New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

SpectroMan93

I personally think "Celebrate the Magic" is a wonderful show and a win out of the shows you named.
It's not bad by any means, the projection technology and mapping is very impressive. But the show itself just feels like a hodge-podge of Disney movies with no real unifying story. I thought "The Magic, the Memories, and You" was the better of the two. For me, Disney does their best work when they are able to move people. Shows like Fantasmic, Wishes, Disney Dreams, World of Color are well loved because they combine the spectacle with the heart, leaving you feeling amazed and touched by the end. If they can remember that for Rivers of Light, it will be an incredible show.

Sevier

Awesome to see a new nighttime spectacular coming! Rivers of Light looks like it will stand up well on it's own, not just in comparison to the atrocity that is Universal's nighttime "spectacular."

Skippy's Pal

In my opinon, the nets around the ToL are a perfect microcosm of everything that is wrong with TDO these days. TDO knows there is a structural problem with the Tree of Life. Instead of fixing the issue, they apply a "temporary" fix by putting up all the nets and fences. Another example where show quality gets pushed aside for the budget. There is nothing inherently wrong with putting up the nets if they were there temporarily until a full refurb could be done; but, it has been years now. That is what is rotten in Orlando these days - temporary becomes permanent. Short term wins out of the long term.

I was being facitious earlier when I said "heavy LEDs" requiring the ToL to get refurbed. We all know that won't be the case as LEDs are lightweight. I'm sure TDO will put the refurb under the guise of reinforcing the ToL for the new show. If you believe that, then there is time share and wrist band they'd love to sell you too.

My fear is that the nets will stay and the paths around the Tree will remain closed as we know from history, once Disney taketh it rarely returneth.

This should be inscribed on parchment and FedExed to Iger.

deix15x8

I wonder if they will bring elements of the Epcot Tapestry of Nations parade to this. When I saw it in 2000 and again in 2001 I thought it felt more suited for Animal Kingdom than Epcot, so it would be perfect. It had all of the neat instruments that could act as the "live music" playing from the path all around the area during the show. It would certainly help immerse the crowd into the show experience like no other one currently does.

I still remember how cool that parade combined with Illuminations was back then. It was like a crazy street party and celebration that no other park could come close to. Now I personally thought Illuminations fell a little flat this last time. It was still nice, but lacked the same level of energy and excitement.

ToTBellHop

I was thinking this too, I hope it succeeds. WDI shouldn't have to depend so heavily on a single Imagineer for a field as large as entertainment.
Agreed. And I know it is sacrilege to say, but I have not been head over heals in love with everything from Davison (most of his work is fantastic). There are shows on property now that I think are fantastic that are not from Davison.

RSoxNo1

That puzzles me.
I've been told for years (by people who should know) that the WoC system wouldn't work in Discovery River due to water quality issues.

I wonder if that changed, or if they plan to do some major infrastructure work to that lake....
What in that photo indicates that they're going to put a World of Color system in that river? I'm expecting moving mist screens in some combination of Fantasmic and Illumination's water.

WDWLover#1

Agreed. And I know it is sacrilege to say, but I have not been head over heals in love with everything from Davison (most of his work is fantastic). There are shows on property now that I think are fantastic that are not from Davison.
I'd love to hear more of your opinion behind his shows from someone who loves his work. Interesting to see a different point of view.

NoChesterHester

I wonder if they will bring elements of the Epcot Tapestry of Nations parade to this. When I saw it in 2000 and again in 2001 I thought it felt more suited for Animal Kingdom than Epcot, so it would be perfect. It had all of the neat instruments that could act as the "live music" playing from the path all around the area during the show. It would certainly help immerse the crowd into the show experience like no other one currently does.

I still remember how cool that parade combined with Illuminations was back then. It was like a crazy street party and celebration that no other park could come close to. Now I personally thought Illuminations fell a little flat this last time. It was still nice, but lacked the same level of energy and excitement.

Probably because it is 15 years old now.

ToTBellHop

I'd love to hear more of your opinion behind his shows from someone who loves his work. Interesting to see a different point of view.
Firework shows like Wishes (to me) have pacing issues and a nonsensical yet predictable plot. It's a great show but IllumiNations is more stirring and meaningful.

And then there were the disasters Eureka! and LuminAria.

Festival of Fantasy is wonderful.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Eric Tucker is a bit well known too. One of his shows seems rather well liked.

Rob562

As far as I know nobody has mentioned a specific location, but the area in the picture below looks like it could accommodate some seating. Also, the location of the Tree of Life in the concept art is consistent with this location.

ak-clip-jpg.52419

I don't know if it was earlier in this conversation or in another one, but I put forward the idea of terraced viewing areas covered with artificial turf. Make them look something like terraced tea fields (which I think was what they were going for in the small area near the bridge between EE and the Nemo theater). The artificial turf won't get worn away by Guests like real grass would, but it would look green and nice the rest of the time.

Basically they'd look like the viewing areas for WoC, but grassy.

If they needed railings between sections and could keep the viewing areas closed during the day, they could install pop-up railings that stayed hidden during the day to keep the view open, but rose up before they opened the area to Guests for the show.

-Rob

ToTBellHop

I don't know if it was earlier in this conversation or in another one, but I put forward the idea of terraced viewing areas covered with artificial turf. Make them look something like terraced tea fields (which I think was what they were going for in the small area near the bridge between EE and the Nemo theater). The artificial turf won't get worn away by Guests like real grass would, but it would look green and nice the rest of the time.

Basically they'd look like the viewing areas for WoC, but grassy.

If they needed railings between sections and could keep the viewing areas closed during the day, they could install pop-up railings that stayed hidden during the day to keep the view open, but rose up before they opened the area to Guests for the show.

-Rob
The concept art seems to show seating.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As far as I know nobody has mentioned a specific location, but the area in the picture below looks like it could accommodate some seating. Also, the location of the Tree of Life in the concept art is consistent with this location.

ak-clip-jpg.52419
I wonder if there is anywhere they can squeeze in a table service restaurant with a big patio or deck overlooking the show? If they want us to stay until 9PM we have to eat somewhere. Leveraging off of the EPCOT idea of having waterfront dining with views of the show would likely be wildly popular.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom