New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

halltd

I agree that it shouldn't open until it's ready, the fail here on Disney's park was announcing a firm date then not being able to meet it. They are normally very conservative with the release of opening days, so it's surprising to see them miss one.
I'm with you on this one. I really wish Disney had just opened it one day for soft openings without telling anyone (even though we know it'd be on Twitter in a matter of seconds) and then announced it was officially opening a week or so later.

But, on the other hand, the level of outrage with the delay is so uncalled for.

dreamfinder912

The only positive I can see is maybe MAYBE Disney realized that rushing things (like...the foundation for an outstanding Yeti AA) leads to very bad results. I'm ed as hell that they gave us a date and moved it, but there's also several pictures of me as a very excited kid in front of the advertisement for Fantasmic that read "Summer 1997" "Fall 1997" and "Spring 1998" so it really can't be that surprising. As long as it's done right and the show elements stay working I'm happy to wait. If it goes the way of 7DMT...I'm not happy to wait.

jrhwdw

Very tough. Delays happen but not usually after you announce a specific opening date. That did not even happen with 7DMT. Throw in the new scaled back TSL concept art and this week was just awful for WDW.
Don't forget Staggs leaving! IDK what that does to the Theme Parks(I'm not an insider)It doesn't sound good.

This week started out so well with DAWM's Fantastic Finale!, The Awaken Summer Commercial, and a first look at MK's 45th Merch. Art.
Too bad the last 31 hours have not been good! What's Next?!?!?!?
Hopefully we can get hope from the work going on the castle stage for MRFF, and DHS' new pyro launch spot coming online as quick as it can(got to be right first!)and Summer can Awaken before SDL does!

oceanbreeze77

So how many ADRs do you think have been cancelled in the last 6 hours? I hope a lot. and I hope disney corp wallets are crying. I know dining at one park is a mere .05% of disney profit but .05% is too much for them.

scoobygirl39541

Ouch, some pretty harsh comments. I have to side with Disney on this. Things happen. Looks like they're focusing on quality for the first time in a while. They could always open a partial version and not care. I take this as a good thing. I'll wait for the finished product over something thrown together to meet the date.

oceanbreeze77

Ouch, some pretty harsh comments. I have to side with Disney on this. Things happen. Looks like they're focusing on quality for the first time in a while. They could always open a partial version and not care. I take this as a good thing. I'll wait for the finished product over something thrown together to meet the date.
I wouldn't say people are necessarily mad about improving quality, its the fact that they announced an official premiere date and have hyped this nighttime even up for a month now, encouraging people to book their trips so they don't miss out on all of the nighttime fun. So in result people did book trips, made reservations, bought tickets, etc... And for what?

scoobygirl39541

I wouldn't say people are necessarily mad about improving quality, its the fact that they announced an official premiere date and have hyped this nighttime even up for a month now, encouraging people to book their trips so they don't miss out on all of the nighttime fun. So in result people did book trips, made reservations, bought tickets, etc... And for what?

That's seems a little excessive for a just a new nighttime show, but I'm sure most of those people will have a wonderful time regardless. After all, it's not a full new land. I wouldn't think 15 minutes would make that much of a difference in booking a trip unless they have the time and money to spare.

me_stitch

Premium Member
I can't side with Disney on this, they shouldn't have set a date if they couldn't guarantee it. Plus, it was supposed to coincide with the park staying open later and most of the rides being open after dark.

Cletus

That's seems a little excessive for a just a new nighttime show, but I'm sure most of those people will have a wonderful time regardless. After all, it's not a full new land. I wouldn't think 15 minutes would make that much of a difference in booking a trip unless they have the time and money to spare.

On the flip side, Disney has been so stagnant recently, so the thought of something new was probably a big motivation for people to book a trip to see it. Disney sold this as a "big deal", and people bought into it. I'd be seven shades of ed if I booked a trip based on the hopes of enjoying something new, and then have the rug pulled out from underneath me within 2 weeks.

FigmentForver96

Anyone who booked their trip soley on the idea of a new show opening deserves anything that happens, including delays. Any travel agent would tell you that it is foolish to book around a specific date and just because Disney says something does not mean it needs o be taken as the next holy word. I'm sure they had every intention of opening on April 22nd but it's not happening. Life goes on

Jlasoon

We're finally starting to see some frustration boil over with the Disney fan base. And it's about damn time! This has nothing to do with the delays and more to do with closures, price increases, parks falling apart, the Studios being a shell of what it use to be, MM+, the Shanghai debacle, my damn Tables in Wonderland seeing a 100% price increase YOY, the coming resort fees, the addition of countless hard ticket events and on and on. It's just not fun anymore -- Orlando resident & AP holder for last 10 years.

P.S. Disney & Bob deserve all this incoming.

Last edited:

Jlasoon

Anyone who booked their trip soley on the idea of a new show opening deserves anything that happens, including delays. Any travel agent would tell you that it is foolish to book around a specific date and just because Disney says something does not mean it needs o be taken as the next holy word. I'm sure they had every intention of opening on April 22nd but it's not happening. Life goes on

Give me a break! I live in Orlando, they have damn billboards up advertising this all over the city.

BrerJon

I agree that it shouldn't open until it's ready, the fail here on Disney's park was announcing a firm date then not being able to meet it. They are normally very conservative with the release of opening days, so it's surprising to see them miss one.

They have an obsession with Earth Day for Animal Kingdom, that's why that date was announced as the opening. It sounds nice from a PR point of view, opening on Earth Day, but PR calendars and construction often don't mix well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom