New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Next Big Thing

I think they probably look at it the other way. For the next 2 years we don't need to keep the park open late just for the night show. Without Avatarland and the night safari there is limited stuff to do after sundown. Ramp the show up for the summer before AvatarLand opens.

This also makes me wonder if Avland could open in phases like FLE. If the completion date is early 2017 they could open part of Avland around the same time as the start of the parade with maybe the e-ticket opening last.
Because opening in phases worked so great for FLE...

DinoInstitute

I was under the impression they were going to be replacing the branches/leaves but I could be wrong in that. So that takes time. And then they have to build/build-up whatever they plan on doing for the crowds to watch the show, so I can see it taking SOME time.
Actually, I was too- like shown in the picture below as part of the show, but I wonder if they are still going along with whats in that image.....?
disney-avatar3_verge_super_wide.jpg

flyerjab

Actually, I was too- like shown in the picture below as part of the show, but I wonder if they are still going along with whats in that image.....?

Actually, if you go back and look closely at the latest concept art of the Rivers of Light, the Tree is lit up in the back of that picture as well. Really hoping they keep that within the scope of the project since (1) the tree definitely needs work, and (2) it would look really awesome!

MarkTwain

I'm betting they will. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Rohde (or whoever) is planning to the nighttime show as an excuse to go in and replace the branches so guests can walk along the trails again, while also adding lighting for nighttime atsmophere and use in RoL.

doctornick

Yeah, I don't think opening in phases in a good idea for Pandora as a land -- it should be all at once (which I fully expect will happen). But there's no reason for the Rivers of Light show to not open earlier if it is available.

I was under the impression they were going to be replacing the branches/leaves but I could be wrong in that. So that takes time.

Which brings up a question of mine.... It's not entirely clear to me if there will just be the Rivers of Light show and the lighting on the ToL and live performers will be part of that or if the Rivers of Light show is separate from the performances on Discovery Island.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

No, total train wreck. Doesn't mean they won't do it. I really, really hope they don't, but if they think it can make them more money they might. I think especially a land live Pandora needs to be opened all at once. Having the boat ride and restaurant open but not the e-ticket would not work IMHO.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah, I don't think opening in phases in a good idea for Pandora as a land -- it should be all at once (which I fully expect will happen). But there's no reason for the Rivers of Light show to not open earlier if it is available.

Which brings up a question of mine.... It's not entirely clear to me if there will just be the Rivers of Light show and the lighting on the ToL and live performers will be part of that or if the Rivers of Light show is separate from the performances on Discovery Island.
I wonder if they will wait until the show starts in 2016 to start up the nighttime safaris too. I kinda think the show, night safari and live performers could be enough to occupy people at night. They still need more food options though for dinner.

DinoInstitute

OOH!
(off topic) -I just made the correlation, although someone probs brought it up already, that since they are rumored to be doing work to make a new crossway from Africa to Asia, do you think that the current path will be used in seating for RoL?

Sabriel

Concerning this project does this also include work on the massive Tree of Life on Discovery Island?

In the artwork in the background, it appears that the tree is glowing. Is that accurate? Are show effects/enhancements being added?

I hope so. Although my first thought was that if they can "value engineer" it, they'd paint the leaves and trunk with glow-in-the-dark paint and call it a day.:banghead:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What is going to be in the song for the Rivers of light and who is going to making the songs for the Rivers of Light?

This is a good question. Based on what little we know I would have to guess that this show will have at least some original music. No idea yet who will be composing it.

themonkeyisthesultan

Yes. And how is that inconsistent with what is noted by wdwmagic in the article:

I'm a bit surprised that it will be that long before this opens. Without the MJJ parade, there is going to be a lack of things to do to keep people in the park for most of the day for the next 2 years. As is, there is a mass exodus after the parade ends (typically 4pm until close is a very light period every day for DAK). Outside of the new bird performance on Discovery Island, is anything else planned to help occupy guests during the day? Is a new parade even being considered?
The parade is going away because construction on Discovery Island will make the parade route impossible to use. Expect new construction walls to go up the very next day. They keep saying new entertainment will be offered, but have given no specifics.

Kman101

I was thinking the 'street party' they are doing for Harambe Nights could be a test of a similar offering they might try in the future (in lieu of an actual parade).

They are going to need something to keep guests in the park between 3 and whenever they close, otherwise I still see people mass exiting the park and then just coming back for the Rivers of Light.

I'm also sure they'll have some dining options. I can't see how they wouldn't.

doctornick

The parade is going away because construction on Discovery Island will make the parade route impossible to use. Expect new construction walls to go up the very next day. They keep saying new entertainment will be offered, but have given no specifics.

Who are "they"? I haven't seen any indication of new entertainment (besides Rivers of Light, of course) by any sort of reputable source. Would love to hear any details.

Are you taking about stuff like "Winged Encounters" (the new macaw show on Discovery Island)? I mean, those kinds of things are good, but are nothing like the large scale entertainment offerings like parades/fireworks and the like.

My opinion is that DAK is really going to suffer after MJJ ends and before Rivers of Light begins -- and that will apparently be for almost 2 years. Without a large scale entertainment event to keep people in the park, a lot of folks are going to go to DAK in the morning and then leave early afternoon -- the parade currently keeps a lot of people hanging around to 4 o'clock or so. If people leave even earlier in the day, you won't get as much food/merch sales, which can't be good for the bottom line for TDO.

I can believe that changes to the route would make a parade impossible, but DAK needs something big during the day. And really needs that in addition to Rivers of Light to make it a "full day park" for most people (even with Pandora).

They are going to need something to keep guests in the park between 3 and whenever they close, otherwise I still see people mass exiting the park and then just coming back for the Rivers of Light.

Or we might see a new paradigm of people coming to DAK in the afternoon and staying to the evening for Rivers of Light. That might help Blizzard Beach's attendance, I guess.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

I wonder if they will wait until the show starts in 2016 to start up the nighttime safaris too. I kinda think the show, night safari and live performers could be enough to occupy people at night. They still need more food options though for dinner.
they will probably open a new restaurant in the Harambe area..(that will also do the food for the dinning narrated shows I suppose) and one in Pandora.
speaking of the narrated shows.. any news on that?

Next Big Thing

Or we might see a new paradigm of people coming to DAK in the afternoon and staying to the evening for Rivers of Light. That might help Blizzard Beach's attendance, I guess.
If something like that happens, it's only a good thing really. Right now, Disney needs to spread out nighttime crowds better among the parks. MK and and Epcot (until 9) are taking on most of the guests right now. If DAK can start to attract a lot more guests nightly for Rivers of Light, the other parks should theoretically be less busy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
they will probably open a new restaurant in the Harambe area..(that will also do the food for the dinning narrated shows I suppose) and one in Pandora.
speaking of the narrated shows.. any news on that?

A new restaurant in Africa would be welcome. The Pandora one might be cool too, but would not be open in time for the night show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom