New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

jrhwdw

Do what the MK does to add excitement to a show--low-level pyro!
They had 1 shot of low pyro in Jungle Book. I was wonder if something like thet was going into ROL, Of course, fire could do the same thing.

About drones, no info here, just a thought. Could the drones move from DS to DAK after the new year?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
They had 1 shot of low pyro in Jungle Book. I was wonder if something like thet was going into ROL, Of course, fire could do the same thing.

About drones, no info here, just a thought. Could the drones move from DS to DAK after the new year?

floating lanterns and drone lights seem to be a perfect fit...if they wanted it to be

mikeh

floating lanterns and drone lights seem to be a perfect fit...if they wanted it to be

There's one particular part of the show where drones could be used to create a real "wow moment" towards the finale.

They could have the drones prepped and ready near the banks of Flame Tree BBQ and when the water screen is showing the stars and constellations, they could have the drones rise up from behind the water screen and act like stars in the night sky during the finale. That would be something that has people talking for years and catapult this show to a MUST SEE.

Next Big Thing

There's one particular part of the show where drones could be used to create a real "wow moment" towards the finale.
Do you think the show would benefit from some low level pyro at the end? Thinking about all of Disney's nighttime shows, they ALL end with fireworks... except RoL. Fireworks (and a good musical score) tend to let the viewer know in a certain way that a show is ending. From what i've read, it seems like the show just sort of ends and it leaves everyone with a "that's it?" sort of moment.

mikeh

Do you think the show would benefit from some low level pyro at the end? Thinking about all of Disney's nighttime shows, they ALL end with fireworks... except RoL. Fireworks (and a good score) tend to let the viewer know in a certain way that a show is ending. From what i've read, it seems like the show just sort of ends and it leaves everyone with a "that's it?" sort of moment.

I would probably lean towards no, but only because it's a soft, flowing show. I don't know if you ever saw Jungle Book: Alive with Magic, but that low-level pyro to end the show was a bit out of place and weird. That said, it made more sense because the music was much more in your face than RoL is.

I still like the idea of drones. If you release 300 of them (or even less, to be honest), at the right moment in the show, it would truly be a perfect way to end the show, in my opinion. Add some fire effects (like there were supposed to be) with the drones and you'll have a finale unlike anything you've seen at Disney.

All that said, I'm sure Disney will add something to the finale to fix what was a sort of "that's it?" moment.

Next Big Thing

I would probably lean towards no, but only because it's a soft, flowing show. I don't know if you ever saw Jungle Book: Alive with Magic, but that low-level pyro to end the show was a bit out of place and weird. That said, it made more sense because the music was much more in your face than RoL is.

I still like the idea of drones. If you release 300 of them (or even less, to be honest), at the right moment in the show, it would truly be a perfect way to end the show, in my opinion. Add some fire effects (like there were supposed to be) with the drones and you'll have a finale unlike anything you've seen at Disney.

All that said, I'm sure Disney will add something to the finale to fix what was a sort of "that's it?" moment.
I would love to see drones added to this show, I don't see it happening right away though. That is, unless they actually do wait until spring for an opening of the show.

EDIT: wouldn't that be against FAA rules/regulations to use drones in RoL though since there are live performers?

Jeremy Geertsema

I'm pretty sure that regarding rehearsals, that every time the boats are parked by their corresponding theater, and the sails are rised, then there is probably a rehearsal happening. Last time I was at AK, the boats were out all day, but the sails were done, nighttime came, and the sails were up, and the lotus floats were in position to start.

Brian Swan

Stretching my mind back to some of the early concept drawings, I remember what looked like a swarm of "fireflies" around the ToL in conjunction with AK PM activities, including ROL. Some months back, when we saw the first news that Disney was pursuing drones, my thought was it would be to create this effect. I'm wondering now if those lights were more than just concept art eye-candy.

PREMiERdrum

EDIT: wouldn't that be against FAA rules/regulations to use drones in RoL though since there are live performers?

Not necessarily. We completed our certification process here at work for FAA-approved drone use earlier this year... You cannot fly them *directly* over people, but in close proximity isn't a problem. Given that both the floats and drones would be controlled by interlinked guidance systems via the show control program, direct overhead crossings could easily be avoided.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I would love to see drones added to this show, I don't see it happening right away though. That is, unless they actually do wait until spring for an opening of the show.

While it certainly could prove interesting, I can't imagine anyone is looking at adding anything to this show until well after it finally gets into regular scheduled operation. They seem to have enough on their hands just trying to achieve that milestone without trying to add something new at this stage.

Mawg

Anyone think that the drones being used at Disney Springs will be used at RoL, thus no river of lights until after the Holidays?

raymusiccity

Agree. We definitely need a 'That's It!' finale, instead of a thud, 'That's It?'..... Although, they could play Peggy Lee singing 'Is That All There Is' as you file out into the darkness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom