New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I almost wonder if they may have to drain the lake eventually to put the floats on guided rails. From all testing i've seen, they have had huge troubles controlling the floats with the GPS system.

It would based on where they are trying to use it due to a phenomenon known as GDOP or geometic dilution of precision, It's most pronounced in areas with high multipath (reflected signals) most people have been driving in the city when their GPS gets 'confused' well in most cases that's GDOP at work. But too often designers use GPS as the magic nav system in the sky without being aware of it's very real limitations like GDOP and other things which limit GPS repeatabililty.

GPS was a poor choice here as there was no need to be able to find position anywhere on the globe, What was needed was a simple inertial guidance system because whats needed is precise station keeping ability and navigating to a series of fixed points from a unchanging start position.

Amused to Death

Magnetic guideways are used for industrial robots that would have worked well too unless they have some kind of 'canal cleaner' which scrubs the bottom of the canal to keep it clean which would have the potential to dislocate the guide magnets.

My post was meant mostly in jest, of course. But if you were to construct some sort of magnetic guideway, a more robust version of magnetic tape on a factory floor, wouldn't it end up being much like an underwater rail? I would think it would be difficult to displace something that large.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
If the barge truly sunk, I just have no words.
image.jpeg
I found this weird plug thingy on the walkway near Nemo... Any ideas?
;)

Goofnut1980

I mean, didn't Disney use the puck system years ago on the streets, which worked just fine for parades. You can't tell me they couldn't have done something like that into the lagoon...They could have drained it and installed concrete just like Jungle Cruise and colored the water. I have no doubts they will not maintain the fountains and such, and all of that murky water will start to stain the equipment and even possibly have a smell to the water as it is being thrown into the air.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
My post was meant mostly in jest, of course. But if you were to construct some sort of magnetic guideway, a more robust version of magnetic tape on a factory floor, wouldn't it end up being much like an underwater rail? I would think it would be difficult to displace something that large.

Magnetic tape would still work as magnetic fields are unaffected by water

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom