New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

prfctlyximprct

It's so hard to believe that a show that was going to open on April 22nd could have THIS much wrong with it to not even warrant an update. Makes me so sad. I don't even care to see the Jungle Book crap, I'm that bitter.

Bolt

I know RoL will open when it's ready... But I wish Disney would officially say Fall or later so it eliminates everyone's hope of thinking there's a chance of it opening this summer. I have a hard time believing they Don't have any clue on when it Could be ready as far as short term or long term.
Not sure why we think this is summer at all when there are published dates for Jungle Book in September.

disney4life2008

Finally checked out the new night time offerings. Back when Animal kingdom had extra magic hours, i loved the park at night. Now on to my review.

Festival of the lion king was amazing as usual lol.

Night time safari was good but I would not wait more than 20 minutes in line. I rode twice, 2 different times, was not impressive. Everything seemed so forced and made up. The fake sunset was a bore, and my driver made it seem more like a haunted safari than anything. On the flip side, there were several animals that blocked us from moving that was fun. And the lions were up and walking. The fake nature sounds, music, all was just bad. Would i do night safari again? It wasn't what I thought.

Next up was jungle book. Where do i begin? First, the rows, aisles, space between rows are horribly made. Did i mention uncomfortable! I did standby and was treated to a cm who screamed for 35 minutes to get the crowd active. Finally the show begin. I felt like i was in a nightmare after eating too much Indian food. Everything seems out of place, the cms dancing, some playing instruments looking like they are on the side of the road in los Angeles, cms dancing in the aisle literally next to you. It was all just bad. The water screens were horrible, you can't see anything. To compare this tragedy to fotlk is outright disrespect. Those are true performers. Granted, they crossover between shows. But the disaster i witnessed tonight takes the cake. The guy who comes out and sings the finale needs to check out. Over half of the cms looked bored (maybe embarrassed) to even be performing in the show. By the time it was over, i bolted, it was hot and the tragic show gave me a headache.

Finally, i caught the tree of life show. Unless i missed something there was no show? Looking at animals come to live by projection is not anything spectacular. And i stood there a good 20 minutes for a few animals to come to life. Im confused but perhaps there is another show on the tree i missed because this was just as a tragedy as jungle book.

I am severely underwhelmed at the new entertainment. The only bright side, I got my chicken nuggets and they were amazing.

MagicHappens1971

Finally checked out the new night time offerings. Back when Animal kingdom had extra magic hours, i loved the park at night. Now on to my review.

Night time safari was good but I would not wait more than 20 minutes in line. I rode twice, 2 different times, was not impressive. Everything seemed so forced and made up. The fake sunset was a bore, and my driver made it seem more like a haunted safari than anything. On the flip side, there were several animals that blocked us from moving that was fun. And the lions were up and walking. The fake nature sounds, music, all was just bad. Would i do night safari again? It wasn't what I thought.

Next up was jungle book. Where do i begin? First, the rows, aisles, space between rows are horribly made. Did i mention uncomfortable! I did standby and was treated to a cm who screamed for 35 minutes to get the crowd active. Finally the show begin. I felt like i was in a nightmare after eating too much Indian food. Everything seems out of place, the cms dancing, some playing instruments looking like they are on the side of the road in los Angeles, cms dancing in the aisle literally next to you. It was all just bad. The water screens were horrible, you can't see anything. To compare this tragedy to fotlk is outright disrespect. Those are true performers. Granted, they crossover between shows. But the disaster i witnessed tonight takes the cake. The guy who comes out and sings the finale needs to check out. Over half of the cms looked bored (maybe embarrassed) to even be performing in the show. By the time it was over, i bolted, it was hot and the tragic show gave me a headache.

Finally, i caught the tree of life show. Unless i missed something there was no show? Looking at animals come to live by projection is not anything spectacular. And i stood there a good 20 minutes for a few animals to come to life. Im confused but perhaps there is another show on the tree i missed because this was just as a tragedy as jungle book.

I am severely underwhelmed at the new entertainment. The only bright side, I got my chicken nuggets and they were amazing.
Tree of Life awakens is not intended to be a show, it's always been described as a short and spontaneous magic that happens to the tree. Throughout the night certain animals come to life and then they play one of the four different 5 minute sequences. And the Discovery Island Carnivale is really upbeat and fun to dance with.

disney4life2008

Tree of Life awakens is not intended to be a show, it's always been described as a short and spontaneous magic that happens to the tree. Throughout the night certain animals come to life and then they play one of the four different 5 minute sequences. And the Discovery Island Carnivale is really upbeat and fun to dance with.

Well the tree of life sequence is a bore. Interesting, but a waste of time. I dont think i saw the disvoery island carnivale.

flyerjab

image.jpeg

We were just at DAK to experience the night time vibe.

The positives:
The ToL show was excellent. Very truncated episodic shows that were both emotional and beautiful to experience. The Sunset Safari was also nice as it was a different way to experience a very familiar attraction. The play of the lionesses was worth it alone as they were scampering around like our cats do at home. And that was the first time I saw the male actually moving around. The atmosphere of the park at night also has this haunted quality about it - except for Dinoland, a part of the park that I think actually benefits from a nighttime setting. The Harambe and Discovery Island entertainment is always good for atmosphere, but that is where it ends.

The negatives:
African parties and performers are nice and all, but that is all that they amount to - a nice addition. It is not like they are extra rides that open at night. Too much closes down at night which is also not good. And the Jungle Book show to me is unwatchable. We watched some from the bridge and it did not change my opinion. We need RoL to get fixed pronto.

Last edited:

Rider

Yes it sounds like you missed the actual "shows" at the tree of life. There are four short segments of animation and music every 15-20 minutes. One with Disney films, one with a fox, one with a deer, and one with a humming bird. In between the tree is lit and occasionally one of the animals on the tree moves a little bit, which it sounds like is the only thing you saw.

I saw Jungle Book for the first time last night and I have to disagree with you. The performers were all great and the singers were amazing. I actually think the water curtains worked really well last night (10:30 show) and didn't have the issues reported earlier with the larger curtain losing picture in the middle due to the water blowing away.

The only thing I'll say is that it could be a little shorter. They go through almost the entire story of the movie... they might have been better cutting it down to just the songs like FotLK does.

Bolt

View attachment 145719

The positives:
The ToL show was excellent. Very truncated episodic shows that were both emotional and beautiful to experience. The Sunset Safari was also nice as it was a different way to experience a very familiar attraction. The play of the lionesses was worth it alone as they were scampering around like our cats do at home. And that was the first time I saw the male actually moving around. The atmosphere of the park at night also has this haunted quality about it - except for Dinoland, a part of the park that I think actually benefits from a nighttime setting. The Harambe and Discovery Island entertainment is always good for atmosphere, but that is where it ends.

The negatives:
African parties and performers are nice and all, but that is all that they amount to - a nice addition. It is not like they are extra rides that open at night. Too much closes down at night which is also not good. And the Lion King show to me is unwatchable. We watched some from the bridge and it did not change my opinion. We need RoL to get fixed pronto.
I assume you mean The Jungle Book show because Lion King is great.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
View attachment 145719

The positives:

The negatives:
African parties and performers are nice and all, but that is all that they amount to - a nice addition. It is not like they are extra rides that open at night. Too much closes down at night which is also not good. And the Jungle Book show to me is unwatchable. We watched some from the bridge and it did not change my opinion. We need RoL to get fixed pronto.

Great feedback! I assume from bridge comment you're talking about Jungle Book "Alive with Magic"... Cool picture too!

flyerjab

Great feedback! I assume from bridge comment you're talking about Jungle Book "Alive with Magic"... Cool picture too!

Thanks. :)

That picture is from the yeti shrine. If you are walking towards EE at night and the water screens are running, that shot is available to anyone.

And I would like to add that although I am negative on the show, I am certain that everyone in the show is giving it their all. I just don't like it as an option.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
Thanks. :)

That picture is from the yeti shrine. If you are walking towards EE at night and the water screens are running, that shot is available to anyone.

And I would like to add that although I am negative on the show, I am certain that everyone in the show is giving it their all. I just don't like it as an option.

Couldn't agree more. On right scale / venue (smaller) it would be impressive. But a lot of what the performers are doing is lost in that particular space.

TTA94

Well I guess we can squash that July 4th rumor. Unless they plan to only give a week or so notice that's it's opening...

Wouldn't surprise me if they wait to tie RoL into a potential resort wide 45th Anniversary promotion.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom