New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If someone wants to take the time and sort it out, the link below gives the spring break weeks for quite a few colleges. While most do seem to center around the weeks before and after Easter, there are plenty of places with spring break dates ranging from late February to early April.

http://blog.studentcity.com/when-is-my-spring-break

This will of course make the weeks flanking Easter busier and result in a room premium, (this fact cost me an extra $1500 for my upcoming cruise) but the other weeks will not be far behind in attendance and will result in a slightly lower, but still present room premium.

If you look at Disney resort seasons, the first 2 weeks of March are designated as "peak".

http://www.mousesavers.com/2016-all-star-movies-room-rates-season-dates/

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I respectfully disagree. For one DVC points are over 4 times more during "spring break" -- the week of Easter -- than other times your "spring break". A much larger percentage of the country - students and employees" -- are off during the week of Easter than any other time in your spring break. There are some that are off other times, but it is a very small percentage compared.

1 x 4 = 4
2 x 4 =8
15 x 4 = 60

A deluxe studio at my home resort (VWL) costs 15 points per night during the cheapest or value season. It costs 24 points per night 3/20-04/02 which is the most expensive or premier season. I believe 24 < 60. Also, a 2 bedroom villa costs 37 points Sun-Th of the value season and 63 points premier season. If you're talking about renting points to get a room, usually the price per point stays the same and you pay more if you're getting points in a season that costs more points.

Now onto the dates. DVC has 5 seaons, Adventure, Choice, Dream, Magic, and Premier in order from least number of points required to most number of points required. The dates @Next Big Thing is talking about fall into "Magic" with the two weeks you're talking about falling into "Premier". "Magic" Season is pretty crowded too. Some spring breaks even start as early as late February.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So they will have the look of the Illuminations fountains in terms of brightness and color?
Depends how there used. WoC and Dreams use LED rings around each nozzle which work best when the water is in a straight line going directly up. RoE uses parcans - directional floodlights in a way - to illuminate the wider path of a curved jet (though they may upgrade to LED parcans soon)

Wikkler

April 22nd?! Booo! Disney couldn't have this ready for all the spring breakers?! Selfish, I know, but this sucks.
Maybe Disney is waiting until a less crowded time of year so they could fix any technical problems before the cluster that is summer break?
Or perhaps they're going for the symbolism of AK's anniversary, and Earth Day?

TTA94

Honestly I hope for us fans, and locals that they do offer a couple hard ticket events prior to the 22nd. Having Everyone decend on DAK on the 22nd will be a horrid nightmare! Granted with the 22nd being DAKs Anniversary and Earth Day us fans, APs and CMs will still want to be there, but at least having the opportunity to see the new stuff prior to the big crazy opening day would take some demand off DAK. I think it's going to be ruff getting Close to that viewing area once the show officially opens, and FPs and dining packages will be very hard to come by for awhile. Don't even get me started with how crazy the nighttime Safari will be...

TTA94

Do we know if there will be a FP+ viewing location for the ToL shows? I know they are supposed to be off and on during the evening. And will the projections "wrap" the tree allowing it to be seen from different locations?

ToTBellHop

Do we know if there will be a FP+ viewing location for the ToL shows? I know they are supposed to be off and on during the evening. And will the projections "wrap" the tree allowing it to be seen from different locations?
No FP. Don't know on your second question. I imagine it will wrap so it can be seen from the entry and RoL. Best view would certainly be from the front of the park.

GiveMeTheMusic

These are just going to be random 3 minute projection shows that happen throughout the evening. No need for formal viewing areas.

TTA94

Another question for you guys, is the music in the last video Disney posted part of the show soundtrack? If not anyone know what it's from?

ToTBellHop

Wrong.

WDW internally thinks of "Spring Break" as the time from March 1 to Mid-April. The parks are packed every single day in that 6-week span and it's due to Spring Break times being spread out around the country.
Then why are they begging people to add another night for cheap for the next two weeks?

No Name

I am and have always been very excited for this show. The new info on the moving lanterns and floats in the water just affirms my excitement.

After seeing the preview video and reading the description on the parks blog, isn't this the sort of Disney 'thing' that so many people on this site have been clambering for? A truly original attraction that is not built upon the foundation of a latest and greatest popular IP. This is like Illuminations for me - a park-stopping spectacle that the Imagineers have put their heart and soul into, and something that is truly unique and creative. I hear that there will be DisneyNature footage that is being used, but how much better is that than something akin to a popular reindeer from Frozen?

Oh yes, I am super glad that this is original and I'm pleasantly surprised that smart minds prevailed here. This is a prime example of where no IP involvement makes the result leagues better. First of all, movie characters would only take away from the show. And second of all, even though there is no frozen raindeer or any other animated character(s), the show isn't any less appealing to younger children. In fact, the show would've been less appealing to many adults if it had included those. So because RoL is exciting, original, and fits the theme of the rest of the oark, it'll be spectacular to every average viewer no matter how young or old. People will enjoy the projections, the lights, the motion, and the message. And it'll make the day so much more cohesive, which will in turn make it far more powerful and memorable.

Disney made the right decision here, and I don't want to lay credit in the wrong places, but I think Joe Rohde is one of the few left in the house of imagineering that could really deliver that point (and probably did) well enough. Well enough to get big-IP-man Tom Staggs to agree. So credit to Tom Staggs for approving it as well.

And when you have the right people in the right places, the right things happen.

Jon81uk

The tree of life awakenings are only three minutes long, you won't need FP for them. Just be in the right place at the right time and see some magic.

twebber55

I am and have always been very excited for this show. The new info on the moving lanterns and floats in the water just affirms my excitement.

Oh yes, I am super glad that this is original and I'm pleasantly surprised that smart minds prevailed here. This is a prime example of where no IP involvement makes the result leagues better. First of all, movie characters would only take away from the show. And second of all, even though there is no frozen raindeer or any other animated character(s), the show isn't any less appealing to younger children. In fact, the show would've been less appealing to many adults if it had included those. So because RoL is exciting, original, and fits the theme of the rest of the oark, it'll be spectacular to every average viewer no matter how young or old. People will enjoy the projections, the lights, the motion, and the message. And it'll make the day so much more cohesive, which will in turn make it far more powerful and memorable.

Disney made the right decision here, and I don't want to lay credit in the wrong places, but I think Joe Rohde is one of the few left in the house of imagineering that could really deliver that point (and probably did) well enough. Well enough to get big-IP-man Tom Staggs to agree. So credit to Tom Staggs for approving it as well.

And when you have the right people in the right places, the right things happen.
seems like this show will be quite unique in delivery as well, makes sense, since DAK is quite unique as a park

TTA94

Is there still going to be fire in the show? The only thing they had showed with fire was the riser, temple coming out of the lotus flower. Any flame throwers?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom