New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

jakeman

So no one is allowed to have an opposing opinion?

I'd have to say that based on the video I was sent, there is nothing all that amazing here. Someone mentioned on another gathering spot that they've seen better effects at a rock concert. From what I have seen, I would have to agree.
You can have all the opposing opinions you want.

Just like it's my opinion that opinions based on pirated cellphone footage from a CM soft opening are not valid. You can hold said opinion all you want...folks don't have to validate it or acknowledge it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
sadly, this is the world we live in today. It's hard to believe how negative the world has become but people live for it. I'm looking forward to the show. Hopefully there is a soft opening this coming Sunday.
It seems that with social media, many people believe it is their job to criticize.
Not simply enjoy a performance, hotel, resort, restaurant - what ever it may be - but rather to act as a critic.
Bingo. It's not that people have become that much more negative but that they are quicker to point out the negatives. I think social media does play into this. Everyone is a critic now with Twitter and even places like this forum. I also think people are interested in clicks/likes/views and negativity gets more reaction than positive reviews or statements.

Mike S

It seems that with social media, many people believe it is their job to criticize.
Not simply enjoy a performance, hotel, resort, restaurant - what ever it may be - but rather to act as a critic.
I think people would say whether they liked or disliked something on their own anyway with or without social media. I heard it plenty of times while I was in Orlando this week.

IMDREW

Does the show look like the promotional pictures we've had for some time? I always thought those pictures looked beautiful and if the show looks the same in person I'm sure I'll like it. Btw, I guess the lanterns are scrapped because they were the opening of the show (they said that in that presentation for the mombloggers a while back).

Magic Feather

Probably the best way to describe this show is an enhanced version of the globe segment from RoE (no pyro, just the globe, fountains, and lasers) If you can appreciate that on its own, then you will appreciate this show. Admittedly, some find it to be the low point (boring part) of RoE (I do not) and those are the people bound to find this boring. To my knowledge some, if not all, floating lanterns were cut. Pyro was modified.

disney4life2008

To be fair: I have been underwhelmed by the AK nighttime offerings. The nighttime safari while greatly appreciated lacks any excitement. The tree of life show is boring but I know I am in a minority but looking at images on there is whack (I feel the same way about the magic kingdom castle). I have high hopes for rivers of light.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think people would say whether they liked or disliked something on their own anyway with or without social media. I heard it plenty of times while I was in Orlando this week.
Agreed. People will still have an opinion either way and social media didn't make people more negative. I do think sometimes people will post a more negative "review" of something than their true feelings. Maybe it's just more of a focus on the negatives or the issues. Look at this place for example. There are some people here who visit WDW every year or multiple times a year and primarily post negative stuff. When they are asked why they still go back most say they still have a generally good time and enjoy their visits, but you wouldn't get that impression from reading their other posts.

JohnD

Can you confirm if they did cut the floating lanterns and fog, fire effect?

Because these are previews in front of CMs (and apparently invited bloggers ;)), could these be seen as dress rehearsals where they're trying out different things? Could there be different elements tonight that there weren't last night? Regardless, from what I'm hearing, I'm excited to see it.

Incomudro

Yeah, but we've got a nation of Simon Cowell's now.
People just itching to post their review - particularly if it's a bad one - after every Super Bowl halftime show, National Anthem singing, etc...

Jon81uk

The nighttime safari while greatly appreciated lacks any excitement

I don't see how you could add excitement though to the safari. For me, it was excellant, the lions were especially active. But if you get very little animal movement then it won't be as good. Maybe someone needs to poke all the animals with a long stick to keep them wandering about ;-)

Mike S

Agreed. People will still have an opinion either way and social media didn't make people more negative. I do think sometimes people will post a more negative "review" of something than their true feelings. Maybe it's just more of a focus on the negatives or the issues. Look at this place for example. There are some people here who visit WDW every year or multiple times a year and primarily post negative stuff. When they are asked why they still go back most say they still have a generally good time and enjoy their visits, but you wouldn't get that impression from reading their other posts.
Sounds like someone I know... ;):hilarious:
Yeah, but we've got a nation of Simon Cowell's now.
People just itching to post their review - particularly if it's a bad one - after every Super Bowl halftime show, National Anthem singing, etc...
The "nation of Simon Cowells" likely always existed. They just now have an outlet where a lot more people will read their criticisms.

FigmentJedi

Probably the best way to describe this show is an enhanced version of the globe segment from RoE (no pyro, just the globe, fountains, and lasers) If you can appreciate that on its own, then you will appreciate this show. Admittedly, some find it to be the low point (boring part) of RoE (I do not) and those are the people bound to find this boring. To my knowledge some, if not all, floating lanterns were cut. Pyro was modified.
Problem with the globe is its a singular projection visual element in the vastness of World Showcase Lagoon. Rivers of Light's got a lot more going on and Discovery River Bay is a smaller playing field.

Jon81uk

Catching myself up: There was a cast member preview that had some technical glitches but they were able to complete the show. Still no confirmed opening date nor FP+ availability.

Confirm?

They restarted the show following the tech stop, so everyone saw the first 7-8 minutes twice.

Reviews are mixed, generally positive about the tech involved and the first half of the show but several reports that the second half lacks a big wow or finale moment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom