New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

lentesta

Premium Member
I'm trying to figure out how much SRO they'll have. There's a lot of treeline around the river, and Flame Tree takes up a chunk of the opposite short. I may need to do a walk-around in a couple of weeks.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm trying to figure out how much SRO they'll have. There's a lot of treeline around the river, and Flame Tree takes up a chunk of the opposite short. I may need to do a walk-around in a couple of weeks.
Operationally I don't think they will want people in the walkways - I think it will be discouraged. The way this show is setup its very much geared towards those seating areas.

lentesta

Premium Member

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
That's what's got me baffled. Motley Fool says that there'll be partially-obstructed SRO outside the seating area. But even with that and 2 shows per night, they're going to turn guests away during peak periods.

FWIW I checked with our media contact. She had no info at all.
I believe they are basing that on the comments made during the webcast, where it was mentioned the show would be visible outside of the seating area. I didn't interpret that at the time as saying there would be designated zones outside of the seating area, but that it would be possible to see it from the walkways.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it go 100% FP at some point, or even right off the bat. I don't think they have the space to organize a standby line, as well as to orchestrate the FP+ arrivals.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Operationally I don't think they will want people in the walkways - I think it will be discouraged. The way this show is setup its very much geared towards those seating areas.
It is. And even with three shows the capacity issue will be a PR and GS nightmare.

Think of the family with 2.4 children on their first and ever trip who still don't know what a fast pass is let alone that they might need one. Assuming they can get one on the day.

I hope the company have a good plan.

twebber55

I believe they are basing that on the comments made during the webcast, where it was mentioned the show would be visible outside of the seating area. I didn't interpret that at the time as saying there would be designated zones outside of the seating area, but that it would be possible to see it from the walkways.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it go 100% FP at some point, or even right off the bat. I don't think they have the space to organize a standby line, as well as to orchestrate the FP+ arrivals.
just throwing it out there because i have no idea
if they do three shows could two of them be FP and one stand by?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
just throwing it out there because i have no idea
if they do three shows could two of them be FP and one stand by?
They could do that, but I think there will be a real desire to have a high level of FP+ inventory available. I would be surprised.

Either way, it will be interesting to see how things go, and how it changes over time.

MadMax11

I'm assuming they're going to wait till the sun goes down to do this show. That's not until around 8:30 in the summer time in Orlando. So are they planning on having the park open till 9:30?

hpyhnt 1000

I expect the plan to be a very high ratio of FP+, and premium packages.

They could do that, but I think there will be a real desire to have a high level of FP+ inventory available. I would be surprised.

Either way, it will be interesting to see how things go, and how it changes over time.

I'm guessing the hope is the other nighttime offerings help keep complaints down. Between the ToL Awakenings, the Carnivale party, and Harambe Market music/dancing, there's a lot of other entertainment planned for the park. At least CMs will be able to direct unlucky guests to those things.

Regarding standing room and crowd control, was it ever announced what is happening with Expedition Everest during the show?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm guessing the hope is the other nighttime offerings help keep complaints down. Between the ToL Awakenings, the Carnivale party, and Harambe Market music/dancing, there's a lot of other entertainment planned for the park. At least CMs will be able to direct unlucky guests to those things.

Regarding standing room and crowd control, was it ever announced what is happening with Expedition Everest during the show?
I don't see any impact to Everest. From an ops standpoint it would be chaos.

hpyhnt 1000

Another thought on all this is Avatarland and what that area could be like at night. Given the bioluminescence and how that is being incorporated around the entire land, perhaps there could be "light" shows that take place across the land a few times each night? I'm thinking something similar to Pixie Hollow at Disneyland (but on a scale of the entire land):

If something like that happens, all of a sudden you have 5(!) distinct nighttime entertainment options: 2 dance/music areas, ToL Awakenings, and the Avatarland bioluminescence show(s), with Rivers of Light being the headliner.

With that much going on, that can reduce pressure on RoL because it's not the "only" nighttime show.

TTA94

So I'm assuming it's not the situation where they are still working day and night to open the show ASAP, but rather they already have a opening date in mind of June and even if they Could have the show ready in let's say a week or two out from the 22nd, they will still wait till June to open?

Blairnicol

Of course my inner cynic is asking is the real reason behind RoL not opening on time being the huge park budget cuts in that the attraction may indeed be show ready but AK simply does not have sufficient operating budget to run the park with ROL and extended hours

Reality of business is that one needs gold to breed gold.
You say that like part of you ISN'T cynical...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom