New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Kman101

I was thinking about the fawn vignette, I thought they were employing a sort of 'conceit', and I wasn't thinking about them as vignettes, so thanks @MisterPenguin.
@Kman101 @21stamps yes there is a Bambi vignette and in the video the fawn vignette was later. In the last vignette there was music from Tarzan and the Jungle Book, but the animals were in shadow, 'characters that are animals but not characters', if that makes sense.
I'm assuming that it's clearer in person, and maybe they show the vignettes at random?

Thanks for clarifying! I have seen a glimpse in a video of the awakening, but I won't watch anything about it because I want to see it in person.

SorcererMC

Thanks for clarifying! I have seen a glimpse in a video of the awakening, but I won't watch anything about it because I want to see it in person.
I don't like spoiling it for myself either but sometimes I can't help it (even I need a little pixie dust)....and I'm bound to forget some of it by the time I see it in person anyhow. :p

21stamps

I was thinking about the fawn vignette, I thought they were employing a sort of 'conceit', and I wasn't thinking about them as vignettes, so thanks @MisterPenguin.
@Kman101 @21stamps yes there is a Bambi vignette and in the video the fawn vignette was later. In the last vignette there was music from Tarzan and the Jungle Book, but the animals were in shadow, 'characters that are animals but not characters', if that makes sense.
I'm assuming that it's clearer in person, and maybe they show the vignettes at random?
They aren't all in shadow, the jungle book music is played and there is a little sequence of characters.. those characters are animals- not Elsa or Mickey or any other Disney character who wouldn't make sense. The characters shown at the Tree of Life are directly related to the show and do not take away from it in the least. Not for me, and not from anyone that I've heard. Maybe some here may feel they are inappropriate, but again, that has no bearing on my experience or enjoyment whatsoever.

21stamps

Now I have to reply. The dumbing down of America comes from the perception that learning should be compartmentalized. We should only receive an education when we seek it out...and then it better be entertaining to have any value. But, by God, don't ruin our pure entertainment with anything educational. It's a sad state when we feel that learning something lessens the value rather than enhances it.
That is not even close to anything that I've said. You don't need to separate the 2. The presence of Donald Duck doesn't take away from the added benefit of conservation activities. Activities which most kids have probably done at their local zoo or museum. Both Donald Duck and the activities are fun, the Disney whimsy adds a distinct difference. Not a bad one in my opinion.

21stamps

21stamps

Thank you. I wouldn't take it as correct though being just a fan blog.

(And yes, I have seen it myself ;) )

I didn't mention the character because of what I read on a fan blog, I mentioned them because that is what I watched with my own eyes, and watched the excitement of the person with me.

It is entirely possible that myself, my kid, and my friends have all lost our minds...I can't rule that out, but it seems a little unlikely since I am now finding the same descriptions of what I saw.

http://thedisneyblog.com/2016/04/20...from-new-digital-projection-show-coming-soon/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_of_Life_(Disney)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I didn't mention the character because of what I read on a fan blog, I mentioned them because that is what I watched with my own eyes, and watched the excitement of the person with me.

It is entirely possible that myself, my kid, and my friends have all lost our minds...I can't rule that out, but it seems a little unlikely since I am now finding the same descriptions of what I saw.

http://thedisneyblog.com/2016/04/20...from-new-digital-projection-show-coming-soon/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_of_Life_(Disney)
Yes, I saw it too. With my own eyes even!

But fan blogs are often reading off the same fan-created story page. Wiki is worse.

I'm still looking for an official description meantioning characters. If I do I'll be sure to let you know.

DDLand

This in no way addressed the post to which you responded: "Disney has no interest in maintaining a balance between IP and non-IP. That is a construct of some apparent super fans, not the majority of average guests."

You can look at anything they've done recently and you'll find @lazyboy97o is absolutely correct.

The most recent original Disney rides built that come to mind are in Shanghai.
1) Soarin: a well proven concept with a new film and preshow
2) Roarin Rapids: a new exterior to a well proven concept with some Everest plot thrown in

Compare that to Frozen, 2 SWE, Avatar, GotG, all the other Shanghai rides, the not so new Fantasyland, Toy Story Land, Cars Land, etc. While Hong Kong should definitely get credit for Mystic Manor and Grizzly Gulch, they are following that up exclusively with IPs. That was also due to the government intervention.

Look at the Disney of the 60s and 70s that brought us classics like PotC, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, and Big Thunder or the Disney of the 80s and 90s that brought us EPCOT Center, Disney's Animal Kingdom, and attempted more IP free concepts (WestCot, Disney SEA, America).

Even just comparing the ambition and risk taking of today with their long history is embarrassing. They just won't try new original rides unless it's using a preexisting concept or their government partner is twisting their leg.

When people voice their disapproval with the flood of IP, they have a factual basis. Not even the flood of IP bothers me as much as the lack of care that is usually associated with it. I like Fantasyland, but everything should not be Fantasyland; especially if Disney has already promised to tell a certain story to their guests that can't be reinforced by Frozen or Zootopia.

That makes the whole park somewhat of a pointless incoherent mess.

Princess Leia

Don't think anybody's posted these, but here's the high-res versions of the photos from the page on Disney's site
river-of-lights-owls-blue-16x9.jpg

river-of-light-river-pods-16x9.jpg

rivers-of-light-boats-16x9.jpg

rivers-of-light-elephant-16x9.jpg
Holy smokes these are gorgeous

21stamps

You can look at anything they've done recently and you'll find @lazyboy97o is absolutely correct.

The most recent original Disney rides built that come to mind are in Shanghai.
1) Soarin: a well proven concept with a new film and preshow
2) Roarin Rapids: a new exterior to a well proven concept with some Everest plot thrown in

Compare that to Frozen, 2 SWE, Avatar, GotG, all the other Shanghai rides, the not so new Fantasyland, Toy Story Land, Cars Land, etc. While Hong Kong should definitely get credit for Mystic Manor and Grizzly Gulch, they are following that up exclusively with IPs. That was also due to the government intervention.

Look at the Disney of the 60s and 70s that brought us classics like PotC, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, and Big Thunder or the Disney of the 80s and 90s that brought us EPCOT Center, Disney's Animal Kingdom, and attempted more IP free concepts (WestCot, Disney SEA, America).

Even just comparing the ambition and risk taking of today with their long history is embarrassing. They just won't try new original rides unless it's using a preexisting concept or their government partner is twisting their leg.

When people voice their disapproval with the flood of IP, they have a factual basis. Not even the flood of IP bothers me as much as the lack of care that is usually associated with it. I like Fantasyland, but everything should not be Fantasyland; especially if Disney has already promised to tell a certain story to their guests that can't be reinforced by Frozen or Zootopia.

That makes the whole park somewhat of a pointless incoherent mess.
I think this is such an interesting discussion, you are correct in the difference between then and now. I don't think anyone would dispute that.

What I've said consistently, is what I think should be taken into consideration, or at least acknowledged, is that people now are different than people back then. Very different. With many options available to us. How does a company make us spend their money with them instead of someone else? what can they provide that is unique to anywhere else?

DDLand

I think this is such an interesting discussion, you are correct in the difference between then and now. I don't think anyone would dispute that.

What I've said consistently, is what I think should be taken into consideration, or at least acknowledged, is that people now are different than people back then. Very different. With many options available to us. How does a company make us spend their money with them instead of someone else? what can they provide that is unique to anywhere else?
Call me a hopeless optimist, but I actually don't think we're too different as some like to paint us. Sure kids today probably wouldn't enjoy exactly what worked in the 1960s or even the 1980s, but I know a couple things.

1) Every individual likes a good story. This has been true from the very beginning of humanity up until today.

2) Every individual enjoys being awed by technology.

3) Every individual wants to be changed and impacted by the content they consume. This may be subconscious, but their is an internal human longing for this.

4) Every individual likes good design.

Have people stopped making new films and television because we've moved on? Of course not. We may not have as many westerns, but the same themes are still told just through new settings. So too could EPCOT Center have continued to adapt by remembering the four basic perpetual truths above. So too can Disney's Animal Kingdom keep moving forward.

The audience wants IP because it's what they know. That's why after every good movie there are calls for a sequel. It's up to the artists to keep creating new and exciting content and give the people what they never could have expected.

Bocabear

Call me a hopeless optimist, but I actually don't think we're too different as some like to paint us. Sure kids today probably wouldn't enjoy exactly what worked in the 1960s or even the 1980s, but I know a couple things.

1) Every individual likes a good story. This has been true from the very beginning of humanity up until today.

2) Every individual enjoys being awed by technology.

3) Every individual wants to be changed and impacted by the content they consume. This may be subconscious, but their is an internal human longing for this.

4) Every individual likes good design.

Have people stopped making new films and television because we've moved on? Of course not. We may not have as many westerns, but the same themes are still told just through new settings. So too could EPCOT Center have continued to adapt by remembering the four basic perpetual truths above. So too can Disney's Animal Kingdom keep moving forward.

The audience wants IP because it's what they know. That's why after every good movie there are calls for a sequel. It's up to the artists to keep creating new and exciting content and give the people what they never could have expected.
I disagree with the last part...I don't necessarily believe the audience wants IP...I think Disney Executives want IP for synergy and product sales...I think Audiences just want to be wowed by an engaging and beautiful show. injecting IP is not the only way to appeal to a younger audience...it's a lazy way.

Kman101

I disagree with the last part...I don't necessarily believe the audience wants IP...I think Disney Executives want IP for synergy and product sales...I think Audiences just want to be wowed by an engaging and beautiful show. injecting IP is not the only way to appeal to a younger audience...it's a lazy way.

I actually do think there's a large chunk who expect IPs now. I agree that the higher ups are pushing under the guise that it's what the guests want but I do believe a large chunk of visitors do and expect it :/

DDLand

You're absolutely correct; what you articulated is a large drive. I actually thought of writing those very sentiments instead of the route I took.

What drove me the other way is there really is a strong demand for IP stuff. Whenever a new movie comes out I read posts like "whoa, I'd love a x ride!" Or "wouldn't an x ride work so well in y location!"

It's what they know. It's up to the artist to say no. This doesn't fit. The content I can create will tell the story we're trying to convey much better than any forced IP.

Sadly the management, as you pointed out, doesn't believe in their own artists. Think of it. A creative company like Walt Disney not believing in creatives.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
they expect it because they have been bombarded with it. The original version of EPCOT was wildly successfulk without it...it was later as things started aging without updates that they began injecting Disney Characters into the mix...
I do think a large portion of the guests at WDW expect to see Disney characters at the Disney parks these days. Look at the huge lines to meet characters. The population posting here is not the norm. I do think they started introducing more characters into EPCOT at least partially due to guest demand. I loved the original EPCOT Center as a kid in the 80s, but even back then I knew a lot of people that described it as the "boring" park and some families with kids avoided it.

The key is for Disney to use IP when and where appropriate. Frozen in Norway is a stretch. Having Jungle Book characters or Safari Mickey at AK just makes good sense. I fail to see how GoTG fits at EPCOT at all, but I have come around on Avatar as being a decent fit in AK so maybe they will figure it out.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I don't completely disagree. I'll use a personal example of what I'm referring to-

We stayed at GF a few weeks ago. I chose it over the other 2 monorail resorts because of the Christmas decorations. I didn't show my son any of the photos of GF at Christmastime before hand. I looked forward to the awe and excitement that I would see on his face when we arrived.

Here's what actually happened-
We walk in, head to the check in desk, he looks around, doesn't looks excited, doesn't proclaim excitement, just simply looking, face neutral. I exclaimed "Isn't it beautiful! Look over there, and there, and at the tree, and at the gingerbread house. It's gorgeous!" His completely unemotional response- "It's cool."
When I was 6 I would have thought it was amazing, I would have been thrilled. But for kids today they've "been there, done that" there's just so much "grand" now available, there's so many "themed experiences" and "unique" and "engaging" and "beautiful" available, that one experience is hard to top another.
As the week went on he did thoroughly enjoy the gingerbread house, and requested that we buy a gingerbread ornament to represent it on our tree...Don't get me wrong, he enjoyed the hotel, he had a wonderful time at MK, but the very first time that I saw pure "Awe" on his face was 4 days later, at Hollywood Studios, the first time he encountered a Stormtrooper.

The power of Star Wars coming to life was the first time I have seen my kid standing (literally) jaw dropped in amazement.
Wait a second. You stayed at the Grand Floridian? We had no idea.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom