New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

kap91

I'm probably the only one who prefers the Orlando dragon (when lit properly) as opposed to Snap. They just need to fix the flame jet that has been awful now for years.

NOPE. Not the only one! I tried convincing people years ago when Disneyland was getting its new one that the old style was cooler, more theatrical and all, but was rebuffed. That being said, having seen the new one in person now it's not like its bad or anything.

And granted I only see F! about once a year, so the last time I saw it was several months ago but I didn't notice anything wrong with the fireball. Or anything wrong really, it was one of the best performances I've seen. I do wish though that now Disney and certain religious organizations have drawn a truce that they'd finally activate the Mickey walking on water effect - 'course it's probably rusted to bits now if it's even still there.

Crazydisneyfanluke

NOPE. Not the only one! I tried convincing people years ago when Disneyland was getting its new one that the old style was cooler, more theatrical and all, but was rebuffed. That being said, having seen the new one in person now it's not like its bad or anything.

And granted I only see F! about once a year, so the last time I saw it was several months ago but I didn't notice anything wrong with the fireball. Or anything wrong really, it was one of the best performances I've seen. I do wish though that now Disney and certain religious organizations have drawn a truce that they'd finally activate the Mickey walking on water effect - 'course it's probably rusted to bits now if it's even still there.
WHAT?!?!?:jawdrop:

flynnibus

Premium Member
sorry... massive dragon appearing when it wasn't there.. plus the fire... love 'snaps'

The DHS dragon is more theatre like.. and I like the fire in the river better at DHS... but 'snaps' is an amazing stage feat and has quite a presence.

kap91

This part.

Oh. Yeah the show was designed and built so that when Mickey slays Malificent/puts out the fire on the lake he walks out a bit onto the lagoon...that's the main reason our soundtrack has that extra bit compared to the Disneyland version where in the actual show he raises the perimeter ring of fountains around the stage. The equipment was constructed and the effect at least tried out. Supposedly today you can see the bit of lake that doesn't catch fire - but I've never noticed it. I'm pretty sure that track on the soundtrack was even titled "Mickey walks on water" on the original album. Unfortunately I don't have it lying around anymore to check.

As to why the effect was ultimately removed before the show debuted I suppose it's possible it just didn't work too well, but the story I've always heard was that pressure from members of a specific religion were less than thrilled with what the effect could be interpreted as implying.

All the above comes info comes from a friend who was part of the original design team so take from it what you will. I have no way of otherwise verifying it - though I have no reason to doubt.

Last edited:

Crazydisneyfanluke

Oh. Yeah the show was designed and built so that when Mickey slays Malificent/puts out the fire on the lake he walks out a bit onto the lagoon...that's the main reason our soundtrack has that extra bit compared to the Disneyland version where in the actual show he raises the perimeter ring of fountains around the stage. The equipment was constructed and the effect at least tried out. Supposedly today you can see the bit of lake that doesn't catch fire - but I've never noticed it. I'm pretty sure that track on the soundtrack was even titled "Mickey walks on water" on the original album. Unfortunately I don't have it lying around anymore to check.

As to why the effect was ultimately removed before the show debuted I suppose it's possible it just didn't work too well, but the story I've always heard was that pressure from members of a specific religion were less than thrilled with what the effect could be interpreted as implying.

All the above comes info comes from a friend who was part of the original design team so take from it what you will. I have no way of otherwise verifying it - though I have no reason to doubt.
Martin did. ;) Thanks!

doctornick

I thought Avatar was opening in 2017?

Yes. And how is that inconsistent with what is noted by wdwmagic in the article:

An opening in March 2016 will put the show opening just under a year ahead of the new AVATAR land currently under construction.

I'm a bit surprised that it will be that long before this opens. Without the MJJ parade, there is going to be a lack of things to do to keep people in the park for most of the day for the next 2 years. As is, there is a mass exodus after the parade ends (typically 4pm until close is a very light period every day for DAK). Outside of the new bird performance on Discovery Island, is anything else planned to help occupy guests during the day? Is a new parade even being considered?

Kman101

They've been saying Rivers of Light would open before Pandora.

I'm just personally anxious for it so I wish it were next year, but I think they also want to time it with the 45th of MK (which is in 2016). So they can say hey, here's a new offering! Just my speculation of course.

At least we have a rough estimate of when it should open.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes. And how is that inconsistent with what is noted by wdwmagic in the article:

I'm a bit surprised that it will be that long before this opens. Without the MJJ parade, there is going to be a lack of things to do to keep people in the park for most of the day for the next 2 years. As is, there is a mass exodus after the parade ends (typically 4pm until close is a very light period every day for DAK). Outside of the new bird performance on Discovery Island, is anything else planned to help occupy guests during the day? Is a new parade even being considered?
I think they probably look at it the other way. For the next 2 years we don't need to keep the park open late just for the night show. Without Avatarland and the night safari there is limited stuff to do after sundown. Ramp the show up for the summer before AvatarLand opens.

This also makes me wonder if Avland could open in phases like FLE. If the completion date is early 2017 they could open part of Avland around the same time as the start of the parade with maybe the e-ticket opening last.

doctornick

And they could likely (again, my speculation) have it open next year but that means not spreading the cost out over 2 years.

I'm certain this could open in 2015 if Disney wanted to. I think spreading out the costs certainly is a big part of the plan as well as being able to hype this (+ the nighttime safari) as a big new opening for 2016.

Obviously, Rivers of Light opening is going to mean longer hours for DAK, into the evening. The 2016 opening date allows for enough time that they could open up small smaller attractions by then as well to support the longer hours and increase capacity; but I'm not holding my breath. Would be nice if they added a smaller dark ride or flat ride to the park by then at least.

I'm just personally anxious for it so I wish it were next year, but I think they also want to time it with the 45th of MK (which is in 2016). So they can say hey, here's a new offering! Just my speculation of course.

I have a feeling that the replacement for Wishes will open in 2016 and be advertised as part of the 45th anniversary.

Last edited:

doctornick

I'm Confused I thought the Rivers of light will be in the same Year of Avatar land.:confused:

No, there was never any specific plans for that to happen, even though both Rivers of Light and some more details about Pandora were advertised at the Tokyo D23 event. In fact, it was generally implied for a while that Rivers of Light would open before Pandora. They were always two independent projects that were happening in the same park. If anything, I'm surprised they are waiting until 2016 for Rivers of Light instead of going for 2015.

JEANYLASER

thank you doctornick for the info! But I wonder that why it is so long for Rivers of Light and Avatar in different years to open.

flyerjab

Concerning this project does this also include work on the massive Tree of Life on Discovery Island?

In the artwork in the background, it appears that the tree is glowing. Is that accurate? Are show effects/enhancements being added?

Kman101

I was under the impression they were going to be replacing the branches/leaves but I could be wrong in that. So that takes time. And then they have to build/build-up whatever they plan on doing for the crowds to watch the show, so I can see it taking SOME time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom