New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Cesar R M

Lots of complaints on the Disney Parks Blog page... I certainly can't say I wouldn't be one of them if I had scheduled a trip around the new DAK shows and upgrades... but seriously, almost any new attraction has *some* shakedown time built in to the schedule; seems like the traditional date of Earth Day for new stuff at DAK is what might have forced a difficult to make date in the first place. Hence all of the daytime tests, etc.
I dont think it will take long before they sanitize the official park blog from the complains.

tnemgif

DC0703

Well, this is one colossal bummer. We're going in early May. I wasn't planning my trip around this, but was certainly looking forward to seeing it. Argh...

It will be a while before I get back to Florida, so Avatar will likely be up by that point. There will be a lot of new stuff to see at AK next time around. I suppose that's the bright side...

jrhwdw

Yeah they have been hit pretty hard on the blog and on Facebook not counting fan forums. You know they are seeing this reaction.
I have not looked at the comments. But in my mind, it doesn't help Disney when they release a beautiful pic of ROL just about ready then say it delayed, Just my opinion, I might be thinking about it wrong.

I know it's not the chosen option but depending on the backlash, Could AK debut ROL in whatever letter mode its' in?(If it's not too bad of course! Like SW: AGFFA!) Then work up to A mode over time? They want to get it right, that's why it's delayed. However, if the blacklash grows, who knows? To be honest, I'm a tiny bit scared to look at the comments on the Parks Blog!

Funny that this came out so soon when the news for ROL was a little better last night on Twitter.

ToTBellHop

I have not looked at the comments. But in my mind, it doesn't help Disney when they release a beautiful pic of ROL just about ready then say it delayed, Just my opinion, I might be thinking about it wrong.

I know it's not the chosen option but depending on the backlash, Could AK debut ROL in whatever letter mode its' in?(If it's not too bad of course! Like SW: AGFFA!) Then work up to A mode over time? They want to get it right, that's why it's delayed. However, if the blacklash grows, who knows? To be honest, I'm a tiny bit scared to look at the comments on the Parks Blog!

Funny that this came out so soon when the news for ROL was a little better last night on Twitter.
Not really. It's not as though show pieces are still in production. Everything is on site. It's an issue of reliability. And they can't have show elements breaking nightly in a new show. That's reserved for Fantasmic! and the Main Street Electrical Parade.

Would you expect them to open a ride with half of the elements broken? You don't open something until it's done.

doctornick

No, I think that would be a bad idea. First impressions are important -- bloggers will be out in full force at opening and videos will be all over the internet with commentary. If the show gets panned and gets a bad rep from the start, it will be hard to shake it. You want to put out your A game to start and dazzle everyone and get good buzz.

People will complain about it starting later, but that will be forgotten over time. Make it good enough and people will say it was worth the wait.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Not really. It's not as though show pieces are still in production. Everything is on site. It's an issue of reliability. And they can't have show elements breaking nightly in a new show. That's reserved for Fantasmic! and the Main Street Electrical Parade.

Would you expect them to open a ride with half of the elements broken? You don't open something until it's done.

I agree that it shouldn't open until it's ready, the fail here on Disney's part was announcing a firm date then not being able to meet it. They are normally very conservative with the release of opening days, so it's surprising to see them miss one.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I agree that it shouldn't open until it's ready, the fail here on Disney's park was announcing a firm date then not being able to meet it. They are normally very conservative with the release of opening days, so it's surprising to see them miss one.
Yeah. I'm sure there is some background story here that we will never hear. It has been apparent for several weeks now that the opening date was in question. It was tacky of them to announce a date when they were unsure and to wait until 2 1/2 weeks out to update us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom