New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

TTA94

I think they are going to find themselves in a big mess the first night it softs opens. Once the word gets out all the APs, CMs, locals will race over to DAK. The stand by lines for both theaters will be massive.

Brian Swan

Soft openings probably will no announced showings of ROL. There will be some lucky people being in the right place at the right time. That happened years back when EE was getting ready to open. A CM asked us if we would be interested in riding out new roller coaster. We were like, "Well, I guess" :) Great news coming out of DAK. Our December is getting more magical.
I agree. "Soft openings" are basically beta-testing; they can be added or deleted at a moment's notice, be stopped mid-run, etc. Granted, rides are different than shows, but look at the first few weeks of FEA (that should have been "soft" but were offficially opened, with FPPs). Once the "official" opening is announced, I would expect FPPs from that date forward, but prior to that I would expect an in-park announcement along the lines of "You are invited to a special preview showing of Animal Kingdom's spectacular new night time show Rivers of Light beginning at 8:00 PM tonight" being made an hour or two before show time.

flynnibus

Premium Member
When the ride was built there was not a cast member stationed in the burn zone. Guest issues have required a cast member be placed permanently in this area. GMR was designed from the beginning to safely have cast and guest in close proximity to its fire effects. Kali was not. Obviously they could have made modifications to ensure cast member safety and satisfy osha requirements but that is not what they choose to do. Instead the fire was removed and replaced with lighting effects.

So ... 'cheapness' is what it was about

peter11435

So ... 'cheapness' is what it was about
If that's how you want to interpret it then yes. But first and foremost it was about safety. Safety of the guests resulted in placing a cast member in that location. Safety of the cast member resulted in removing the fire.

If it was entirely about cheapness they wouldn't have bothered to replace the fire with a lighting effect.

prfctlyximprct

3CFA658F-F265-4173-B883-947D9E0364D9_zpsobdisxdf.png

When you get yourself a reputation..

TTA94

If @marni1971 time frame is correct for the official opening being mid November, My guess would be the weekend of the 18th.. which is the weekend before Thanksgiving.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom