New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
No it isn't budget cuts. This is causing Disney a major headache, so certainly isn't something they would want to happen.

The show can run on a limited basis, and with some handholding, but isn't ready for daily operations. They might be able to get it to limp through a media preview.

Any indications on what the issues are? I read something about the computer system to run it?

gorillaball

Yeeaaahhhh....2500/ 4 scanners = 625 people per scanner. If each scan took 10 seconds, that would be 6 people per minute. So 104 minutes. 5 seconds per scan, 12 people per minute = 52 minutes. They have to plan on having a bunch of CMs with handhelds. I can do a 5 second scan with my plastic card, but the little kids too short to match Mickey to Mickey but want to it themselves...hmm.

Where is the "10 minutes" coming from?

hopemax

Where is the "10 minutes" coming from?

I didn't say "10 minutes." I said 10 seconds per scan, just guestimating if that was the flow rate how many minutes it would take to process 625 people. That gave an answer of 1 hr and 44 minutes, which is not a logical outcome. So I dropped it to 5 seconds per scan, and that got it down to 52 minutes. Still too high given that some people won't be that efficient. I knew there had to be something else Disney was planning.

So yeah, if they could scan one band per party it would make it faster.

PuertoRekinSam

As a project manager it is important to remember that resources fit in 3 major categories: money, people and things. In many cases you can squeeze these around. More money can be used to by more labor; but more labor does not always mean faster results. For example more money and labor cannot make concrete cure faster; more programmers on one piece of software might not help if the project can not be broken down into smaller parts. Or my all time favorite:

Nine women can not have a single baby in a month.

In a minor defense of Disney, on any highly technical project using new technologies sometimes completely unexpected mechanical/software glitches happen. Some of these can't be fixed simply by throwing more money at them; they take time to research and reengineer. This can occur on a software development project, and architectural project, a network installation project, and even on a Broadway show. And RoL has elements of all of the above. If they "went cheap" on the initial research engineering, then bad on Disney. If the large lotus doesn't fit under the bridge because someone didn't measure correctly, then REALLY bad on Disney. If they announced an opening date before they KNEW that all of the technical difficulties were solved, then bad on Disney (and for me, this is the biggest issue). But if the problems really are unforeseen glitches in a new technology, then saying that the time it takes to resolve those issues is a function of money being spent is not a fair or realistic response. I hope they've learned their lesson and KNOW they have a fully functioning show before announcing a new opening date.

LongtimeReader

RoL is a welcome addition to AK, but I must admit that every time I think of the show I see dirty green water spraying into the air for everyone to breathe. :eek: Did they clean up the 'river' or are they pumping in clean water just for the show's waterworks? I'm thinking it has to be clean water.

The water will come from tanks under the boats. The lake water is not clean enough to spray all over dancers, and possibly on guests.

Cesar R M

Exactly. One of my favorite quotes:

"Old age and perseverance can overcome youth and skill! "
are you calling me old and unskillfull sire?
*dramatic old man fist shake*

No it isn't budget cuts. This is causing Disney a major headache, so certainly isn't something they would want to happen.

The show can run on a limited basis, and with some handholding, but isn't ready for daily operations. They might be able to get it to limp through a media preview.
just do the same as crowd control, use tons of CPers to "paddle" the floats and boats :hilarious:

Cesar R M

Yeeaaahhhh....2500/ 4 scanners = 625 people per scanner. If each scan took 10 seconds, that would be 6 people per minute. So 104 minutes. 5 seconds per scan, 12 people per minute = 52 minutes. They have to plan on having a bunch of CMs with handhelds. I can do a 5 second scan with my plastic card, but the little kids too short to match Mickey to Mickey but want to it themselves...hmm.
eeeh, after seeing how much the sensors take on a busy day.. Id think 10 is a bit tad too optimistic.

Figment2005

Does anyone know how much of RoL's seating capacity is to be reserved for FastPass+?

Based on the seating configuration, the number looks to be either "all" or "half." But either of those numbers brings with some operational issues.

If it's "all", then 5K out of 30-40K people in the park get seats to see the show. I'm assuming there'll be SRO areas somewhere else around the lake? Probably not in Asia because of the walkways, but maybe Dinoland?

If it's "half", then they'll need a way to count 2,500 people in a standby line, so that people at the EOL don't wait for a show they can't get in to.

I'm interested in hearing what the plan is for this show, based on its relatively low capacity.

Len
Fastpasses will be asia, dining and standby will be dinoland.

Doug Means

Delaying the opening would not be due to budget cuts. In fact, any delay would be costing them money for every day beyond the scheduled opening. This is a tech thing, it happens. They can still preview the pieces that work to the media, programming a B-mode display to show off the eye candy, but they likely are having issues that prevent them from turning the proverbial keys over to ops and letting it run.
oh no the "B" mode...yeti all over again?

note2001

If the media event is still happening won't videos and pics end up leaking?

That would not be a bad thing. Disney wants to keep the excitement building to encourage folk to come see it in person. Some "Ooh!"s and "Ahh!"s blanketing the web might help cover up the noise of the still echoing thud created when they canceled the opening date.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
That would not be a bad thing. Disney wants to keep the excitement building to encourage folk to come see it in person. Some "Ooh!"s and "Ahh!"s blanketing the web might help cover up the noise of the still echoing thud created when they canceled the opening date.
You think doing a performance of the show before the cancelled debut, and then putting videos online would be a good thing? Don't you the masses might be wondering if the show can be done, why isn't it opening?

note2001

You think doing a performance of the show before the cancelled debut, and then putting videos online would be a good thing? Don't you the masses might be wondering if the show can be done, why isn't it opening?

Well, my assumption, and I may be wrong here, is that most people understand that previews and completed product are occasionally different and there is a time lapse between the two as various aspects are resolved. Happens in movies, shows, and even products.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom