New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

lazyboy97o

Because they are not scrapping it, people are just prematurely freaking out.
It's hardly a wild proposition. Walt Disney Parks and Resorts is under extreme pressure to reduce costs. A broken, delayed, over budget show is a perfect poster child for what Chapek is trying to 'fix' within Disney's design culture. If a clip show can hit the right guest satisfaction marks (which it will if so desired), then what point is there to continuing to pour money into a non-"Disney" show? The only saving grace would be if Cameron was really into the show, which does seem like a strong possibility since the show even made it off the drawing boards.

TabulaRasa

It's hardly a wild proposition. Walt Disney Parks and Resorts is under extreme pressure to reduce costs. A broken, delayed, over budget show is a perfect poster child for what Chapek is trying to 'fix' within Disney's design culture. If a clip show can hit the right guest satisfaction marks (which it will if so desired), then what point is there to continuing to pour money into a non-"Disney" show? The only saving grace would be if Cameron was really into the show, which does seem like a strong possibility since the show even made it off the drawing boards.
I just don't think they would have gone to all the trouble of showcasing the show at all tonight if they were intending to ditch it. From a PR standpoint, why would they preview a show that they know will never make it to regular operations? Disney could have just focused in on the Tree of Life and other offerings in lieu of RoL. The show will come, it's just a matter of time.

lazyboy97o

I just don't think they would have gone to all the trouble of showcasing the show at all tonight if they were intending to ditch it. From a PR standpoint, why would they preview a show that they know will never make it to regular operations? Disney could have just focused in on the Tree of Life and other offerings in lieu of RoL. The show will come, it's just a matter of time.
You are assuming that Disney is far, far, far more coordinated than it is in actuality. I also said nothing about a decision having been made at the present, just that such a decision is not exactly unthinkable.

FigmentJedi

The preview didn't amount to much more than some projections and fountain effects. It seems this show has a long way to go before being ready, perhaps both creatively and technically.
The Shamans and apprentices were present too, but without their boats, they didn't really have much to do beyond briefly kicking off the preview
tumblr_o5wwf0SdOB1sa3t1go4_540.jpg

MatthewWho13

I hope this is ok to post here. From Dis (wdwinfo)This small sample of the show from tonight's preview suggests to me Rivers of Light has a lot of promise to be a beautiful show. Hopefully they get all the moving pieces to work.

Watching those 4 lotus flowers spin and then having that moment of realization that they set back in place properly and then have their own projection systems built in with a mini water mist screen.

I don't care that the show is behind, that alone is a ridiculous amount of tech. Yes Disney has the money and people but thats definitely not an easy feat from concept to reality. Just the video projections themselves, wireless cues, to those barges thats a lot.... Let them get it right, as a person that works in that field I will gladly wait. If the problem only lies in the GPS issues, then good on them.

WDWFANSINCE81

Get this right Disney. For Christ's sake get this right. I will cut you the slack to take the time necessary but please fricking deliver! You have left me hanging before with lackluster debuts but so far this looks top notch. Don't cut, minimize, scrape or shorten. Take the time to blow our hair back. You need a big win.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Very nice. It's bad though how close they are to pulling this off but not being able to yet.

Looking forward to visiting AK at night either way but not exactly excited about the jungle book show but I guess it's something...better than no show

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom