New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Crazydisneyfanluke

If they continue to add great entertainment and rides to AK i might see myself going back there. The problem for me was it was basically Busch gardens with out the rides.... Now if they do the same to DHS and plus up EPCOT, i might consider getting AP.

doctornick

This is very promising.

Hoping it's an 100% character-free show. Could be extremely unique and beautiful fit in the park.
(And not an "animal movies world of color")

I would prepare to be disappointed. Not that I think this will be all Disney cartoon animals, but I would be pretty surprised if there wasn't a healthy dose of Disney animation shown. But I also hope the Disney Nature stuff is a backbone of the show.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I just noticed that the description of this show said "live music". I assume that means live performers as opposed to recorded music?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This is very promising.

Hoping it's an 100% character-free show. Could be extremely unique and beautiful fit for the park.
(And not an "animal movies world of color")
I would not hold your breath. 100% character free did not work for Epcot and I would not expect them to make that mistake again.

CJR

I am excited for this, regardless if it will use animation or not.

First off, animation is the backbone of the company, in my opinion. Without animation, Disney would have never existed, as we know it. I realize that doesn't create an excuse for animation to be in everything, but even if it is, is that really going to ruin it? How about a glass half-full approach, eh?

Second, this show is an actual addition to the park. It's going into an already existing lagoon area and, if anything, will bring cosmetic improvements around the area.

Consider it a win that otherwise wouldn't have occurred. Even if you don't like the show, it'll create something else for people to do while you go out and do something else that you love to do. Think of it as fewer people who will be standing in front of you in line.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The park, yes, but IllumiNations is 100% character free.
I still would not expect it. Illuminations is a hold over from a different time. This show looks to have video segments in line with Fantasmic! and World of Color so I fully expect the Lion King, Nemo and others to at least make appearances. I would love it if they didn't, but I am not even going to venture hope that there will not be some characters in the show.

gboiler1

The park will really have to stay open late in the summer to take advantage of new night time offerings. I'm sure Lion King & Nemo will include more shows as well.

Nice to finally see Disney ramping up again to give visitors new attractions to experiencing.

sponono88

Hopefully this will be a totally new unique show! Maybe better than WOC.

I'm a bit wary about making those comparisons this early.. Only because WoC is primarily a fountain show, and the Rivers of Light art seems to indicate a focus on mist screens and live performers, sans fountains.

flynnibus

Premium Member
WoC basically needs pool quality water correct?

They used a mix of both water pumped in and water pumps right there in the lagoon. The water is treated, but is in no way lagoon quality :) The difference seems to be for the main water screens they use the pumps from out of the lagoon (and maybe additional screening/filtering) while the fountains use pumps right there on the platform.

Kman101

Although no date or time frame was given (yet -- of course), Kalogridis said that the nighttime safari and Rivers of Light will debut before 2017.

SpectroMan93

Does anyone know if Steve Davison is still involved with Rivers of Light? I know he was a part of it when it was conceptualized as a parade, but considering it's been years since then and with no mention of his name in the article, I hope he isn't leaving it to TDO to create it.

Goofywilliam

Does anyone know if Steve Davison is still involved with Rivers of Light? I know he was a part of it when it was conceptualized as a parade, but considering it's been years since then and with no mention of his name in the article, I hope he isn't leaving it to TDO to create it.
I remember reading on his Facebook page that he is not involved with this new show.

SpectroMan93

What is the second project that Davison is involved in (besides Festival of Fantasy)?
Right now he's in Tokyo working on Once Upon A Time, the projection show for their castle. Shame that he isn't heading this project. When the recent entertainment projects in Orlando without him include MISICI, Countdown to Fun, Celebrate the Magic, and Disney Channel Rocks, it's hard to have confidence in their abilities.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom