New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Lirael

Any chance RoL debuts by September?

I'm worried because the news about the Jungle Book placeholder is saying "Memorial Weekend May 2016 through the summer" and this will be my first trip to wdw in five years so I really want to catch RoL and nighttime offerings.

Jon81uk

Any chance RoL debuts by September?

I'm worried because the news about the Jungle Book placeholder is saying "Memorial Weekend May 2016 through the summer" and this will be my first trip to wdw in five years so I really want to catch RoL and nighttime offerings.

Exactly the same for me, I am going at the end of September for out first trip in sixyears and will be another five or six years until we visit again. RoL is the main thing that will be new since our last trip apart from BOG and Seven Dwarves. So it will be frustrating if the biggest new addition in years isn't open.

stretchsje

whats lost in all of this delay is the fact this show could become the best nighttime show in Orlando IMO
The score and animals seems so generic. Where's the emotion? I've grown more instantly attached to animals seen on YouTube than those in Rivers of Light.

Further, blurry water video screens are truly the low point of every show they're used in yet this show relies on them heavily. It's World of Color minus it's main attraction, the fountains, or Fantasmic minus the performers, pyrotechnics, and familiar I.P.

Have you seen Fantasmic in Disneyland? The Sailing Ship Columbia enters the scene loaded with performers and an epic sword fight ensues. It. Is. Awesome. I thought for sure Joe Rhode would've insisted on doing something of this level of spectacle, kind of a Festival of the Lion King but on a barge, to supplement the boring, inanimate props and water screens.

Maybe someone should get Jon Favreau on the phone, and not just for a Jungle Book interim show.

Last edited:

Jon81uk

The score and animals seems so generic. Where's the emotion? I've grown more instantly attached to animals seen on YouTube than those in Rivers of Light.

Further, blurry water video screens are truly the low point of every show they're used in yet this show relies on them heavily. It's World of Color minus it's main attraction, the fountains, or Fantasmic minus the performers, pyrotechnics, and familiar I.P.

Have you seen Fantasmic in Disneyland? The Sailing Ship Columbia enters the scene loaded with performers and an epic sword fight ensues. It. Is. Awesome. I thought for sure Joe Rhode would've insisted on doing something of this level of spectacle, kind of a Festival of the Lion King but on a barge, to supplement the boring, inanimate props and water screens.

They haven't been able to get the barges and boats to move reliably without crashing, this is why the show is delayed. Nobody knows what the actual show should look like, or will end up containing.

I expect the interim Jungle Book show will heavily relay on projections though.

twebber55

Maybe someone should get Jon Favreau on the phone, and not just for a Jungle Book interim show.
thanks for the input

FerretAfros

I'm glad that they're doing an interim show to allow themselves time to get ROL done correctly, while also giving summer guests something new. It seems like a great compromise

However, I really hope that the interim show doesn't have any impact on the permanent one. World of Color notoriously got retooled about 2 months before its debut, as a direct result of comments from Iger after seeing the essentially-finished product. The entire show was restructured, the host character was eliminated ("Little Squirt"), and some segments were dropped completely while others were added or extended in order to fit Iger's IP preferences. As a result, the show remained technically impressive, but was a complete storytelling and pacing mess.

I think Rivers of Light is the most exciting concept to come to a Disney park in many many years, so it would be a shame if they suddenly decided to tweak it to fill it with characters and over-used songs. The previews thus far seem to hold true to the original concept, and are very promising. I just hope that the concept doesn't get lost with some "improvements" that they decide to add as a result of the summer show

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm very afraid of the end result of this process, If the interim show packs em in Chappie will ensure that the interim show is all AK gets because of the immense budget pressures caused by the issues in China and Paris.
No, they are committed to RoL. There has been to much invested already to abort.

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
No, they are committed to RoL. There has been to much invested already to abort.
reason-crazy.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom