New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

No Name

Month and a half since last update was supposed to be made. Radio silence.

In the meantime, guests have voted with their feet and said no to nighttime hours at DAK.

That's two reasons to believe that. But I guess Pixie Dust is a hell of a drug.

On April 5th, the Disney Parks Blog announced the delay of Rivers of Light and said, "We’ll share more information about timing on the Disney Parks Blog by mid- to late May." Note the word by. On April 19th, they fulfilled that promise by letting us know that The Jungle Book: Alive with Magic would be created and would perform while Rivers of Light's issues were being worked out.

They sure did update us. Maybe not in the way you wanted or expected, but they did. And all of the other AK nighttime entertainment has been generally well-recieved, so unless you can get the numbers to prove it, I can't agree that they have voted no to AK nighttime hours. So neither of your reasons are strong, but I will come back at you with two strong reasons:

The Jungle Book: Alive with Magic is a very labor-intensive show. It is not cheap to run each night. Therefore, Disney surely has an itch to get Rivers of Light running, as it'll actually more than likely save them money.

Disney's website still has a whole page for RoL under Disney's Animal Kingdom Park at Night, titled Rivers of Light - Coming Soon! Moreover, the Jungle Book show is still described as a "limited-time" offering.

Those are two actual reasons in favor or RoL still coming. :)

Jeremy Geertsema

On April 5th, the Disney Parks Blog announced the delay of Rivers of Light and said, "We’ll share more information about timing on the Disney Parks Blog by mid- to late May." Note the word by. On April 19th, they fulfilled that promise by letting us know that The Jungle Book: Alive with Magic would be created and would perform while Rivers of Light's issues were being worked out.

They sure did update us. Maybe not in the way you wanted or expected, but they did. And all of the other AK nighttime entertainment has been generally well-recieved, so unless you can get the numbers to prove it, I can't agree that they have voted no to AK nighttime hours. So neither of your reasons are strong, but I will come back at you with two strong reasons:

The Jungle Book: Alive with Magic is a very labor-intensive show. It is not cheap to run each night. Therefore, Disney surely has an itch to get Rivers of Light running, as it'll actually more than likely save them money.

Disney's website still has a whole page for RoL under Disney's Animal Kingdom Park at Night, titled Rivers of Light - Coming Soon! Moreover, the Jungle Book show is still described as a "limited-time" offering.

Those are two actual reasons in favor or RoL still coming. :)
Well said!

TheHiddenMickey

If any ones curious, here's a simple take of the setup to Rivers of Light.

7J34rIz.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I suppose we can just imagine they had to find alternatives to that GPS guidance system.
So they will need to redo the entire technology side (movement, programming, etc..) to handle a new system.

Theoretically GPS was not a bad choice because it made the show vehicles usable anywhere and allowed the show to be changed readily, Unfortunately Imagineering is a portmanteau of Imagination and Engineering and the engineering was not done correctly, I'm sure the show itself was surveyed using GPS and the special choke ring antennas which are used in urban areas to allow GPS survey work.

But it appears nobody bothered to test with the GPS receivers which would actually be used which I assume are the Raymarine or similar GPS 'pucks' used for maritime autopilot use the world over. It would have been easy to test just put the GPS system in a jonboat and see how it works. That would have shown that using a conventional GPS would not provide a reliable fix, Heck in the 'Rivers' area of AK the shoe mount GPS on my Nikon has a hard time getting a lock.

KLeigh

I was adding things to my itinerary for my Sept 5-13 trip, and Jungle Book has no times available. Think ROL will be up and running by then?

Ripken10

I was adding things to my itinerary for my Sept 5-13 trip, and Jungle Book has no times available. Think ROL will be up and running by then?
Jungle Book show was only offered to Sept 5th, and it has never been working properly for Sept 5th. It is not an indication of anything at this point. Just same as it was before.

TTA94

I wonder if JB will be extended past Sept 5th should RoL not be ready?Somehow I feel they will cut JB and go back to DAK closing early until RoL and Avatar opens next year.. Just speculating lol.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom