New Orleans Square is getting Flattened

Centauri Space Station

I understand this take. I think because it’s our favorite ride, we have to do the MK version, even if it’s inferior. At least once.

Some of these are on our priority list. Others will have to wait until I return.

We weren’t too pleased with what we were seeing for quick service options, and my friend advised that we stay away from any quick service in the park, so we’re going with Crystal Palace.😉
Crystal palace is good, it’s a buffet so it has lots of options. I hope the Peoplemover is on priority it’s great 😁

Figments Friend

I would argue it still has that experience but it’s harder to find. Spaceship earth, living with the land, test track, awesome planet, Canada far and wide, American adventure, plus Ratatouille, Soarin, space 220, Seabase, the new point of light compliment the experience.

Agree, and as I noted there are still glimpses of 'Old EPCOT Center'.
The Land as a whole, for sure.
One of the last holdouts.
Love that carpeted wall mural in the theatre waiting area...!

The old 'spirit of inspiration' is fleeting ...but still present in certain areas.
Just as you said, it is much harder to find today.

-

Figments Friend

I understand this take. I think because it’s our favorite ride, we have to do the MK version, even if it’s inferior. At least once.

Some of these are on our priority list. Others will have to wait until I return.

We weren’t too pleased with what we were seeing for quick service options, and my friend advised that we stay away from any quick service in the park, so we’re going with Crystal Palace.😉

Carousel of Progress and the WEDWay Peoplmover are must dos.

You will enjoy Crystal Palace, so good choice.

-

mickEblu

Original Poster
Can’t they install some hanging plant or add some crawling ivy on the left side of that off center window outside of Club 33 to draw our attention and take it away from the fact that it’s off centered?

On another note it appears they have finally added some climbing roses in front of the Big Blue Dumbo Wall. I don’t think they ll cover the entire wall but they should help.

TP2000

EPCOT Center in the 1980s and even the early 1990s was a stunning place.
Nothing like it on earth.
I liken it to what others must have felt when Disneyland first opened in the 1950s.
Just incredible, nothing compared.

Agreed. By the time EPCOT Center opened and I first visited in '84, I'd already been to a few World's Fairs in my life. EPCOT was similar to a World's Fair, and yet different and with that Disney touch. As the 80's clipped along I went to the 1986 World's Fair up in Vancouver, and it was wonderful. And yet it was still noticeably inferior to my recent visits to EPCOT Center. By the time I'd visited EPCOT a few more times in the later 1980's, I was hooked.

I think the last time I really enjoyed my EPCOT visit was during the Millennium Celebration when I went in 1999, even though the park had changed noticeably since the 80's by then.

But to see what it had already devolved into by the 2010's, and then what they're doing to it now in the 20's, well...

I just can't look. I've got a lot on my plate right now in my personal life with a big move, and the world went crazy in the last two years, and then got even crazier in the last three weeks. So, I just can't look. I just don't have the emotions left to spare it.

Californian Elitist

Let me tell you. MK pirates is like… when someone scratches your back but just doesn’t get the right spot and it’s still itchy after.
Thank you for this analogy!😂

I’ve seen some ride-thrus of it on YouTube. I know that my favorite segment in the original ride is completely missing in the MK version. I know there’s only one drop. I still have to ride it.😬

I don’t think I’ll necessarily be disappointed because I already know what to expect. I’ll enjoy what I can.

Disney Analyst

Thank you for this analogy!😂

I’ve seen some ride-thrus of it on YouTube. I know that my favorite segment in the original ride is completely missing in the MK version. I know there’s only one drop. I still have to ride it.😬

I don’t think I’ll necessarily be disappointed because I already know what to expect. I’ll enjoy what I can.

It’s the best way to think about it. It will give you the Pirate fix you crave, but won’t quite hit the spot. Go in with that mindset, and you’ll be golden!

For me Spaceship Earth was the attraction at WDW that really gave me the same feeling I got when I first rode PotC at Disneyland.

Animaniac93-98

@raven24 since you're going to MK for the first time, I'm going to plug my own MK appreciation thread.

It doesn't have the touring plan specifics of how to maximize your time and money at the park, but may give you some context or appreciation for the park when you're there:

Californian Elitist

@raven24 since you're going to MK for the first time, I'm going to plug my own MK appreciation thread.

It doesn't have the touring plan specifics of how to maximize your time and money at the park, but may give you some context or appreciation for the park when you're there:

Thank you!

TP2000

The word "drop" is a really strong word to use in relation to MK's Pirates ride.

I think you should set your expectations appropriately by not saying "drop", and instead say something like "slight decline in elevation".

Instead of thinking this...

scIAnOgKp6zurj51pSku2r7wh_UrrNDX7vigtwLhRI0.jpg

Think of this instead...

6467921cv12d.jpg

PiratesMansion

Magic Kingdom recommendations for @raven24:
1. Haunted Mansion. Obviously. Note that it's considerably more popular here than at DL.
2. If at all possible get a ride on Space and Splash for yourself (Genie+?). Splash is, IMO, much better than the DL version and is likely going away soon. Space Mountain is a totally different spin on the concept and a bit more of a true roller coaster than DL's is. Think Matterhorn but smoother in all respects.
3. Jungle Cruise with added temple scene (not sure if things have changed, but back in October THIS was the ride to rope drop. A definite popularity boost since the redone scenes were added).
4. Festival of Fantasy is a pretty good daytime parade.

Great things to hit that you can probably do whenever:
-Country Bears, OG show!
-Swiss Family Treehouse >>> Tarzan's Treehouse
-COP
-Their unique two-island Tom Sawyer Island is MUCH better and is basically unaltered from its original state.
-Their riverboat still has a nice, long route if you're nostalgic for the pre-SW:GE DL river, with more elaborate scenery than DL used to have.
-REAL PhilharMagic!
-Peoplemover

If you need another in-park dining experience, I would recommend Liberty Tree Tavern (Thanksgiving in a lovely colonial setting) or Skipper Canteen (basically Jungle Cruise: the restaurant).

Other things worth noting:
-IASW has a disappointing facade, but an argument could be made that the actual attraction is superior in FL (not one I would personally make, but there are definitely points I can see in the MK version's favor).
-The ONLY castle park with the rockets in their proper place above the Peoplemover loading station.

Less necessary:
-Big Thunder has slightly different scenery but is basically identical to DL's in layout and experience.
-Similarly, the presentation of the Tiki Room is subtly more elaborate than in CA in a way that I think is interesting but the actual show is mostly identical to the DL version, just a bit further condensed (that said, it's another easy thing to do when everything's busy).
-Buzz is pretty bad out there. Avoid.
-Hall of Presidents I admire more in concept than execution (at least the current show), but it's a fun thing to compare/contrast with Mr. Lincoln. Another one you could do whenever if desired.
-Laugh Floor isn't great (but another attraction likely to have a quick wait)
-Pirates for all previously stated reasons.
-Is Pooh better in Florida? Yes. Is it also MUCH harder to get on than in CA? YES.
-I think the MK Peter Pan's Flight has a lot to recommend for it, but the waits will likely be prohibitive.
-Little Mermaid unless you want to laugh at how overly elaborate the queue is for the exact same ride from DCA.

BUT ANYWAY it's a good thing that you're prioritizing things because it's MUCH harder to do things at Magic Kingdom than Disneyland. Make sure that you arrive before opening if possible (rope drop is much more important in Florida) and that you allow extra time to get from the parking lot to the TTC and across the lagoon to the park if you're driving in.

Despite the often-deserved lashing MK and WDW get on here, there are still gems that shine through. I hope you're able to find them and enjoy your day at the park!

Last edited:

180º

1. Haunted Mansion. Obviously. Note that it's considerably more popular here than at DL.
2. If at all possible get a ride on Space and Splash for yourself (Genie+?). Splash is, IMO, much better than the DL version and is likely going away soon. Space Mountain is a totally different spin on the concept and a bit more of a true roller coaster than DL's is. Think Matterhorn but smoother in all respects.
3. Jungle Cruise with added temple scene (not sure if things have changed, but back in October THIS was the ride to rope drop. A definite popularity boost since the redone scenes were added.
4. Festival of Fantasy is a pretty good daytime parade .

-Country Bears, OG show!
-COP
-Their unique two-island Tom Sawyer Island is MUCH better and is basically unaltered from its original state.
-Their riverboat still has a nice, long route if you're nostalgic for the pre-SW:GE DL river, with more elaborate scenery than DL used to have.
-REAL PhilharMagic!
-Peoplemover

If you need another in-park dining experience, I would recommend Liberty Tree Tavern (Thanksgiving in a lovely colonial setting) or Skipper Canteen (basically Jungle Cruise: the restaurant).

-IASW has a disappointing facade, but an argument could be made that the actual attraction is superior in FL (not one I would personally make, but there are definitely points I can see in the MK version's favor).
-The ONLY castle park with the rockets in their proper place above the Peoplemover loading station.

Less necessary
-Big Thunder has slightly different scenery but is basically identical to DL's in layout and experience.
-Similarly, the presentation of the Tiki Room is subtly more elaborate than in CA in a way that I think is interesting but the actual show is mostly identical to the DL version, just a bit further condensed (that said, it's another easy thing to do when everything's busy).
-Hall of Presidents I admire more in concept than execution (at least the current show), but it's a fun thing to compare/contrast with Mr. Lincoln. Another one you could do whenever if desired.
-Is Pooh better in Florida? Yes. Is it also MUCH harder to get on than in CA? YES.
-I think the MK Peter Pan's Flight has a lot to recommend for it, but the waits will likely be prohibitive.
-Little Mermaid unless you want to laugh at how overly elaborate the queue is for the exact same ride at DCA.

BUT ANYWAY it's a good thing that you're prioritizing things because it's MUCH harder to do things at Magic Kingdom than Disneyland. Make sure that you arrive before opening if possible (rope drop is much more important in Florida) and that you allow extra time to get from the parking lot to the TTC and across the lagoon to the park if you're driving in.

Despite the often-deserved lashing MK and WDW get on here, there are still gems that shine through. I hope you're able to find them and enjoy your day at the park!
Quoted because every single point in this post is spot on. Heed these recommendations to the letter!!!

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
3. Jungle Cruise with added temple scene (not sure if things have changed, but back in October THIS was the ride to rope drop. A definite popularity boost since the redone scenes were added.
4. Festival of Fantasy is a pretty good daytime parade .

-Country Bears, OG show!
-COP
-REAL PhilharMagic!
-Peoplemover

Less necessary
-Little Mermaid unless you want to laugh at how overly elaborate the queue is for the exact same ride at DCA.

It’s hard to imagine that rope dropping something else will save more time overall than rope dropping JC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom