New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I am not trying to be rude, but are you this negative about everything in your life or just Disney. I agree that Disney showed some really bad judgment publishing an opening date they could not meet, but it is not the end of the "world". All indications are they will fix it and get the new show open sometime this year. If I hated Disney as much as you I would just stop going this web site and wasting so much time. Maybe it time for you to find something else to fill your day.

Boo, Hoo, Hoo, If you want a criticism free view of Disney I suggest the DELTA-SIERRA-INDIA Board. And from a quick read of the tea leaves it looks like Disney is hiring CM's for a longer run of JB and after september there are no extended hours.

ABQ

Boo, Hoo, Hoo, If you want a criticism free view of Disney I suggest the DELTA-SIERRA-INDIA Board. And from a quick read of the tea leaves it looks like Disney is hiring CM's for a longer run of JB and after september there are no extended hours.
That would be Delta-India-Sierra. Jeeze, the poor show quality is even carrying over to the writing skills here, can't keep letters in order. :p:p:p

jakeman

I think, overall, criticism based in facts from you would be a welcome change. This really isn't the topic to be captain call out on your posting style because there is a modicum of truth to the pessimism surrounding this topic, but one doesn't have to look far to see that your current agitation with TWDC is mostly founded on pithy fabrication. In fact, you were beating the drum of this being an additionally ticketed event until you were repeatedly warned by the owner of this site to stop. You also claim and have not been able to prove that a central kitchen produces main courses on property and you are unable to source the journals that supposedly provide insight into the changing manufacturing relationship regarding AA development. These last two were just in the past 24 hours.

So the issue isn't your rampant negativity. In many cases it's well placed. The issue is that you are a habitual liar.

twebber55

I think, overall, criticism based in facts from you would be a welcome change. This really isn't the topic to be captain call out on your posting style because there is a modicum of truth to the pessimism surrounding this topic, but one doesn't have to look far to see that your current agitation with TWDC is mostly founded on pithy fabrication. In fact, you were beating the drum of this being an additionally ticketed event until you were repeatedly warned by the owner of this site to stop. You also claim and have not been able to prove that a central kitchen produces main courses on property and you are unable to source the journals that supposedly provide insight into the changing manufacturing relationship regarding AA development. These last two were just in the past 24 hours.

So the issue isn't your rampant negativity. In many cases it's well placed. The issue is that you are a habitual liar.
drop the mic Jake
trying to decide who my favorite poster is on this board
between you @rioriz and @BrianLo

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member

I think that this is the best post I have every read on the subject of all of the posting by ford91exploder. He says that I do not want to hear anything "but criticism free view of Disney"; which is not true. I just want the criticism to be based in some facts of the subject. All we get from ford91exploder is ranting about Disney and how it is going out of business. I love to read fact based discussions giving the pros and cons of any issue. Once again thank you for your great posting.

wdwfan22

I don't think Rivers of Light will ever be presented the way they originally intended the show to be presented. I do believe eventually you will see a show with the name of Rivers of Light but not until Avatar arrives in 2017.

Slowjack

As a whole it seems like nighttime at AK was launched prematurely, or without enough care. Obviously, if RoL shows up and is a crowd pleaser, that improves things but I don't think it fixes them, especially since the venue has such a small capacity. The night safari looks largely to be a bust, which doesn't surprise me, since Disney's own promo video of the attraction focused on reaction shots of people riding the truck, not what they were actually seeing. The Tree of Life lighting, in a busy park with lots to do, would function as they intended, a cool "plus" thing you might catch, but in a relatively sparse park, has to serve as an attraction itself and suffers by comparison. And I'm disappointed that they didn't spend more effort and care on lighting the park.

I think they wanted to recreate the post-7-PM Epcot vibe, where people are largely eating, drinking, and just hanging out in World Showcase until Illuminations begins. But of course Illuminations is a huge show that everyone can watch at once, and World Showcase was designed, from the start, for nighttime enjoyment. In AK, they seem to be trying to do it on the cheap, with a smaller show (whether that's RoL or JB) and a sprinkling of street entertainment, in a park that was originally conceived to close at dusk.

In hindsight, they may have been better served waiting until Pandora opened, making a huge splash as AK 2.0, with more time and more budget spent on really thinking about how they might have built AK to be a night park if they had started with that idea, instead of trying to do a cheap makeover.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I don't understand the recent casting call for JB if RoL is, hopefully still, opening soon :-/
I'm starting to lose track of how many times I've said this, but RoL will open when its ready, and not until. Disney therefore needs to continue with its contingency plan. And that includes making sure they have performers for the current interim show.

Don't read too much into every detail.

skimbob

I am curious if they used RFID technology for the ROL floats. They used that technology on Luigi at DCA and they had a hard time getting it to work properly initially. I guess they can't use the remote controls they were using when the CMs were actually on the floats. The range at the control booth must be too far away. They will get it sorted out sooner or later and once it is fixed I think we will all love it. As far as the interim show goes I think they should have just waited for ROL. With Festival of the Lion King and Nemo onsite they have two of the best shows Disney has produced. I would do evening performances of both and drop the interim show.

jrhwdw

I believe the damaged thing was debunked as a rumor that wasn't true
Yes, but don't we still have GPS issues? Can that be fixed in AK, or does it need to be shipped out of AK in order to be fixed? What about the big Lotus?
Hopefully our insiders will have good news before the Parks Blog does!

MagicHappens1971

Yes, but don't we still have GPS issues? Can that be fixed in AK, or does it need to be shipped out of AK in order to be fixed? What about the big Lotus?
Hopefully our insiders will have good news before the Parks Blog does!
Yes there are the GPS issues, I was just making my comment regarding the damaged part. I doubt they were shipped out but I guess it could be a possibility

oceanbreeze77

I'm starting to lose track of how many times I've said this, but RoL will open when its ready, and not until. Disney therefore needs to continue with its contingency plan. And that includes making sure they have performers for the current interim show.

Don't read too much into every detail.
While this is true, this is possibly a sign of a long stay for JB. The audition isn't for another week and a half and IDK about how it works at WDW, but here at DL once hired in you must go through traditions/training which could easily take up to a month based on what dept you are hired into. Then add on rehearsal time and approval time and you're easily approaching 2ish months.

180º

While this is true, this is possibly a sign of a long stay for JB. The audition isn't for another week and a half and IDK about how it works at WDW, but here at DL once hired in you must go through traditions/training which could easily take up to a month based on what dept you are hired into. Then add on rehearsal time and approval time and you're easily approaching 2ish months.
Many they will cast from that audition will be existing Entertainment CMs, although for the remaining new hires you're correct. Regardless of the long hiring process, Steve's right, and cast members can always be moved around. They'll just have to prepare for all possibilities as long as Rivers of Light is up in the air.

TTA94

I know RoL will open when it's ready... But I wish Disney would officially say Fall or later so it eliminates everyone's hope of thinking there's a chance of it opening this summer. I have a hard time believing they Don't have any clue on when it Could be ready as far as short term or long term.

MagicHappens1971

I know RoL will open when it's ready... But I wish Disney would officially say Fall or later so it eliminates everyone's hope of thinking there's a chance of it opening this summer. I have a hard time believing they Don't have any clue on when it Could be ready as far as short term or long term.
I'm sure they have a goal time or even an estimated time that it'll be ready, but I can't see them publically stating it until it is 100% ready.

TTA94

I'm sure they have a goal time or even an estimated time that it'll be ready, but I can't see them publically stating it until it is 100% ready.

I know. I just think they should give us at least a small update. Maybe in a week or two.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom