New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

disney4life2008

I don't see how you could add excitement though to the safari. For me, it was excellant, the lions were especially active. But if you get very little animal movement then it won't be as good. Maybe someone needs to poke all the animals with a long stick to keep them wandering about ;-)

The problem was the lighting. There were many animals active but the lighting was bad. Maybe it has improved since the summer.

disney4life2008

They restarted the show following the tech stop, so everyone saw the first 7-8 minutes twice.

Reviews are mixed, generally positive about the tech involved and the first half of the show but several reports that the second half lacks a big wow or finale moment.

I have a feeling they will delay the opening even further. I imagine they want this open within the next two weeks before the holiday but it still seems like much more work is needed. Maybe they will do a 6 week engagement then bring it offline in January.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think the big question is could the show have continued after the technical glitch? It was a dry run for CMs so it would make sense that they would take the time to restart and do it over to get it right.

If the glitch is something that would stop a true run for actual guests and potentially ruin the show then they may need to spend some time reworking the tech to get it fixed before opening. As we all know from experience a show or ride can go on without all of the effects working 100% of the time. Not that I want to see it open with issues.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Does the show look like the promotional pictures we've had for some time? I always thought those pictures looked beautiful and if the show looks the same in person I'm sure I'll like it. Btw, I guess the lanterns are scrapped because they were the opening of the show (they said that in that presentation for the mombloggers a while back).
Yes it looks exactly like the promo images.

Sweet Thing

Consensus seemed to be technically stunning, great eye candy, but a bit boring and needs a finale (not my words)
I was there and that was my thought. It was technically impressive (as long as the barges stop crashing into one another...the collision was pretty loud) and pretty to see. I was hoping for the swelling emotions I get watching World of Color and I just didn't get that. It also felt like it just ended. I was actually thinking everyone was standing up too early until they ran the thank you announce. I might try to watch it one more time from the Dinoland side whenever it finally opens.

disney4life2008

I was there and that was my thought. It was technically impressive (as long as the barges stop crashing into one another...the collision was pretty loud) and pretty to see. I was hoping for the swelling emotions I get watching World of Color and I just didn't get that. It also felt like it just ended. I was actually thinking everyone was standing up too early until they ran the thank you announce. I might try to watch it one more time from the Dinoland side whenever it finally opens.

World of Color (not the garbage with NPH) but the original is absolutely amazing. Prior, Fantasmic! reigned as my favorite show but WOC is simply unmatchable. Specifically because of the finale. I live for disney finale's and hope ROL gets that great finale. I do not need fireworks but music, light, and water (all that ROL) has should do the trick.

djkidkaz

This doesn't sound like positive news for evenings at AK. It looks like it'll be up to Pandoras night time offering to keep people in the park.

My opinion is that regardless how nice Pandora is at night I think most people are going to stick to the typical morning shift at AK and the park won't see healthy evening attendance until it adds more attractions. Considering that both of Pandoras attractions are indoors, those experiences will be the same regardless of time of day. And I think that nice lighting and being able to see my footprints on the ground is a novelty that once seen wouldn't make me adjust my whole day of park going.

Mike S

We treat concept art as the final product around here...
Because sometimes it does or gives you a very good idea and since you quoted a post about the Star Wars show;
Star-Wars-A-Galactic-Spectacular_Full_26845.jpg

Looks pretty spot on of the final product, wouldn't you think? ;)
And then throw absolute hissy fits when the paint color or shadows are not precisely what they are in the concept o_O
No, just when art portrays something that looks better than the final product.

No matter what, I wanna see the show for myself before I make any sort of opinion. Excited to see what it has to offer!
There are some people here who visit WDW every year or multiple times a year and primarily post negative stuff. When they are asked why they still go back most say they still have a generally good time and enjoy their visits, but you wouldn't get that impression from reading their other posts.
I think many people are personally just not happy with the direction Disney is heading rather than Disney itself. A lot of people can be critical of the things they love most. Personally though, this show regardless of the feedback so far has me really excited. Like while I'm not exploding in excitement at the idea of Avatarland this is something that has caught my interest for sure. I know my friend and I who constantly obsess about Disney will also talk about their wrong doings a lot even though we genuinely think it's probably the coolest place on earth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom