New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

cjkeating

Steve, glad to hear that you like the show! And I'm glad it went well, for the most part. Hope tomorrow's show is a success too, and this opens soon for the public.

Where are you finding that? From what I've searched and read, reactions seem to be generally positive.

There is a lot of negativity on Twitter... however that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

cjkeating

So from following Rivers of Light since it was first announced there are three things that I can see are missing...

1) Fire effect from the large lotus - I am hoping this makes it to the final show as it seems like this is the 'finale' moment
2) Lanterns - I am sure I read somewhere that there was meant to be over 100 lanterns... we have never seen these in any daylight testing however they seemed like a major part to the show so I would assume they were constructed but cut?
3) Fog effects - this seemed the most unlikely as there has never been any sign of this other than the Joe Rohde video clip from a D23 presentation

Can anyone with some inside knowledge on the show elaborate on these missing elements?

Edit - I just capped this from literally 2 seconds of footage from one of the Rivers of Light promo videos from when it was meant to launch earlier in the year showing the smaller lanterns, so they do exist and were moving on the lake...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 09.02.08.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 09.02.08.png
    258.9 KB · Views: 177
  • Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 09.02.12.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 09.02.12.png
    150.4 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
So from following Rivers of Light since it was first announced there are three things that I can see are missing...

1) Fire effect from the large lotus - I am hoping this makes it to the final show as it seems like this is the 'finale' moment
2) Lanterns - I am sure I read somewhere that there was meant to be over 100 lanterns... we have never seen these in any daylight testing however they seemed like a major part to the show so I would assume they were constructed but cut?
3) Fog effects - this seemed the most unlikely as there has never been any sign of this other than the Joe Rohde video clip from a D23 presentation

Can anyone with some inside knowledge on the show elaborate on these missing elements?

Edit - I just capped this from literally 2 seconds of footage from one of the Rivers of Light promo videos from when it was meant to launch earlier in the year showing the smaller lanterns, so they do exist and were moving on the lake...

Wouldn't be surprised to see the floating lanterns reappear down the road with use of drones now

Fire and fog needs to return in some way

Tony the Tigger

...or kept getting run over by colliding boats?

Weeeeeee Arrrrre Onnnneeee.....

Haaaaa!

TabulaRasa

Where are you finding that? From what I've searched and read, reactions seem to be generally positive.
Yea I don't understand why people have been saying it's been getting a negative reaction. Other than some click-baity blogs, most have been saying that the show was great but just lacked a true finale "moment". Plus we need to keep in mind that a standing ovation happened (per multiple sources), and Steve really liked the show (and his reviews are on point). I am definitely optimistic.

HauntedMansionFLA

Genuinely shocked by the overwhelmingly negative impressions people have. Alas, I shouldn't be surprised. Unless it's set to a soundtrack of trashy remixed pop Disney tunes, it's garbage to most. Which is why I don't take their opinions seriously ;) I already know I'm going to fall in love with this show. Just the succinct description Steve gave made me excited, this kind of experience is right up my alley.
sadly, this is the world we live in today. It's hard to believe how negative the world has become but people live for it. I'm looking forward to the show. Hopefully there is a soft opening this coming Sunday.

trampdog

sadly, this is the world we live in today. It's hard to believe how negative the world has become but people live for it. I'm looking forward to the show. Hopefully there is a soft opening this coming Sunday.

So no one is allowed to have an opposing opinion?

I'd have to say that based on the video I was sent, there is nothing all that amazing here. Someone mentioned on another gathering spot that they've seen better effects at a rock concert. From what I have seen, I would have to agree.

HauntedMansionFLA

So no one is allowed to have an opposing opinion?

I'd have to say that based on the video I was sent, there is nothing all that amazing here. Someone mentioned on another gathering spot that they've seen better effects at a rock concert. From what I have seen, I would have to agree.
Of course people can state their opinion. They haven't taken that right away yet. Just its interesting to see how negative people have become.

dreamscometrue

The overwhelming majority (99.9% perhaps) of WDW guests never go on discussion forums, read reviews, etc. WDW is simply not a part of their daily lives as it is for many of us on here. They plan vacations, go and play, enjoy or don't enjoy all the attractions and shows, return home with some good memories, and get on with their lives. I expect, like people who stay at a great hotel, attend a good movie, check out a wonderful restaurant, etc., 80% to 90% will love R.o.L. That's the way she goes. (Ever read top TripAdvisor ratings?...82%, 89%, etc. There's almost always at least 10% of the population unhappy with any experience, even the most awesome ones.)
Edit: From Steve's @wdwmagic review, I know that I'll likely very much enjoy it...and that all that really matters to me. :)

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

The overwhelming majority (99.9% perhaps) of WDW guests never go on discussion forums, read reviews, etc. WDW is simply not a part of their daily lives as it is for many of us on here. They plan vacations, go and play, enjoy or don't enjoy all the attractions and shows, return home with some good memories, and get on with their lives. I expect, like people who stay at a great hotel, attend a good movie, check out a wonderful restaurant, etc., 80% to 90% will love R.o.L. That's the way she goes. (Ever read top TripAdvisor ratings?...82%, 89%, etc. There's almost always at least 10% of the population unhappy with any experience.)
Bingo. Nicely stated. We will be down at WDW next week and have made a list of have to do rides (a couple rides twice), enjoy the holiday cheer and go with the flow. I love to people watch and always entertained at WDW. I know ahead of time we can't do it all. I hope this show is open just because I love DAK and it will be a perfect fit. Also, looking forward to the random Tree of Life awakenings that happen when it turns dark. I use the forums are heads up of something that coming up. That's why we are going for it Sunday evening to see whats going on then do the rope drop on Monday. If the show isn't happening Sunday and they kick us out at 7:00, we take a bus to BC and enter EPCOT at the International Gateway.

dreamscometrue

Yes, just a general observation that I have noticed the past few years.......or maybe its because I'm getting old. :)
It's just that with technology, people can share their thoughts for all to see. And, people with negative thoughts or reviews, tend to post and share those more than positive*. When you look at complied info, such as exit surveys, Rotten Tomatoes ratings or CinemaScore results, you get a much more accurate picture of how something is viewed.

(*There is a massive amount of research that has supported this, but here's a snippet from one article..."Consumers will tell others about their customer service experiences, both good and bad, with the bad news reaching more ears. Americans say they tell an average of nine people about good experiences, and nearly twice as many (16 people) about poor ones."
http://www.retailcustomerexperience...ople-tell-others-about-bad-service-than-good/)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yea I don't understand why people have been saying it's been getting a negative reaction. Other than some click-baity blogs, most have been saying that the show was great but just lacked a true finale "moment". Plus we need to keep in mind that a standing ovation happened (per multiple sources), and Steve really liked the show (and his reviews are on point). I am definitely optimistic.
Consensus seemed to be technically stunning, great eye candy, but a bit boring and needs a finale (not my words)

HauntedMansionFLA

It's just that with technology, people can share their thoughts for all to see. And, people with negative thoughts or reviews, tend to post and share those more than positive*. When you look at complied info, such as exit surveys, Rotten Tomatoes ratings or CinemaScore results, you get a much more accurate picture of how something is viewed.

(*There is a massive amount of research that has supported this, but here's a snippet from one article..."Consumers will tell others about their customer service experiences, both good and bad, with the bad news reaching more ears. Americans say they tell an average of nine people about good experiences, and nearly twice as many (16 people) about poor ones."
http://www.retailcustomerexperience...ople-tell-others-about-bad-service-than-good/)
Great article. I work in Healthcare and we talk about how the people who have a bad experience will let people know for sure. High hopes for Rivers of Light and the nighttime offerings :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom