatar didn't exist and Disney announced a partnership with James Cameron to create an alien land full of mythical flora, fauna and humanoid creatures at the very least we would be intrigued. That's exactly what they did. They didn't focus on Jake Sully or the conflict with the humans or Nayteri (spelling?) because the bond people had with Avatar wasn't with the characters.

Avatar is a movie that lends itself to a dimensional environment. Even though it was the highest grossing domestic film of all time, it's possible that a theme park land was a better medium for the concept.

I feel the same way about Tron. I thought Tron: Legacy was outright bad, but it absolutely lends itself to a cool experience/environment. On the contrary, Toy Story probably doesn't. Of those three movies/franchises, Toy Story is far and away my favorite.

If the alternative for the Animal Kingdom was a direct lift of Mysterious Island (As was the plan 8ish years ago), I think it would have been a worse thematic fit than Pandora.
preaching to the choir man
agree with every word

FigmentJedi

Tell me why the treatment they did for Avatar doesn't fit into Disney's Animal Kingdom?

he s been a hater from the get go
nothing they couldve done would ve been correct
certainly his opinion of course

It works with the ecological themes of the park, but aliens still feel really out of place in a park about Man's relationship to the Earth, especially when the only reason we'd be visiting the alien planet in the context of that film's universe is because Earth is beyond saving and everything that we were trying to do elsewhere in the park was all for nothing.

But we've had arguments like this going around in circles and circles ever since Avatar's original announcement and we'd be beating a dead Direhorse.

RSoxNo1

It works with the ecological themes of the park, but aliens still feel really out of place in a park about Man's relationship to the Earth, especially when the only reason we'd be visiting the alien planet in the context of that film's universe is because Earth is beyond saving and everything that we were trying to do elsewhere in the park was all for nothing.

But we've had arguments like this going around in circles and circles ever since Avatar's original announcement and we'd be beating a dead Direhorse.
I think the argument about aliens is a viable one. Having said that, taking mythical animals from European mythology was largely exhausted by Harry Potter. It was an alternative that I think they fell backwards into. I highly doubt the executives that made the deal had that much foresight but thankfully the execution was solid.

Captain Neo

The original Avatar announcement clearly stated it was for Disney Parks & Resorts worldwide with WDW just being the first to get it.

Captain Neo

And those were cancelled when they realized there are a total of seven Avatar superfans.

First movie made 2 Billion and there is no reason to doubt Cameron won't deliver with his sequels like he did with ALIENS and T2.

Pretty sure Avatar Land is doing phenomenal so far. I've already seen talk of a Phase 2 Expansion and the Fox acquisition makes that extremely likely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom